Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Peterborough United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 22568 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 00:00:01 »

The Opponent:  Peterborough United

Looking back to the 1st game of the season I seem to remember us giving a pretty decent account of ourselves at London Road and this season seems to have followed in the same sort of vein, playing some nice football but not always getting the results we deserve. We now find ourselves facing The Posh for the first of 3 fixtures in a short space of time, each with thee own potential rewards. Let’s start with the 3 points today please, our season is not over yet, even if the latest transfer talk hasn’t got the pulse rate N’gooing.  A lot of teams around the top have had sustained periods of form, it has to be our turn soon and getting a positive result today could be the catalyst needed to get us up the table and firmly on our way to Wembley. Peterborough are decent, they started this season as one of the favourites for League 1 and have proved to be true to this although 3 league defeats on the bounce and a lucky draw in the FA Cup against Kidderminster says this lot are beatable. We can still beat anyone in this league on our day, we will miss 1 or 2 players, no doubt about it, we have the testicles for it, take note Mr Cooper and show us you have the testies to match.

Peterborough, a City not dissimilar to our town of Swindon, make the journey to SN1 this afternoon, (along with Posh Red one would imagine). With a population of just over 200’000, Peterborough is home to one of the largest concentrations of Italian immigrants in the UK. This is mainly as a result of labour recruitment in the 1950s by the London Brick Company in the southern Italian regions of Apulia and Campania. By 1960 approximately 3,000 Italian men were employed by London Brick, mostly at the Fletton works. Peterborough has its fair share of famous births including that of footballer David Bentley, Andy Bell of Erasure fame, world famous astronomer George Alcock and Henry Royce, Co Founder of Rolls Royce. It also has a few notable names that have called Peterborough their home for years, such as Ernie Wise, general tosser Adrian Durham, and Jimmy Savile, who spent years raising money to open a new children’s ward at the local hospital. Ta-daaa.

Where the opposition gather –  Visiting fans take the piss out of the magic roundabout shocker.

http://www.theposhforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24379

Last 6 – WDWLLL (5th on 39 points)

They have served us both – John Sheffield, Kevin Dearden, Nicky Ajose, Claude Gnapka, Mark Cooper, Don Heath, Steve Jenkins, Lloyd Opara, Fred Laycock, David Ball, Bobby Barnes, Kenny Alan, Graz, Trevor Benjamin, Sol Davis, Jim Barron

The Odds -  Swindon 13/10 Draw 5/2 Peterborough 23/10 If you fancy playing it safe with a draw then a 1-1 at 7/1 with Ladbrokes could be worth a shout.

The Son Says –  Hmmmm, they ain’t bad are they he says. 3-2 win.

The Prediction – We will throw everything at them today, and despite the obvious talent they have in the team we will win 3-1, goals from Pritchard, Storey and Ryan Mason. 8'055 with 404 from Posh.

And Finally – Interestingly, Peterborough is the largest town or city in the UK without any local radio of its own, although it is covered by four local radio stations and one regional station.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 00:53:16 »

Good write up Shaw Rosso

Interesting you should mention the local radio angle, as I've been listening to  a show called DoomWatch on Peterborough FM in recent months. I'm very surprised that a small enterprise espousing fairly controversial views has secured an FM license.

2-2, Swindon to lead twice, 7,908, a respectable 622 from Posh. And we'll dick 'em in the JPT.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 01:49:16 »

Ha, one of my uncles is from Peterborough.

0-1  Sad
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 02:10:16 »

I've got a good feeling about this!  2-1 Swindon COYR
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 02:11:41 »

I like Peterborough..despite my mother being convinced they were our ultimate bogey team because we lost to them twice
 within 3 days in 63. We may be the only two clubs relegated for financial irregularities, when plenty of others have been up to creative accountancy..share a common bond in a sizeable number of Poles living in the conurbation...and have a unique early sacred feature on the doorstep....in their case Flag Fen in ours...the Broome monolith and the Day House Lane stone circle.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 06:16:02 »

Gone for a 2-2 draw, but I think it very much depends upon what side we field.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 07:20:59 »

Did'nt Pritchard spend some time with Posh last season? thought they tried to sign him at the start of the season but lost out to us. Anyway,2-2 draw with goals from Branco and Storey
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 07:23:16 »

Hmmm feeling a win on this one.
Lets hope the curse of the old player doesnt strike re Ajose.

4 hours of work to get out the way then lets have the first town game this year
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 07:47:00 »

Jon Sheffield.

What a keeper!

What a mullet!
corner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 08:23:37 »

@BBCWiltshire: FOOTBALL: #pufc manager Darren Ferguson has suggested that #stfc have tried to get info on his team from ex-loanee Nicky Ajose #swindon
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 08:42:14 »

@BBCWiltshire: FOOTBALL: #pufc manager Darren Ferguson has suggested that #stfc have tried to get info on his team from ex-loanee Nicky Ajose #swindon

And he's done the same to us.

Twat.

He's a shit manager anyway, spent loads of £ and used to live off his old man.
When he had to manage properly at Preston he only lasted 3 months or so didnt he
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 08:44:24 by tans » Logged
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 08:44:07 »

Twat.

like father like son

I come from a land down-under
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 08:44:41 »

Did Ajose say no way?
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 09:07:56 »

Twat.

He's a shit manager anyway, spent loads of £ and used to live off his old man.
When he had to manage properly at Preston he only lasted 3 months or so didnt he

Then when he got sacked daddy threw his toys out of the pram and withdrew all the loans.

What an utterly cunty cunt.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 11, 2014, 09:25:30 »

Er...and?  In what way does that constitute news?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: