Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Di Canio  (Read 27024 times)
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 12:07:41 »

Brian Clough always maintained that it takes a player some six months to settle properly into a team and got to say that after only five games with a load of new players it is a bit of a knee jerk reaction. However PDC is his own worst enemy and the American money man already had form as a hire and fire person so it was going to happen sooner or later.

Having seen so much dire rubbish over the years at the County Ground I for one will remember him with a fair amount of gratitude.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 12:24:34 »

On his man-management skills, I've seen some experts suggesting that you can't 'rule with an iron fist' at the top level... that is a personality/cultural failure of overpaid Premier league footballers, more so than Di Canio, in my opinion. If managers, refs, and the authorities were more hard-line with players and agents etc, things might be rosier up there and in the national team set up.

But then I really don't like most modern top-level footballers. Give me a load of Thompsons, Wards, Kasims, and McEveleys any day.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 12:54:04 »

On his man-management skills, I've seen some experts suggesting that you can't 'rule with an iron fist' at the top level... that is a personality/cultural failure of overpaid Premier league footballers, more so than Di Canio, in my opinion.

I'm not sure this is true. I'm pretty sure SAF had a relatively authoritarian management style, as did Martin O'Neill and quite a few others. It's just you have to bring something else to the table as well.

Players will go along with the shouting and yelling, extra fitness training, discipline and everything if they believe in the plan.

They'll put up with the manager being a media whore if he knows what he's doing on the training pitch, so they know what they're supposed to be doing during games.

They'll even stomach a few of their team mates getting slagged-off in the media and even bounced out of the club if they can be persuaded that "there's an issue with their attitude" and it's best for the team

SAF managed to get away with cutting Beckham's face with a boot chucked around the dressing room in fury, and then selling him on when he was at the peak of his career, and the rest of the team swallowed it and got on with playing because they believed in him.

..never go back.
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #93 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 18:02:59 »

I think his next job will be in Europe.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 18:48:39 »

It really is pathetic how the ill-informed media still can't resist bringing in Mussolini into their maledictory epitaphs.  Di Canio has likely been well used by Short to keep Sunderland up and to be the fall guy for some summer cost-cutting.  I am a huge admirer of DiCanio but he wears his heart on his sleeve and not really very intelligently - his appeal to the fans yesterday was a real "come and sack me" plea.  If ever a manager needed a strong no. 2 it's PDC.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #95 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:01:21 »

It really is pathetic how the ill-informed media still can't resist bringing in Mussolini into their maledictory epitaphs.  Di Canio has likely been well used by Short to keep Sunderland up and to be the fall guy for some summer cost-cutting.  I am a huge admirer of DiCanio but he wears his heart on his sleeve and not really very intelligently - his appeal to the fans yesterday was a real "come and sack me" plea.  If ever a manager needed a strong no. 2 it's PDC.

Cost cutting? Wah?
Flashheart

« Reply #96 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:14:44 »

Di Canio has likely been well used by Short to keep Sunderland up and to be the fall guy for some summer cost-cutting. 

dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:23:24 »

I'm also a bit unconvinced about the idea that the transfer activity has been about saving money. They've paid out in transfer fees pretty much every penny that they've received in. Even if the salaries that the new signings are on are lower than the players that went out, I'm not sure they've saved much once you factor in the loyalty payments they'll have paid to the outgoing players, signing on bonuses for those coming in and agents fees.

And PDC made pretty clear at the end of last season that it was him that wanted a clear out of the squad. Pretty much named the players he wanted rid of.

..never go back.
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, September 23, 2013, 19:38:15 »

I watched "The Damned United" the other night.

It seems an oddly familiar story.

"Absolute Calamity!"
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:03:42 »

Tommy Miller singing his praises on SSN this morning, that's at least one ex-player who has something positive to say...
DMR

« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:50:29 »

Not sure how this passed me by at the time, but no ice in your Coke, no mayo in your sandwich and no singing...

What a complete mongoloid
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 07:57:45 »

Not sure how this passed me by at the time, but no ice in your Coke, no mayo in your sandwich and no singing...

What a complete mongoloid

And the kicking out of all the other staff from the canteen when the players were in there. What a Hitler
iffy

« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:08:02 »

I'm not sure this is true. I'm pretty sure SAF had a relatively authoritarian management style, as did Martin O'Neill and quite a few others. It's just you have to bring something else to the table as well.

Watch this and look at the way Ferguson talks about developing youth, building a team, teammates supporting each other when they're having a bad game. Compare it to how di Canio talks about his players.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xll8nu_interview-sir-alex-ferguson-avec-fabien-barthez_sport

There's a world of difference between Ferguson's discipline and di Canio's authoritarianism. Ferguson recognises you get what you give. Di Canio never did.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:12:40 »

Superb interview.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 10:06:41 »

Watch this and look at the way Ferguson talks about developing youth, building a team, teammates supporting each other when they're having a bad game. Compare it to how di Canio talks about his players.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xll8nu_interview-sir-alex-ferguson-avec-fabien-barthez_sport

There's a world of difference between Ferguson's discipline and di Canio's authoritarianism. Ferguson recognises you get what you give. Di Canio never did.

This was kind of my point. You can be the strict disciplinarian, but it can't be all that you do..

..never go back.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: