Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 83   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 237532 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #750 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:47:42 »

Problem with that is most fans will say that they are still in league 2, Swindon should be the Championship blah blah blah.

Of course, promotion is always the plan but we all seem to have indulged in this desire a little too much. This is particularly true of Jeremy Wray and partly why we're in this situation right now.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #751 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:48:24 »

I'd like Tisdale too as he'd add a certain sartorial elegance that we've been missing since Paolo.

That and I live in Exeter so I could be very smug if it happened. 
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #752 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:50:38 »

Problem with that is most fans will say that they are still in league 2, Swindon should be the Championship blah blah blah.

Of course, promotion is always the plan but we all seem to have indulged in this desire a little too much. This is particularly true of Jeremy Wray and partly why we're in this situation right now.

I agree but if we appoint our 'Gary Johnson', someone who has done the business lower down the pyramid then all parties may be satisfied long term.

Some Town fans obsess with celebrity (not always on TEF) ahead of practicality.

Danny Wilson's return it is Smiley
« Last Edit: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:52:35 by Costanza » Logged
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #753 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:57:37 »

We should have appointed Tisdale every time since (and including) Malpas got the job

Agreed (although I'll let them off with Paolo).
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #754 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:06:25 »

I know its important to get the right guy and i agree with this really

A part of the major appeal of Tisdale is his commitment to a small club project.

The next appointment could well be considered 'dull' and it could be one of the most important at this club for many years.

At the moment we've got a half complete squad and no manager and its less than 2 weeks till the start of the season. Is there no urgency from the board? No reason to be any longer delay if its going to be Cooper so can only hope that means it wont be him.

Maybe the delay is negotiating with Exeter/Tisdale. Maybe the Ryan Harley link is somebody Tisdale wants and they are on the case while they negotiate with Exeter?

This is the last real week of preseason, next week is preparing for first game like any other week in the season. Its integral to get someone out to portugal now to work with the players. Think our start is going to be terrible and it will be a fight from there on.
kerry red

« Reply #755 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:11:07 »

A part of the major appeal of Tisdale is his commitment to a small club project. We need a Paul Tisdale/Chris Wilder/Greg Abbott/Mark Yates guy.

No thrills, ample commitment to the cause and therefore, hopefully, stability.

... and yes I mentioned Wilder but not in the sense of joining Swindon (far from it). One could argue that Carlisle and Cheltenham 'punch above their weight' and Oxford for all their flaws have settled back in the Football League with relative ease while Exeter operate under a shoestring and up until recently were in League One against the odds.

The next appointment could well be considered 'dull' and it could be one of the most important at this club for many years.

FFS - if you think a Wilder-type is what we need I'll slit my wrists now.

Oxford are a big club for the basement league - they should have risen on the back of winning the Conf before now - as much as it pains me to say it.

The longer he stays there, the happier I'll be
DRS

« Reply #756 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:15:28 »

I know its important to get the right guy and i agree with this really

At the moment we've got a half complete squad and no manager and its less than 2 weeks till the start of the season. Is there no urgency from the board? No reason to be any longer delay if its going to be Cooper so can only hope that means it wont be him.

Maybe the delay is negotiating with Exeter/Tisdale. Maybe the Ryan Harley link is somebody Tisdale wants and they are on the case while they negotiate with Exeter?

This is the last real week of preseason, next week is preparing for first game like any other week in the season. Its integral to get someone out to portugal now to work with the players. Think our start is going to be terrible and it will be a fight from there on.

Whoah Whoah what?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #757 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:18:27 »

FFS - if you think a Wilder-type is what we need I'll slit my wrists now.

Oxford are a big club for the basement league - they should have risen on the back of winning the Conf before now - as much as it pains me to say it.

The longer he stays there, the happier I'll be

Drats! I desperately tried to avoid this reaction but alas...

When Chris Wilder was appointed, they were a Conference club struggling to get out. Oxford appointed him, they got out of Non-League and have settled back in the Football League adequately enough. This, no matter some Oxford fans will say, is better than trips to Histon in the League. We all know how fickle supporters can be, choosing to ignore the grand scheme of things so they can talk about that great era of whenever.

Our scenario is that we are a League One club restructuring to accommodate our current financial plan. Is it wise to appoint someone like Robbie Fowler and Peter Schmeichel with zero experience and no open cheque book or is it sensible to appoint a seasoned pro with these restrictions?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #758 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:21:30 »

Can someone lump a load of money on Ståle Solbakken or Henning Berg? I want to see a Norwegian in the Adver.

london_red

Ignore
« Reply #759 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:24:36 »

When Chris Wilder was appointed, they were a Conference club struggling to get out. Oxford appointed him, they got out of Non-League and have settled back in the Football League adequately enough. This, no matter some Oxford fans will say, is better than trips to Histon in the League. We all know how fickle supporters can be, choosing to ignore the grand scheme of things so they can talk about that great era of whenever.

Our scenario is that we are a League One club restructuring to accommodate our current financial plan. Is it wise to appoint someone like Robbie Fowler and Peter Schmeichel with zero experience and no open cheque book or is it sensible to appoint a seasoned pro with these restrictions?

Bang on
kerry red

« Reply #760 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:26:04 »

Drats! I desperately tried to avoid this reaction but alas...

I have no problem with you citing Wilder, it's just that he has had a decent budget for League 2 for the past few seasons and they appear to have stagnated.

You appear to be advocating more than one season of mind numbing mediocrity
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #761 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:27:07 »

Lets just appoint Hope Powell and be done with it!
kaufman

« Reply #762 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:28:33 »

I really hope it's Tisdale, but he just seems to be getting on with his job at Exeter and nothing out their way is suggesting he's coming to us.

Hope I'm wrong
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #763 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:30:35 »

Hmm, I'm not against a been there done that 'boring' managerial appointment but it has to be the right one.

Sturrock was a good choice when we signed him and I wouldn't be against Tisdale at all.

However, you have to draw the line somewhere. 2 years ago people on here wanted George Burley citing things he'd done 10 years previous.

If its a boring appointment it has to somebody who still has something to give who isn't a has been journey man desperate to squeeze as much money out of the last remains of his career before he is done.

The upside to appointing a rookie, is they have to make it work here otherwise that could well be their career done and dusted. However, this usually means some experienced back room staff - KMac was never offered this it would seem. So would a new rookie be able to bring in a team?

Would a Tisdale be allowed to bring in a team?
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #764 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:32:39 »

Cooper is here either as manager or ass manager ... Just depends if Jed can find anyone cheaper!
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 ... 83   Go Up
Print
Jump to: