Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Second test  (Read 6068 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 17:56:41 »

Quote from: "Nemo"
To be fair, if they were being bribed, I can't imagine there'd be much money to be made on New Zealand losing.

The far eastern betting market moves in mysterious ways...ask Marlon Samuels.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 19:15:34 »

I suppose there'd be some decent odds when NZ were 85-1 in their second innings.

So what would you do for the final test? I'd be tempted to give the batsman a kick up the behind in the same way as they did to the bowlers in Napier. Send Collingwood back to Durham to get ready for the one dayers and give Bell a few weeks in the County game as well, bringing in Shah and Bopara, who seem to be the favoured replacements at the minute. Tremlett for Anderson might be worth a go as well.

I can see an unchanged team though.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 20:04:19 »

why would you make shitloads of changes to a side which hasn't yet won the series?

Things get better but they never get good
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 20:20:10 »

because this is a side which has underperformed for three years and scraping by in this test should not hide some of the deficiencis - eg. bell has never scored a test ton when someone hasn't scored one before him, collingwood is horrificly out of form and anderson is never going to be consistent
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 20:23:04 »

Quote from: "STFC dave"
why would you make shitloads of changes to a side which hasn't yet won the series?

Knowing our selectors they'll wait till next summer when the Aussies are here to do that. I sense another 5-0 or 4-1 in next years Ashes  Sad
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 21:13:15 »

Quote from: "Boeta"
bell has never scored a test ton when someone hasn't scored one before him,

Is that true?

I knew his weakness was on the mental side but blimey!
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, May 26, 2008, 21:13:47 »

Quote from: "Iffy's Onion Bhaji"
Quote from: "STFC dave"

Knowing our selectors they'll wait till next summer when the Aussies are here to do that. I sense another 5-0 or 4-1 in next years Ashes  Sad

unfortunately I think you may be right.
DMR

« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 09:53:13 »

because this is a side which has underperformed for three years and scraping by in this test should not hide some of the deficiencis - eg. bell has never scored a test ton when someone hasn't scored one before him, collingwood is horrificly out of form and anderson is never going to be consistent

You said yourself after the 05 Ashes that Bell will be one of the best players in the world. I raised an eyebrow at the time, it's nearly disappeared off the back of me head now.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 10:04:23 »

He's got all the technique in the world, he just needs to toughen up a bit. I think he can be world class, but i'm not sure whether he will.
DMR

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 10:05:06 »

He needs to bat at 3.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 10:10:29 »

True. At the moment our cricket team seems to be a bit like our football team- trying to get the best players on the pitch, no matter what the position.

Bell's close fielding can't be underestimated as an advantage though.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 11:17:56 »

I think something needs to be done about the middle order. As has been said before, Bell's still not quite there and Collingwood seems to have lost his edge. And for all his skill, Pieterson just doesn't stay at the crease long enough.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 13:16:56 »

I'd move Bell further up the order. I think he is capable of doing well as he's hit some great knocks for England but does need to do it more often
McLovin

« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 13:33:13 »

Some of Colly's shots yesterday were embarassing... and why did Hair not give him out to Vettori? Seemed a strange one that
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, May 27, 2008, 15:20:04 »

Quote from: "DMR"

You said yourself after the 05 Ashes that Bell will be one of the best players in the world. I raised an eyebrow at the time, it's nearly disappeared off the back of me head now.
but there's only so long you can live on what you should be delivering, not what you are actually delivering.

Quote from: "reeves4england"
I'd move Bell further up the order. I think he is capable of doing well as he's hit some great knocks for England but does need to do it more often

1) why would you move him up the order? who would he displace?
2) name me one

i have been a massive fan of bell but there comes a point where you have to say he's let his mouth do the talking (remember the stuff about trying to be england's ponting a year ago) rather than his bat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: