Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Official Matchday Thread  (Read 18430 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 01:11:26 »

Good shout out to 'Marvin Cassidy' on the FL Show tonight!!!
Panda Paws

« Reply #166 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 01:23:23 »

Only just got round to posting my thoughts on the game.  First off, as others have said, huge respect to Marcus and his lads for getting the game on and kudos to the 1300 Wednesday fans for battling down here. It was a really good game, not much between the two sides and plenty of drama.

Lucas done excellently coming back in the side, and I for one really hope he will continue at number 1. Smithy is great back up but his communication and distribution let him down when compared to Lucas. Nice to see Dave get a good reception from the away fans too.

Back four were very mixed. From the sublime of Cuthbert and Caddis to the abysmal - certainly first half at least - Morrison. Rose is a real worry defensively and their wide boy (Teale?) had him on toast again and again. Would like to see Sheehan work his way back in.

Dougie was immense and, with Caddis, should have been in with a shout of MOM. A neutral friend of mine who I went with was very impressed with JD, he just seems to be in the right place all the time, keeps us moving and played some superb balls. Charlie and him are by far our most important players. Prutton ran around a lot with out really achieving anything. JPM was better than he has been, and you really can't grumble with a goal and an assist. Ritchie was outstanding, particularly for a spell in the second half just before he unluckily went off.

Austin was Austin. Unbelievable finish - his best goal for us? Work rate, desire, passion and raw talent. Everything his partner seems to lack in my opinion. Vince looked better first half but was abject after the break. I don't agree with booing, but can see why fans get so frustrated. The absolute minimum, the only thing a players must do is work hard, give a 100% and do everything they can for the team. Before he went off he stood and watched the CB win 5 free headers.

Overall, both sides could argue they deserved to win. They were better first half, we shaded the second and it's a massive three points for us. It all means nothing if we then go and lose at Oldham and draw with Tranmere though.

Two final points. The ref, I thought, was excellent. Got the Smith booking spot on and was generally better than we normally get.

And I know people have had a moan about the treatment of Pericard from our fans, but I was more disturbed by the treatment of their young full back Buxton. He was clearly hurt - snapped hammy or whatever - so for the whole ground to boo him off and give him the wanker chant for tearing/pulling a muscle seemed very weird. Obviously he wasn't faking it. Whatever happened to clapping off players who are obviously injured, or at least just ignore them and get on with the game.
Morgan Freeman

People enjoy the sound of my voice

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 01:46:39 »

And I know people have had a moan about the treatment of Pericard from our fans, but I was more disturbed by the treatment of their young full back Buxton. He was clearly hurt - snapped hammy or whatever - so for the whole ground to boo him off and give him the wanker chant for tearing/pulling a muscle seemed very weird. Obviously he wasn't faking it. Whatever happened to clapping off players who are obviously injured, or at least just ignore them and get on with the game.

It certainly looked like he was "faking it" as I was sat right above it. It looked as though he realised he'd lost the ball and just went down, with no one near him. It didn't help his cause when he crawled back onto the pitch though to purposely stop the game.
flammableBen

« Reply #168 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 01:47:20 »

I agree with most of what you've said there pandap. I think smith deserves a bit of credit for the one on one he rushed out for fairly early on.

To me it seems a bit strange talking about Morrison as a young player, today was my first game at the county ground for nearly two years, and he's one of the few players who's still here. how many chances can we give him?

I'd love him to come good, but I don't think we've got the time or first team places to get him there. He was very much the weakest link in our defence today, and I'd like to have seen JFL in his place.

I thought Rose was pretty good, but suffered from our defence loosing it's shape too often. He could work on his positioning a bit, seems like he can do a job.

I can't say I was bothered by the wanker chants at their player. Didn't really realise he was that injured. It wasn't exactly a Keith O'Halloran was it?

Panda Paws

« Reply #169 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 01:58:06 »

I can't say I was bothered by the wanker chants at their player. Didn't really realise he was that injured. It wasn't exactly a Keith O'Halloran was it?

Course not but they signalled for a sub straight away, and it was clear he had pulled or torn something. Just thought it was massively over the top to give him a load of grief for it.

Re Morrison. I honestly think that he will not play higher than the Championship in his career, and even then only if we go up. He's slow and has the turning circle of a bus, plus he's prone to horrendous errors. Fair enough with experience he may cut down the errors but he's always going to be slow, unable to turn and between shit and average on the ball. He's an average L1 CB, and I'll be very surprised if he turns into anything more.

The fuck up for the one-on-one that you rightly point out Smith bailed him out on isn't anything new. Morrison is good for a gift a game, and his lunging tackle straight after was really stupid too.

Reading that back it seems majorly harsh on him, but he shouldnt be first choice CB and only is because we are in desperate need of one. If anyone came anywhere near him with a sizeable cheque he'd be gone if it was up to me.
Panda Paws

« Reply #170 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 02:00:36 »

It certainly looked like he was "faking it" as I was sat right above it. It looked as though he realised he'd lost the ball and just went down, with no one near him. It didn't help his cause when he crawled back onto the pitch though to purposely stop the game.

It may have looked like he was faking it to you, but to me it was quite obvious from the way he went down and the way they signalled for a sub pretty much straight away, combined with the fact that he has been struggling with a hammy injury, that he wasn't faking it.

And crawling back on the pitch (or dragged back on by scummy Purse). Every single player would do exactly the same.
flammableBen

« Reply #171 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 02:14:13 »

I'm pretty much in agreement with you, although I was too busy moaning about being cold to really notice that their player was that fucked. I still don't think it's too much of a big deal, it wasn't as if he was being stretchered off in an ambulance.

I think we're on agreement with Morrison. I'd love him to come good, but I can't see it happening. There's been breaks inbetween, but this must be his third season of regular starting football? If there really were scouts watching him earlier this season then we should have bitten off any offers made.

I hope he comes good, but he's played enough games now that the excuses are running out.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #172 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 02:20:13 »

We returned to our expansive passing game and used the width really well. Build up play as good as I've seen since Wilson took charge.

Defensively we still look a bit shakey, but we are slowly improving. The two Scots at the back were a credit to the side. Arguably Caddis's best game by a mile.

A win I enjoyed and will refrain from spoiling it by being over critical.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 03:35:18 »

Their managers decision to take off johnson and leave clinton morrison on was laughable, and was the reason they caused us so little problems towards the end of the game

Caddis had his best game for us i've seen, as did rose tbf. Prutton could have cost us a couple of goals on another day, but didn't so we musn't grumble too much.

The stick labelled at pericard makes me fucking embarresed to be a swindon fan tonight

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 09:59:14 »

The red card offense is for denying a goal scoring opportunity, which he didn't (as they scored). So for it to be a yellow surely it would need to be a foul that deserves a yellow, and it wasn't. So why a card?

quite clearly ungentlemanly conduct at the very least. He tried to deny their player a goalcoring opportunity. Thankfully the ref played on and so that never surfaced.

but I was more disturbed by the treatment of their young full back Buxton. He was clearly hurt - snapped hammy or whatever - so for the whole ground to boo him off and give him the wanker chant for tearing/pulling a muscle seemed very weird. Obviously he wasn't faking it. Whatever happened to clapping off players who are obviously injured, or at least just ignore them and get on with the game.

I can't say what people saw from the TE or the Arkells. But from the DRS it was absolutely obvious his hamstring had twanged. I'm not sure how people three or four rows from me couldn't see it.

On the injury front although Clinton Morrison is a prize twat for giving it some after their goal, it was a nice touch by him and a couple of other Wendies to wish Smithy well when he was taken off.
--------------------------------

The game itself I though was absorbing. We started off well. Got or goal. Then started to sit back as Wednesday took over a bit. Smith bailed Morrison's weak challenge out. Then they scored. Then they scored again but to me Morrison made a slight play for the ball while standing in front of the keeper. In my book you don't need to touch the ball to be interfering. Thankfully this set of officials think the same, but as is the problem with todays offside law next weeks officials may let it go.

Second half Wednesday started on top as we looked to be on the back foot again. No sooner had I mentioned this we upped it again and took over, looking reasonably comfortable and getting a goal, though Wednesday's piledriver that hit the bar was a tad fortunate for us,

As for individual performances I thought JPM and Caddis were immense and MOTM contenders. Morrison struggled in the first half but got better, his positioning worries me at times. Cuthbert had  good one but looked a bit slow off the mar for their goal. Rose was OK 

Douggie had a good game but Prutts was a mixed bag. Ritchie looked lively too.

Austin scored a cracker and could have had a hatrick.

Which leads to Perricard. Very mixed for me. One the plus side he seemed to hold the ball up well on occasion. On the downside he was slow releasing it when he did.  He gives the team better shape the Dessovi. But his movement and pace is slightly behind continental drift. But most importantly for me he usually carries no goal threat whtsoever. I'm not even sure he brings Austin into the game much. But I'm not sure we have a striker who addresses all this anyway.

But he does his best so why boo him off?
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 10:41:02 »

I was wondering about this, I was surprised he even got a yellow.

The red card offense is for denying a goal scoring opportunity, which he didn't (as they scored). So for it to be a yellow surely it would need to be a foul that deserves a yellow, and it wasn't. So why a card?

I've reviewed this at The Washbag Blog - http://thewashbag.com/2010/12/04/wednesday-protest-falls-on-deaf-ears/

Smith was cautioned for unsporting behaviour because of his foul by tripping Buxton, no red card was given as there was no disadvantage to Wednesday as Morrison scored.

Can't believe the continued Wednesday reaction to this by demanding Smith should have been dismissed, I might buy Irvine a copy of the laws of the game for Xmas...

Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 10:53:03 »

I was wondering about this, I was surprised he even got a yellow.

Well the way I saw it was, there were 2 defenders on the line. Had they blocked it, the pen would've been given and Smith would've been booked for the foul - not a red because there were 2 players who hypothetically have blocked the goal by this point - as it was the ref played advantage and they scored. So booked him at the next break in play, as you would for a similar instance out field.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 11:35:38 »

Only game on in League One and to get less than two minutes of coverage on the Football League Show is laughable. BBC's research again hilarious - Marvin Cassidy? Austin out for the first five games of the season?

Pathetic.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 11:41:50 »

Who's better-Prutton or Ferry?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Sunday, December 5, 2010, 11:52:43 »

A great game of football. End to end at times and both teams really set out to win the game in the 2nd half. I thought we started really well and passed it well but were a little on the poor side after Charlie scored. We backed off them too much and let them play and that invited them on to us for their equaliser and also for the offside goal after that. Morrison looked dodgy as anything. I think it's time to get him out of the side tbh. I was certainly glad when half time came.

2nd half totally different. We looked more comfortable at the back and despite some spells of Wednesday possession and pressure we dealt with it quite well. When we had the ball we looked very good. Caddis (very good yesterday - his best game for us) got forward to support JP who also very good. Douglas being back in means we can control midfields again and we did that. We created a fair few chances to get some more goals and it was a good finish from a set play from JP for the winner. I thought we just about did enough.

We're not looking that bad at home. We really need to sort the away form out though if we want to work our way up the table.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: