Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Latest update on John Campbell!  (Read 18452 times)
borgnan
Tittle tattler

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Friday, December 24, 2010, 15:58:17 »

Hi guys, i'm not one to regularly post on here (not for years actually), however i do check this site fairly often and have been a Town fan though thick and thin. Anyway it's Xmas, i have time on my hands and i thought i would put my opinion out there.
I fully agree with the majority in that John Campbell has been treated unprofessionally, re: not being contacted. However the guy was offered a deal, admittedly not something which looked great on the surface, but with the amount of public knowledge about the whole subject do we know if there were anymore incentives added on, ie: goal bonus, game bonus, possible help with re-location, an improved contract after X amount of games?
I for one believe that we have a well run club now, which is run to a specific budget (something that hasn't been done for generations) the question is was this guy worth the punt. Yes he really wanted to come, yes he was impressed with our facilities and undoubtedly he did well for the reserves, but no matter who you are you cannot argue with the fact that this deal was a big risk! I know in an ideal world we would have just handed out a contract for £700 a week, seen how the guy got on, and if he didn't work out then we wouldn't have lost too much, if he did work out the great. Football doesn't work like that fellas, we offered £300 because that's all we felt he was worth/could afford. As a final point, what would peoples views be if the £400 per week (the difference between our offer and Orient's) was being used for example to improve Charlies contract? If that was the case i think we could all agree that would be a better use of the money?!
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, December 24, 2010, 18:17:51 »

Hi guys, i'm not one to regularly post on here (not for years actually), however i do check this site fairly often and have been a Town fan though thick and thin. Anyway it's Xmas, i have time on my hands and i thought i would put my opinion out there.
I fully agree with the majority in that John Campbell has been treated unprofessionally, re: not being contacted. However the guy was offered a deal, admittedly not something which looked great on the surface, but with the amount of public knowledge about the whole subject do we know if there were anymore incentives added on, ie: goal bonus, game bonus, possible help with re-location, an improved contract after X amount of games?
I for one believe that we have a well run club now, which is run to a specific budget (something that hasn't been done for generations) the question is was this guy worth the punt. Yes he really wanted to come, yes he was impressed with our facilities and undoubtedly he did well for the reserves, but no matter who you are you cannot argue with the fact that this deal was a big risk! I know in an ideal world we would have just handed out a contract for £700 a week, seen how the guy got on, and if he didn't work out then we wouldn't have lost too much, if he did work out the great. Football doesn't work like that fellas, we offered £300 because that's all we felt he was worth/could afford. As a final point, what would peoples views be if the £400 per week (the difference between our offer and Orient's) was being used for example to improve Charlies contract? If that was the case i think we could all agree that would be a better use of the money?!

Welcome borgnan and valid post but ....................

Who has stated that he was treated unprofessionally ? Campbell himself ?, his representative ?

Who has said that we didnt try and contact him ? Campbell himself ?, his representative ?

No

Both comments/opinions come from either message boards or the Adver comments section.

Until I here direct quotes from a direct source then I will not be criticizing either way
borgnan
Tittle tattler

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, December 24, 2010, 19:10:56 »

Agreed Fred Elliot, that information is coming from other forums/adver and i believe it's from his current manager or something. I think it's fair to say that throughout this saga all information from said source and forums have been correct though, albeit they are bound to be a little biased. John Campbell has reputedly agreed term with Orient so there isn't really anything to be gained by this guy starting rumours imo. My point was that if this information was correct and we did never get back to him, then it does show a certain amount of unprofessionalism. A simple phone call to say "thanks, but no thanks. All the best for the future" is just courteous for a guy who has made a lot of effort to try and impress. Like i said though, it was a punt at best and time will tell as to his true talents. If Austin signs a new contract i think this whole issue will be very quickly forgotten.
wacko

« Reply #48 on: Saturday, December 25, 2010, 16:28:22 »

There are many angry people on the adver forum over this news. I have to say i was dissappointed to but there must be a good reason to why we didnt sign  him  No
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 22:40:47 »

Reading the advertising comments on this subject have ruined my Christmas.
My view; we didn't sign someone who might not make an impact straight away. I'd rather we went for people who could impact the team now (when we play next)

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, December 27, 2010, 10:59:23 »

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/8758594.BREAKING_NEWS__Campbell_yet_to_sign_on_at_Orient/

JOHN Campbell could yet make a new year's move to Swindon Town.

Sources close to the player suggested last week that the Newcastle Benfield forward was due to sign on at Leyton Orient but the Advertiser understands that deal has yet to be completed, leaving the door open for Danny Wilson and the Robins.

The Advertiser believes Town have already offered Campbell a six-month contract at the County Ground, whilst Orient are understood to have tabled an 18-month proposal.

Campbell's father, Hughie, told the Advertiser: "There's still a chance. Things aren't signed and sealed, so there's a chance Swindon could come back in for him."

Playing games, sign and prove yourself or sod off to Orient.
wacko

« Reply #51 on: Monday, December 27, 2010, 11:28:30 »

kind of getting bored of the JC saga now after the adver printed the article saying that he signed for orient i had a look at the local paper for orient and the forums and there was no mention of him even being at orient or even playing in that game just some guy called mick claiming to be his friend and manager and basically shit stiring he said JC tore the Spurs defence to pieces now didnt spurs win the game 5-1 so couldnt have been tearing down the spurs defence ? I smell bull shit and mick is the muck spreader!
Spencer_White

« Reply #52 on: Monday, December 27, 2010, 15:03:40 »

Truth is he's still a nobody until a Football League side gives him a start.

His agent seems to have done a good job though, lots of Swindon fans have swallowed the bullshit and are desperate for the club to sign him despite never seeing him play.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, December 27, 2010, 15:08:55 »

His agent seems to have done a good job though, lots of Swindon fans have swallowed the bullshit and are desperate for the club to sign him despite never seeing him play.
Yep, and they will no doubt turn on him very quickly if he doesn't turn out to be the next Charlie Austin like most of them expect.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, December 27, 2010, 18:38:34 »

Don't know why people are turning on the club. His current manager said on another forum he was desperate to sign for us and was happy with a low wage and accommodation on a contract till the end of the season. Seems like we offered that and it was the player that changed his mind when he got a better offer from Orient.

As someone else pointed out, if he's been offered £700 a week at Orient on an 18 month contract the total cost to them will be in the region of say £75k. That is a lot of money to risk on someone who might not make the grade and probably 5 times what we risked on Austin. Piss away that money on 3 or 4 players a season and you might as well just save it for a proven talent.

I think everyone is just getting a bit worked up and think he'll be the next Austin, the chances of which are pretty remote.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #55 on: Monday, December 27, 2010, 18:41:10 »

That's football Jonny. If things were going well we wouldn't be moaning but things are not going well so we moan about everything.

Nothing new is it,
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, December 27, 2010, 18:42:48 »

Don't know why people are turning on the club. His current manager said on another forum he was desperate to sign for us and was happy with a low wage and accommodation on a contract till the end of the season. Seems like we offered that and it was the player that changed his mind when he got a better offer from Orient.

As someone else pointed out, if he's been offered £700 a week at Orient on an 18 month contract the total cost to them will be in the region of say £75k. That is a lot of money to risk on someone who might not make the grade and probably 5 times what we risked on Austin. Piss away that money on 3 or 4 players a season and you might as well just save it for a proven talent.

I think everyone is just getting a bit worked up and think he'll be the next Austin, the chances of which are pretty remote.

Good post Jonny.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 15:44:05 »

According to DW in his post match interview he has asked JC to come back for another game as he wants another look he said their is a lot to work that he would need to do to be ready for tyhis level and he would be one for the future but obviously he is not a priority as he needs players in that are for now rather than the future.

If JC wants to come to Swindon then he speak to DW  / AF and come to some agreement, I see nothing wrong with a 6 month contract if there are built in incentives, isn't that what we did with Charlie at the start and he surprised everyone ?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 18:30:00 »

Don't know why people are turning on the club.

Because they are fucking pricks.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, January 18, 2011, 13:31:22 »

****Bump****

Did he ever sign for Orient or is he still available ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: