Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The old laundrette/Hilton proposals  (Read 1639 times)
Spencer_White

« on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 17:48:31 »

Anyone see the handful of moaners in the Adver today?

That laundrette has been empty for about a decade. The empty buildings around the station(a lot of visitor's first impressions) have dragged down Swindon's reputation for years.

They say the Hotel doesnt have enough provision for parking, and I can sympathise with that. But their main concern is businessmen will use the Hotel for prostitutes in the area!!!??? For fucks sake, what is worse for that than empty decrepid buildings and streets in the town centre for kerb crawling? They also say, what happens if the hotel fails, but its safe to say if Hilton think there is a market for a Hotel in 2009 then things will only get better on that front?

Cant believe the Adver printed it. How can a Hilton drag that shithole down? Suprise Hilton arent worried about their reputation having a hotel on Manny road! Absolute load of bollocks. They need to start getting things sorted on the old bus station and the old police station.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 17:54:03 »

surlely a better arguament that the one above would be the actual need of another hotel in swindon?
And as for parking has anyone seen the jury inns car park?
Spencer_White

« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 17:57:23 »

They have said Swindon is one of the most popular hotel venues in the country for business's.

I agree there are a lot. But as I said, if Hilton think there is the market for one in 2009 (and they already have 1 in the area), who can deny that? Market forces.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 17:57:30 »

A lot of the hotels in the town centre use council car parks, so you'd think people would be a bit happier that money is being used locallly.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 17:59:33 »

The people of this town don't half like a moan. If this place wants to progress then residents will need to get used to the fact that plans like this need to go ahead.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:02:37 »

Most good hotels in Manchester or Birmingham will direct you to the nearest NCP car park.  Parking is a complete red herring here.

There do seem to be a lot of hotels getting the go ahead at the moment - and not much else - but if Hilton ask if they can build a hotel in a run down part of Swindon that desperately needs investment, you ask them their terms and get on with it.  It could act as an anchor for further regeneration and could completely transform that part of town in a few years.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:04:20 by Ardiles » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:12:37 »

Where abouts is this?

Things get better but they never get good
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:12:51 »

Not sure what its like now, but not long ago there was a serious shortage of hotel rooms in Swindon. Though what does that matter? If someone wants to build a hotel isn't it their call as to whether there is enough business for it?

I haven't seen the article / plans, what exactly are they planning to demolish for it?

Does the building they are planning look decent?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:17:04 »

For those who may not have seen it:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4572697._It_isn_t_the_place_for_118_bed_hotel_/
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:22:23 »

Classic Swindon mentality:
Derek Sutton, a Salisbury Street resident, said: “There are already too many hotels in the town. What we need is accommodation, not hotels."

A previous application for a block of 66 apartments at the same site was also opposed by local people.

Twats.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:24:24 »

Personally i would have kept the old Launderette for historical reasons in some way...but they cant do that with The Mechanics even so thats a no go..i live in Stratton even there they pulled down an old dairy House to build some new houses.....basicly no place isnt safe from a rebuild..i havnt been to Jurys but lets be honest The Wiltshire is a terrible eyesore and has been since opening...my feeling is that if new buildings hotels or whatever in the centre of Swindon should be built with a little style....the plans dont seem to get scrutinised...whats the point of rebuilding Swindon centre now if in 20 years time nothing has changed....and maybe the council couldve put some needed flats or houses there instead of another drab concrete block.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:30:14 »

how long before the rare green crested newt turns up again?
Arnold.J.Rimmer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:49:45 »

great crested
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 18:56:24 »

Brown crusted.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 31, 2009, 19:24:14 »

The artists impression they printed lst week would really bring the area up, let's have it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: