Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 13492 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 19:36:16 »

I was never really onboard during the Macari age. My brain is taking longer to accept it.

Last night I dreamt of football. Was it about the Stoke win, oh no, it was about Paolo selling Benson because he asked if Caddis could play again.

Stupid brian (sic). It keeps rejecting good football times...
That was only in your dream right? I've not missed anything have I?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 19:39:30 »

That was only in your dream right? I've not missed anything have I?

Nightmare, but yes so far all in my head.

Make of that what you will Wink

Would be perfectly happy with a point at Preston myself.

Me too, in fact I think most of us would, wouldn't we?
Flashheart

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 19:42:21 »

Any away point is a good point, provided you get 3 at home.
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 19:49:13 »

I'm very much in the keep your feet on the ground camp....

Last night was a great one off, sort of thing us older fans were raised on, but in the bigger picture that's all it is... a one off.    

Batch has got it about right...

Reality is, we're roughly back to where we were 3 years ago...when we mounted an ultimately fruitless campaign on Div 3 promotion....ground situation is still no more than talk.

The one advantage we may have this season compared to that, is that Div 3 does appear to be weaker, of course that may ultimately not be the case.

Think with one off's, they should just be enjoyed, because doubtless, there's some shit just round the next corner.

In terms of cementing this legacy we do need the ground improvements and I'm disappointed that the club haven't put out some more details pictures etc. to make it more real.

Having started watching in the Macari era I can see similarities and the momentum that we have and the feeling that with 10 minutes left if its level htat we are going to score rather than concede and feel that the Championship is attainable, I even think that Di Canio will remain as I think that despite all the hype I don't think that the big clubs would take a gamble on him (even West Ham) so it is a good time to get on board the STFC runaway train who knows where it will stop...

Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 21:06:37 »

Interesting comment last night that Di Canio thought it was one of the best results in the clubs history. I think that it is a little out of perspective when considering the giant killings of the 1960's and 1970's (beating West Ham in 1966/7 with 3 World Cup winners, Liverpool in the League Cup in the early 70's, Fulham 5-0 in 75 and Arsenal in the 1979/80 League Cup quarter final.

Lou Macari picked up some fantastic results in Cup games against top flight opposition in the late 80's with a fraction of the resources, Sunderland (Div 2 then) and Sheff Weds when in Div 4, Chelsea 4-0 in the Simod and Derby County in the same run

This is our best cup result for the last 20 years or so after some near misses, remember 2-0 up against Champions Blackburn in 1995 until Shearer turned it around or Leeds away and Wolves losing on Pens.

What we have often failed to do in the past is gain on the momentum of a cup result and see an upsurge in attendances and the mood around the place. I hope we get a really top draw at home or away to one of the top 4-5 Premier League.
skin_im_buzzer

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 21:19:00 »

I'm definitely in the 'let's not get too carried away' camp.

My concern is that last night only added a bigger spotlight onto the great job Paolo is doing. I wouldn't be surprised if he is linked with the next Championship job that becomes available.  Sad

I hope we build on last night's result, but it would be nice to do it 'under the radar' and go about our business quietly without drawing too much attention to how good a job PDC is doind.

I somehow think that doing anything under the radar isn't paolo's style.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 21:22:26 »

I think there's a lot of Town fans like that (and I'm including myself).
Really enjoyed last night's result, just as I've enjoyed 99% of the football we've been playing since PdC took charge.
BUT, but  (said ala Paolo) I'm experienced in the crushing disappointment that comes with following STFC. After the euphoric feeling wears off I can't help reverting to slight pessimism. It can't carry on, can it? Something's bound to go wrong, wont it? I suppose that's part and parcel of supporting a lower league side; you become so used to let downs you begin to expect them.
I'll enjoy the good times, but I can't shake off years of disappointment in just over a season, been here before....

I think that feeling comes from how fragile the club, or any football club, really is. Paolo could, and probably will be gone, certainly within a year if not sooner. Ritchie and Caddis could be gone by the end if the week. We have a squad full of good players, but we saw Danny Wilson's superb pay off team, who appeared as cohesive and harmonious as could be, disintegrate into a bunch of misfits in less than a year. I will always worry that could happen again. Above all else, our present success is founded entirely on the generosity and enjoyment of a small band of semi-local businessmen. The day that enjoyment and/or generosity dries up is the day we return to picking up the Kyle Lightbournes and Des Lintons of this world, have Cliff Puffett making appeals on the back of the Adver for people to come to games to pay the bills, and choosing the next manager on whoever is easiest and cheapest (a la King).

All in all, this is brilliant, but the key is in growing the club: average attendances and the ground. That will give us and the next generation of fans a lasting legacy (sorry to use an exclusively Olympic reference).
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 21:24:16 »

What we have often failed to do in the past is gain on the momentum of a cup result and see an upsurge in attendances and the mood around the place. I hope we get a really top draw at home or away to one of the top 4-5 Premier League.

Swansea?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 21:33:56 »

I think that feeling comes from how fragile the club, or any football club, really is. Paolo could, and probably will be gone, certainly within a year if not sooner. Ritchie and Caddis could be gone by the end if the week. We have a squad full of good players, but we saw Danny Wilson's superb pay off team, who appeared as cohesive and harmonious as could be, disintegrate into a bunch of misfits in less than a year. I will always worry that could happen again. Above all else, our present success is founded entirely on the generosity and enjoyment of a small band of semi-local businessmen. The day that enjoyment and/or generosity dries up is the day we return to picking up the Kyle Lightbournes and Des Lintons of this world, have Cliff Puffett making appeals on the back of the Adver for people to come to games to pay the bills, and choosing the next manager on whoever is easiest and cheapest (a la King).

You had a bad day?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 05:19:10 »

Fuck this 'oooh, I'm not getting carried away bollocks', I'm getting carried away and I'll live with the disappointment if and when it happens - I'm a big boy, I can handle it. What the fuck is the point being a fan otherwise? And Moonraker, it's fine to be 'realistic' if that's what you want to call it, but you might as well just top yourself.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 05:31:10 »

Fuck this 'oooh, I'm not getting carried away bollocks', I'm getting carried away and I'll live with the disappointment if and when it happens - I'm a big boy, I can handle it. What the fuck is the point being a fan otherwise? And Moonraker, it's fine to be 'realistic' if that's what you want to call it, but you might as well just top yourself.
Good for you.

It's All Good..............
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 05:39:02 »

Well said, fuck perspective!

We have gone up as champions, we have beaten higher placed oppo in all 3 cup competitions last year and had a real cup final (unlike the Pox), we have now done a premiershit team for the second time this calendar year, we have a manager whose passion everyone is both jealous and fearful of...and unique levels of excitement at the club.  

I have no control over the future so I am happy for this to take care of itself but I am surfing this monster wave and loving the moment
NZrobin

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 05:40:46 »

Gentlemen......The big difference with the situation now compared to yesteryear is...

Yes, the team are doing great things on the pitch. However the club seems to be a well run business (back of house).

The directors seem to be fully supportive for the future. There is the possibilities for the County Ground to be improved with  council approval and for once the football club could bring some pride back to Swindon.

What a great opportunity this is....lets don't think of all the things that can go wrong.

We are Swindon and (today) we are top of the world    Clap      
kerry red

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 05:43:43 »

Unless you are in NZ - in which case you are bottom of the world!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, August 30, 2012, 05:46:17 »

indeed, a very supportive board and the best prospects for CG ground development we have had for years
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: