Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 13496 times)
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:35:51 »

I was going to add or a couple of seasons...if the Board's aim of Championship football is to be achieved, then much has still to be done. 

Take Brighton as an example, about 3 and a bit years back, we beat them at the Withdean, and just about avoided our drop, and seemed to have consigned them to Div 4, yet here we are further on in time and they're now seen as viable Prem contenders.

This is the sort of serious progress, that we've got to aspire to. It could have happened in the Brighton span, essentially the same people were running the club...it didn't.  Doesn't necessarily mean that it cannot happen for us, but just provides the need for perspective.

Totally agree with you in principle, one swallow does not a summer make and all that. As a fan have to enjoy nights like yesterday, they are what makes supporting a club like Swindon so worthwhile in the end.

However there is still a long old road to go this season, and over the next 2 or 3 if we are to replicate the fortunes of clubs like Brighton.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:45:15 »

We've had a couple of great cup results.

We've played three league games. Two at home, one of which was against a side we beat twice last year, and one against ten men for half the game. In our only away league match so far we failed to score against a team no-one would consider amongst the division's front runners.

Although the signs are good, particularly defensively, I'm not getting too carried away. The situation after 10 league games should give more of an idea of our true worth.

I reserve the right to wildly upgrade this position should the current trend continue.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 13:56:58 »

On the other hand we have completely outplayed 2 decent teams from higher divisions.

Perspective is definately needed but it's been an excellent start to the season with generally consistantly strong performances.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:29:22 »

I don't think the start could have gone any better. Caddis aside.

But ask me again how good our league prospects are in January Smiley
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:34:49 »

When I was 15 or 16 under Macari /Ardiles the town had a confidence that meant I would go to games thinking we could beat anyone, i remember drubbing Chelsea 4-0 in simod cup for example.

That confidence is back for the first time since then.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:44:31 »

When I was 15 or 16 under Macari /Ardiles the town had a confidence that meant I would go to games thinking we could beat anyone, i remember drubbing Chelsea 4-0 in simod cup for example.

Sat up near the Chelsea fans for that one with my mate a Big Chelsea supporter.   Angry
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:45:37 »

I was never really onboard during the Macari age. My brain is taking longer to accept it.

Last night I dreamt of football. Was it about the Stoke win, oh no, it was about Paolo selling Benson because he asked if Caddis could play again.

Stupid brian (sic). It keeps rejecting good football times...
Flashheart

« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:50:56 »

I dreamt last night that we absolutely mullered Blackburn in the next round.

That Blackburn have been knocked out is just a minor detail.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 14:58:03 »

Anyone at home in the next round. Got to fancy our chances at the County Ground.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 15:01:03 »

The time has come for us to be drawn at home against one of the prem big boys, if not I'd take West Ham away just for Paolo.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 17:33:51 »

The manner of the victory is the most important aspect for me. A Premier League side kept pegging us back and we didn't back down. This encourages me because it's not just a 'plucky' performance. We know what Di Canio is doing at the club, the national media dip in and out and are always surprised by what the club are doing.

After all is said and done, League One is of utmost importance. If we replicate this at Preston and so on then there's major hope for the future.

Beating Oxford United would be nice though.
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 18:04:03 »

Sat up near the Chelsea fans for that one with my mate a Big Chelsea supporter.   Angry

I still have the VHS video of that game...actually paid good (pocket) money for it...The things you do when you are young...
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 18:08:40 »

I err on the side of pessimism.  I know were fucking ace but it wouldn't surprise me if we suddenly got beaten by someone shit.  Or the ground blew down.  Or one of the board got put in prison for goosing the queen.  Or the league decided they don't like our shade of red and docked us 87 points.

We are Swindon after all.  Im not used to success.

Never knowingly overstated.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 18:15:59 »

I err on the side of pessimism.  I know were fucking ace but it wouldn't surprise me if we suddenly got beaten by someone shit.  Or the ground blew down.  Or one of the board got put in prison for goosing the queen.  Or the league decided they don't like our shade of red and docked us 87 points.

We are Swindon after all.  Im not used to success.

The latter is something I really struggle with. I cannot let my guard down, I always seem to be waiting for the implosion.

Preston North End could easily bring the fanbase crashing back to earth... or Oxford or Orient or Carlisle or whoever.

Ah hell, I'll try and enjoy the moment.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 18:22:05 »

Would be perfectly happy with a point at Preston myself.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: