Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1228822 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2835 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 11:54:35 »

There’s a really difficult balance to be had here and i  just don’t think that realistic if you are looking at a year+ before a vaccine is available and that’s assuming they even find one. You can’t just expect people to put their lives on hold indefinitely in hope...
I heard last night that there has been a massive increase in domestic violence cases during the lockdown and that’s only going to get worst along with other health issues such as depression the longer that this goes on.
Ultimately we aren’t prisoners so as selfish as this sounds before long people will have the right to have a life again soon rather than just living.

Absolutely. The domestic violence issues are worrying. Of course we have to get back to something approaching normality but at the same time keeping the outbreak within ‘control’ so as not to stress the NHS. People are much more aware of washing hands and not touching faces etc and trying to keep their distance from others.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Germany and other countries that are easing lockdowns to see how the UK approaches it.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2836 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 12:27:48 »

There’s a really difficult balance to be had here and i  just don’t think that realistic if you are looking at a year+ before a vaccine is available and that’s assuming they even find one. You can’t just expect people to put their lives on hold indefinitely in hope...
I heard last night that there has been a massive increase in domestic violence cases during the lockdown and that’s only going to get worst along with other health issues such as depression the longer that this goes on.
Ultimately we aren’t prisoners so as selfish as this sounds before long people will have the right to have a life again soon rather than just living.
Think you're right, if an effective vaccine can't be found, we will have to find a way of living with it. Bear in mind that as well as accelerated efforts to find a vaccine there are also multiple projects to find a more effective treatment. As a parallel, there is still no vaccine for HIV, but there are thankfully now multiple treatments for it so that it isn't the killer it once was.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2837 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 12:31:46 »

I think effective treatment is probably more likely than a vaccine to be the thing that triggers a return to normality

Things get better but they never get good
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2838 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 14:47:37 »

Daily death rate goes up again. Over 20k people have died in 51 days.

I genuinely can't see how we are going to get out of it all. I still believe the lockdown could be more stringent?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #2839 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 14:56:31 »

Priti Patel talking about catching people speeding as the death toll tops 20k. Oh my

I come from a land down-under
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2840 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 14:59:21 »

Over 20k in hospital. The actual death rate is more than twice that

https://www.ft.com/content/67e6a4ee-3d05-43bc-ba03-e239799fa6ab
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2841 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 15:07:21 »

Quote from: Matchworn Shirts
Priti Patel talking about catching people speeding as the death toll tops 20k. Oh my

to be fair,  people are treating the streets as race tracks then they deserve it.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2842 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 15:20:02 »

Maybe there should be a list of laws that we should now be free to break?
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #2843 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 16:22:33 »

I genuinely can't see how we are going to get out of it all. I still believe the lockdown could be more stringent?

Although the number of deaths are very alarming indeed, I do not see lockdown becoming more stringent. Conversely there will likely be a gradual easing of measures, possibly starting in 2 weeks. Firstly I can see more businesses being allowed to reopen, then more general social freedoms, subject to appropriate social distancing rules. Large social gatherings will undoubtedly be at the back end of the queue and I dont envisage being back at the County Ground this calendar year, unless miraculously a vaccine is found within this timescale or mass testing, tracking and tracing is in place.

Although I believe the government was slow to move to lockdown, they will feel they have achieved their main objective of not allowing the NHS to be completely overrun and will therefore seek to restart the economy as soon as possible. The damage caused by an extended lockdown to businesses and individuals - both financial and mental health - will not be tolerated and although further deaths will occur, probably on a not insignificant basis, this will be considered as an acceptable price to pay by the government as long as the NHS remains able to cope. Their focus will therefore be on avoiding a second peak, hence some restrictions remaining in place until a vaccine is found. Pubs will therefore take a long time to reopen and the elderly will be encouraged to remain largely in self isolation if possible.

By way of comparison it is interesting to note that there are on average 165,000 deaths per year in the UK from Cancer and 110,000 from CPD. Maybe it wouldnt be a bad idea to have daily press conferences from the government on the issues of smoking, excessive drinking, diet, exercise and obesity to also reduce the burden on the NHS. Something to ponder as the public on the whole seem to have responded well to the fear of imminent death!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #2844 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 16:39:36 »

Shoplifting has gone down aswell!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2845 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 16:51:43 »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miami-no-homicide-seven-weeks/

No homicides in Miama for 7 weeks in a row, the first time since 1957!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2846 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 16:54:24 »

Still too many people out having picnics. Kids congregating in fields.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2847 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 17:00:32 »

Still too many people out having picnics. Kids congregating in fields.
You're never going to get 100% compliance. The point is that the lockdown has greatly minimised the overall number of daily contacts between strangers and so prevented the continuation of what had up until then been the extremely rapid spread of the virus.
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 17:11:05 by pauld » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2848 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 17:02:05 »

Some people are too dumb to change.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2849 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 17:04:32 »

It just isn’t going to happen, ultimately we aren’t prisoners and people will have a right to to have a life again soon. You’ve got families that haven’t seen each other for a month or more and there’s only so long that can continue.  It’s becoming obvious that this virus ain’t going anywhere so we are going to have to learn to live with it and treat it.
The slow and staged relaxation of the lockdown will begin before long, mid-May still being my prediction.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 [190] 191 192 193 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: