Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oval ODI  (Read 6448 times)
Talk Talk

« on: Saturday, September 18, 2010, 23:16:25 »

No comment on here but a cracking day out, even if we lost. Wright ran out of partners unfortunately.

It got bloody chilly in the evening.

Shit picture because of cold hand shake but you get the idea. Awesome floodlit match.

[url width=900 height=675]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp99/swindon_alan/170920100161.jpg[/url]
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 18, 2010, 23:29:34 by Talk Talk » Logged
Talk Talk

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 18, 2010, 23:26:57 »

Oh bollocks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/pakistan/9011427.stm

I thought it was a good match tbh  Roll Eyes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 08:59:15 »

I assumed it had been fixed, insofar as the Pakistan players appeared to be trying.

Someone should have a look at Lancs v Notts as well.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 09:00:57 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
santasdead

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 09:48:01 »

I assumed it had been fixed, insofar as the Pakistan players appeared to be trying.

Notts asked to get a game out of it (which meant they could either win or lose without getting bonus points because the first innings would be forfeited by one side) lancs told them they didnt want to.

Either way,setting up games for a result has been attempted by many teams in this years county championship - including the notts lancs match at trent bridge a few weeks ago.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 10:32:29 »

Agreed Reg....the last three wickets Notts took looked ever so easy to me...........but that is the problem now,going to be lots of doubts whenever something unlikely happens which is sad for cricket.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 10:34:22 »

Notts asked to get a game out of it (which meant they could either win or lose without getting bonus points because the first innings would be forfeited by one side) lancs told them they didnt want to.

Either way,setting up games for a result has been attempted by many teams in this years county championship - including the notts lancs match at trent bridge a few weeks ago.

In other words match fixing.....
cib

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 10:44:48 »

In other words match fixing.....

Boo fucking hoo, somerset played well in three comps and got beaten at the final hurdle each time. Yeah its unlucky, ifs and buts all round.

And on match-fixing - I'm sure you'd be able to delve the depths of your endless encyclopedic knowledge to come up with more "match fixing" instances that are much more skewed than that during Notts Lancs at Trent Bridge - say from the 1940's-1980s.

Maybe next year eh?!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 11:16:58 »

Boo fucking hoo, somerset played well in three comps and got beaten at the final hurdle each time. Yeah its unlucky, ifs and buts all round.

And on match-fixing - I'm sure you'd be able to delve the depths of your endless encyclopedic knowledge to come up with more "match fixing" instances that are much more skewed than that during Notts Lancs at Trent Bridge - say from the 1940's-1980s.

Maybe next year eh?!

Bad night cib?......Reg makes a good point,its a forum bud...................get over yourself.
Fact is cricket has lost a lot of credability..............the fact that lords was half empty for a major final kind of bears witness to that...along with the fact that ticket prices are shocking at Lords.
Two captains trying to come up with a result is wrong.............. not fair on other teams in the same lge ....as Reg says you can call it what you like...but its fixing a match......which to be frank just isn't cricket Cheesy Cheesy
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 12:11:27 »

It's not fixing it though is it? If anything i'd have thought this sort of behaviour should be encouraged. If done properly you see exciting games instead of turgid draws

Things get better but they never get good
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 12:30:28 »

Maybe next year eh?!

My mind goes back to an infamous Benson and Hedges qualifier at New Road in 79 between Somerset and Worcs....Brain Rose Somerset captain, knowing that as long as Somerset lost but with no harm done to run rate would qualify for the KO stages, won the toss decided to bat and declared after 1 over of the 55...the score 1-0.  Worcs duly scored the 2 needed without loss.

Not against the rules, but the spirit of the game, and Somerset were duly kicked out. Rose was unrepentant, apparently Botham came up with the idea.

cib

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 17:00:18 »

Bad night cib?......Reg makes a good point,its a forum bud...................get over yourself.
Fact is cricket has lost a lot of credability..............the fact that lords was half empty for a major final kind of bears witness to that...along with the fact that ticket prices are shocking at Lords.
Two captains trying to come up with a result is wrong.............. not fair on other teams in the same lge ....as Reg says you can call it what you like...but its fixing a match......which to be frank just isn't cricket Cheesy Cheesy

How is it match fixing? Agreeing to forfeit innings or force results has been part of county cricket for donkeys, and is different to fixing the result of a match. It's not like Lancashire went and thought fuck this and served trash and lost purposely. If Notts were to have been bowled out chasing 260 (they nearly were after winning with 7 down on a pitch showing variable bounce) I'm sure people (Somerset) wouldn't be complaining- yet congratulating Lancashire on setting a competitive total and winning. Lancashire were equals in deciding a total - they needed the points too. They also put up a fair/decent/strong fight against them this week - true to the spirit of the game.

Somerset had the opportunity to get a result against Durham especially seeing their position after their first innings, whilst Yorkshire did against Kent - yet its down to the results over the season. Notts were shit against Durham and Yorkshire towards the end of the season, equally Somerset were poor at the beginning.

If you think it's (setting up chases/"match-fixing") a problem speak to the ECB - they reduced the points for a draw, encouraging more attacking cricket and forcing results - especially in tight games.

As for the crowd at Lords yesterday - is this the latest domestic cup final in county cricket? I don't know but its late September, cold and England are still playing against Pakistan.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 17:46:19 »

As for the crowd at Lords yesterday - is this the latest domestic cup final in county cricket? I don't know but its late September, cold and England are still playing against Pakistan.

Well it was probably the latest finish, finishing around 9pm.

The old NatWest Knock out competition used to be in September.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 18:25:19 »

It's not fixing it though is it? If anything i'd have thought this sort of behaviour should be encouraged. If done properly you see exciting games instead of turgid draws

Agreed Dave about turgid draws....but it is fixing,both captains coming together and fixing a finish for a team to win when really the result should be a draw!
Like Vidic and Gerrard saying after 80 mins and the score 0-0......well chaps a point a piece is no fucking good....lets shake hands and conjure up a winning result....lets play rush goalie Cheesy Cheesy

Mickey Mouse rules only brought in when TV starting paying the bills.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 18:48:53 »

I don't see how Pakistan could fix this match if no England players were involved? I guess if we're talking about spot fixing then that would make sense e.g. fours scored at certain times etc. If this is true and spot fixing took place then surely Pakistan simply can't continue to play cricket for much longer?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 19:06:38 »

If this is true and spot fixing took place then surely Pakistan simply can't continue to play cricket for much longer?

Probably be better for them to keep going otherwise their players will just pitch up as Brits, Saffas, Banglas or Afghans and corrupt the game that way.

Imran Tahir...was supposed to be playing for South Africa v England last winter, until he mysteriously wasn't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: