Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beginning of the End for FIFA?  (Read 1983 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 07:59:31 »

Looks as if there's a monumental power grab in the pipeline.  Where National FAs have been powerless and unable to face up to FIFA, the top clubs look as if they might have a go themselves.

Top European Clubs Threaten to Break Away from FIFA and UEFA

This would sideline Blatter, but the implications for the game would be profound.  Puts the formation of the Prem/sidelining of the Football League in the 1990s in the shade, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 08:05:08 by Ardiles » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 08:12:38 »

Can't FIFA kill this by banning players from playing in the World Cup?

I can't see Platini steering UEFA into a war with FIFA either.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 08:18:54 »

I think that's the point...this is a power grab.  The standing of the World Cup and everything else to do with FIFA (or UEFA) would fall.  Maybe it wouldn't happen right away, but it could be the start of a decline in the World Cup's influence/supremacy in world football.  All it would take would be for a few top players to announce that they were no longer interested in participating in FIFA's jamboree...and others could follow.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 09:12:36 »

Can't FIFA kill this by banning players from playing in the World Cup?

I can't see Platini steering UEFA into a war with FIFA either.

Think you missed the point. They're talking about the top clubs leading a break away from UEFA and FIFA, in effect forming their own governing body. You need to think through the consequences of the top European clubs doing this, it will start a cascade which would pretty much mean the end of UEFA and FIFA.

At the end of it things wouldn't look that much different from today except the clubs would have more say in how the game is run. You'd probably still even have the same national associations, I could see UEFA surviving as well as it's FIFA they've got a problem with.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 09:31:16 »

Think you missed the point. They're talking about the top clubs leading a break away from UEFA and FIFA, in effect forming their own governing body. You need to think through the consequences of the top European clubs doing this, it will start a cascade which would pretty much mean the end of UEFA and FIFA.

At the end of it things wouldn't look that much different from today except the clubs would have more say in how the game is run. You'd probably still even have the same national associations, I could see UEFA surviving as well as it's FIFA they've got a problem with.

Think you missed the point....the aim here is to end international football and governance by bodies such as the FA, and replace it with expanded European club football.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 11:35:41 »

Think you missed the point....the aim here is to end international football and governance by bodies such as the FA, and replace it with expanded European club football.

Indeed, I'm under no illusions that what I watch is professional sport, and that it exists to sell products and make money. But at its heart there still exists a game, and anyone who would contemplate destroying the World Cup for their own financial ends has no love of that game and should fuck off out of it. Unfortunately, it is probably already too late.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 12:19:29 »

No it isn't. Read the article again and the background to it.

Clubs aren't happy with; an extended international calendar, not receiving any of the money from internationals and having no insurance cover for players on international duty other than what they pay for. They're not looking to end international football, merely swing things in their favour.

To be fair they have a point. International football generates massive revenue, why can't UEFA / FIFA and the national associations pay for insurance? Some do but most (especially the poorer associations) don't. The scheduling of international football has become a joke, especially the African Nations Cup.

It wouldn't be the end of the World Cup either. It would just be someone else organising it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: