Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 ... 210   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 372807 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2520 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 10:38:30 »

I don't get our fans obsession with trying players in unfamiliar positions, how about we sign some players in the first place that are meant for those positions?

Constantly see, let's try Austin at CB, Brewitt or Clayton at DM - this is on top off our current management playing a RB and LB at CB, numerous CM's at DM and even a Wakeling at LB at one point - and who knows where Shade plays..

If these are requirements then it just sums up what a fuck up of a recruitment strategy we have, and the way you fix it is recruit appropriate players for those positions, the conversation shouldn't really go further than that.

Clayton and Brewitt have previous at DCM though. Clayton a lot of it.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2521 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 11:22:00 »

Clayton and Brewitt have previous at DCM though. Clayton a lot of it.

Playing there in the Prem U23 acadamy game is a bit different to the hussle and bussle of mens EFL games though, if some people question their ability to play at CB in this league, why do we think they will blossom in a DM role.  Apart from in Emergency situations as a one off, we shouldn't even be contemplating it, we should be recruiting a whole squad rather than half of one, that is the answer to the question.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2522 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 11:58:11 »

I agree we should recruit players who already play in the positions we need but it’s also not impossible for players to adapt and play in other positions. It’s a rarity but happens.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2523 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 12:34:05 »

I know it happens and is possible, but my original point was why do we accept that and constantly look for square peg round hole solutions..  Just do the minimum expectation of fans which is to have adequate resources to fit the formation that you plan to play, rather than shoehorning players into a different position because you haven't done your job.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #2524 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 12:47:13 »

I guess the problem is when you only have 12 fit adults (and two of those are goalies) you try & fit players into anything resembling a team.

Having a James Milner type player that can play in several positions used to be a real bonus, less so now that you have so many substitutes available (assuming you have enough fit players)

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2525 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 13:19:13 »

I know it happens and is possible, but my original point was why do we accept that and constantly look for square peg round hole solutions..  Just do the minimum expectation of fans which is to have adequate resources to fit the formation that you plan to play, rather than shoehorning players into a different position because you haven't done your job.

I assume it’s more of a case that we have 11 holes and only 13 pegs. If none of them fit one of the holes we have to try and fit one in - because that’s a much more realistic option than buying more adequately shaped pegs for the aforementioned unfilled holes…
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #2526 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 13:36:07 »

it happens everywhere. dalot isnt a left back and shaw isnt a cb. they can do the job though and with 9 injuries united have to make do.

we have 9 injuries also. id be happy to see hutton right wing. it gets to the point soon where we might as well try something different and see if it works.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2527 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 13:52:47 »

Charlie as manager would be different!
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #2528 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 14:01:06 »

Cost saving!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2529 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 14:05:10 »

I can’t say I’d ever fancy him as manager or ever see him becoming a manager to be honest as he seems a bit of a dick to be honest. Let’s not forget he forced his way out of the club first time round and partly as a result I’ve struggled to warm to him since he rejoined.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2530 on: Tuesday, December 19, 2023, 14:23:47 »

Isn’t he doing his badges? Presume that’s what he wants to do after he stops playing.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2531 on: Thursday, December 21, 2023, 16:56:32 »

Khan in the Gambian preliminary Afcon squad. Final squad early Jan.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #2532 on: Thursday, December 21, 2023, 17:53:36 »

I see Flynn is going with the quality over quantity line again. We all know how well that ended up in the summer

Lets face it, who in their right mind would want to sign here in the first place with the club in its current state? Players talk to each other and word gets around
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2533 on: Thursday, December 21, 2023, 18:17:37 »

Either would be a start.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2534 on: Thursday, December 21, 2023, 18:22:54 »

Either would be a start.

Quite. Literally any senior pro in the EFL would improve our squad right now.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 ... 210   Go Up
Print
Jump to: