Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 210   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 372858 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 13:53:30 »

1 tough tackling DMC who can break up play and sits back with FBT and Dokes go off awandering with the ball who can protect the defence.

Yeah,DMC would be a good signing. He has County Ground experience!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1771 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 14:04:11 »

Yeah its pretty incredible we haven't tried Clayton or Brewitt at DCM yet. It could be an answer right under our noses. Should have been tried end of last season.

Is it though? At somepoint you have to respect the opinions of multiple coaches and/or managers that neither are strong enough to play in that position.

Not judging you personally, just saying that because a CB can pass the ball doesn't mean they are a midfielder in waiting, and becaue a full back can cross the ball it doesn't make them a winger.
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #1772 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 14:05:37 »

I'm struggling with the Kinsella signing at the moment as he's gone from being player of the season at Wallsall to no more than a bit part player here. Granted that could change but on his early showing dosen't seem an upgrade on what we've had over the last season.
Kinsella isn't match fit yet.  i saw glimpses of what he's about last night and reckon he'll come good once he has more game time
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #1773 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 14:07:30 »

Kinsella isn't match fit yet.  i saw glimpses of what he's about last night and reckon he'll come good once he has more game time

Fair point. Many of us are aware of how good he's been at Walsall over recent seasons so hoping that he shows that potential here.

So, give no fucks
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1774 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 14:11:39 »

I continue to think, much as I have sinece last season, that we lack three key ingredients:

An organiser at the back - someone who can sit in the middle of the three, but be just as capable in a four who has games under their belt.  Ideally some height on them and a player who has maybe got promotion from this division before but, to keep it realistic, isn't really up to League One.  The sort of player you upgrade when you get there, but is vital to make that happen.

A physical presence in midfield, an athlete type.  Doesn't have to be as experienced as the CB, but certainly not someone who is raw.  A player who knows when to just sit in or when feathers need ruffling and even our own players need a bit of a kick.

A different type of forward - probably a Simpson type.

Nobody should be leaving, we cannot cover as it is and we will see suspensions this season from yellow cards.   Longer term maybe a loan for Minturn and Shade could do with replacing with someone else who can play football.

Given what we were told on budget, experience and how many left, my expectation was we'd have the room to do the above without the need to see others depart.

What we have is enough to fight to be around the Play Offs from the little I have seen.  That final flourish gets us into the discussion for top three with a fair wind.

I think we all, and Flynn included would agree with this, but honestly i don't expect it to happen. I believe he lost out on people to fill almost all the slots you have identified and we have made alternate arrangements.

In a cash strapped squad for example you have to accept that we have 6 CB's on the book now (UGM, FBT, Clayton, Brewitt, Ward and Minturn) i don't see how we can afford a 7th. Though i think it right to question if Ward is up to the task after just a couple of games. I would have preferred experience there.

A physical midfield player would have been nice, but again i don't see the gap now. I would suggest we are a body light here, but its the attacking side we are missing. There is nobody to compete with Kemp, if you accept Cain/Kinsella as decent back up for Khan/McEachran. Again the real question here is was Kinsella the right signing? He has experience and fights for the ball, so kind of, but not of the physicality many wanted.

We have 4 bodies for the striking positions. It sounds like Flynn has changed his tune on needing another body here, but wait and see. Young looks like he has something certainly.

I think the ultimate truth is at this level, that given we want to 'play football' and pass/press the ball quickly, if you have a player with that technique and ability, and they are over 6 foot and physical, then they are playing in a higher league! Your choice sadly is physical and shit, or technically good and weak.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1775 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 14:32:46 »

Cain isn't a DCM and I struggle to see why we're not playing him further forward. He needs to be more of Kemps back up than Khan/Kinsella/McEachran unless Morris and Flynn are seeing something I'm not.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1776 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 14:39:06 »

Quote from: adje
Yeah,DMC would be a good signing. He has County Ground experience!

pretty good signing cone April/May when Hutton needs a beach ⛱️
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1777 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 15:33:12 »

Is it though? At somepoint you have to respect the opinions of multiple coaches and/or managers that neither are strong enough to play in that position.

Not judging you personally, just saying that because a CB can pass the ball doesn't mean they are a midfielder in waiting, and becaue a full back can cross the ball it doesn't make them a winger.

I mean those multiple coaches are mostly Scott Lindsey & Jody Morris so *shrugs*
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1778 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 15:37:05 »

I don't think we've ever had the bodies to try Brewitt there. I'd definitely like to see it. Think he could thrive there and be less exposed as the constant 'last man'.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1779 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 15:40:31 »

As with most things. Absolutely no harm in trying. There are plenty of examples of players being moved positions and being better for it but also being worse.

Something to do in training, pre-season & FLT games. Just a pity the latter two didn’t really see Clayton & Brewitt fit at the same time.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1780 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 15:53:01 »

Bringing in a lump at CB and a nasty bastard in midfield would detract from our attacking riches at the moment. Always a balance to be had, but I’d hate to see Flynn-ball diluted.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1781 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 15:55:12 »

Bringing in a lump at CB and a nasty bastard in midfield would detract from our attacking riches at the moment. Always a balance to be had, but I’d hate to see Flynn-ball diluted.

Yeah, we definitely aren't just after some immobile giraffe at the back. A Brandon Cooper or something is what we need.

I still think FBT at LWB is the answer, so a replacement for him at LCB could be good.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1782 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 16:05:55 »

I don’t think it would. Maybe in midfield but I think a lump CB would be fine in the middle of the 3. Our build up relies on UGM and FBT joining the attack as marauding and sometimes overlapping CB’s but the issues atm seem to be from them both going at once rather than situationally which leaves us exposed when we lose possession.

Chris Wilders Sheffield United side did the overlapping CB’s thing very well with the outside CB’s of a back 3 but they didn’t both go at once. They went one at a time depending on what side of the pitch the play was on and either a midfielder dropped back into the defence or the opposing side wingback tucked back in a bit.

The middle CB we have at the moment is Brewitt who has done fine so far but his job is very different to the outside CB’s, he still needs to be competent on the ball on occasion but he’s not marauding up the pitch like UGM and FBT. A proper organiser would be good in that role who can maintain the defensive shape when one of FBT or UGM has pushed on by either reigning the other one back or bringing a midfielder deeper.

Anyway, there’s my completely unqualified take on it
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1783 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 16:06:20 »

A lump as CB in between Dokes & FBT would be massively exposed.

So, you’d have to move FBT to LWB and go Dokes, Lump, Brewitt as the back three but then you’d lose the ability for our LCB to bring the ball forward with the LWB as an immediate overlap.

As I keep saying. The way we play it isn’t a CB we need. It’s a DM to drop into CB when Dokes & FBT go forward.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1784 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 16:09:05 »

Clayton would be the LCB when fit.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 210   Go Up
Print
Jump to: