Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Woking FC Official Match day thread.  (Read 41755 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 18:27:48 »

Always gut-wrenching to lose to non-league.  Our record over the last 10 years or so is shocking.

It took us 70 years from 1906 to 1976 to lose 4 games to non league clubs... the last 4 have come in 6 years.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 18:32:20 »

It took us 70 years from 1906 to 1976 to lose 4 games to non league clubs... the last 4 have come in 6 years.

That must be the improvement and progress Mr Power was eluding to

I come from a land down-under
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 18:45:58 »

Well that was shit.

Just when we start seeing light at the end of the tunnel..

We tried to play more football than working for sure but when you are up against a drilled physical side with a ref who has left his cards in the dressing room, you have to step up and match them at least physically....we didn't do that and that disappointed me the most today.

I would of nailed at least one of those centre backs and got in their faces.

Out muscled.

Another shit sandwich for the Town fans to savour.

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 19:07:00 »

That must be the improvement and progress Mr Power was eluding to

TBF to Power the decline had set in before his time... it's just accelerated on his watch.  So it took us 92 years to lose 6 games to non leaguers.  The next 6 has taken 20 years.

REDBUCK

« Reply #94 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 19:15:38 »

Still games not changed much in 20 years.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 19:32:32 »

Still games not changed much in 20 years.

Relatively speaking it hasn't... the Conference got an extra promotion slot, from the previous 1. You could argue that referees dishing cards for offences which they wouldn't previously , would be a change, but in terms of us v non leaguers, it ought to mean you can't be kicked off the park by the part timers.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 19:55:13 »

I really try not to look at posts or post myself in the aftermath of defeats but iv recovered a bit.

It was frustrating today and typical of so many home performances.

The lack of striker options is killing us at the moment. we tried so many routes to goal today. long ball, crosses, triangles etc but nothing worked.

We should have won based on chances. it's far easier to be the team that sits back and frustrates than to be the one than dictates play and try and get through. goals change this and the longer it went the more the players look lost.

fair play to Woking. they sat in and worked hard. it's the cup. these things happen every year and what makes it great for lots of teams. just wish it would happen a bit less often to us.

January can't come any quicker. (or the return of woolery, Richards up top as different options)

I was astounded by the attendance today. this could have been a route to a massive 3rd round game- bet we would have found some fans then. and any without tickets would be coming out with the i used to be a season ticket holder for 30 years.

one positive. James Dunn has been fantastic this season and again today. needed another 10 of him though
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 19:59:38 »

Today showed just how bad Browns recruitment was in the summer, we have a side with no natural width and no forwards. Can see a big transfer window ahead, with at least 4 or 5 shipping out elsewhere and hopefully the same again coming in.
Get it right and we should be in or around the play offs come May.
REDBUCK

« Reply #98 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 20:01:38 »

I haven't read that we got kicked of the park. However the standard gap between Div 4 and NL has narrowed, teams are more organised and I'd say more experienced than our youthful lineup.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 20:04:50 by REDBUCK » Logged
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 20:15:14 »

I haven't read that we got kicked of the park. However the standard gap between Div 4 and NL has narrowed, teams are more organised and I'd say more experienced than our youthful lineup.

because we weren't. we had the vast majority of the ball bar 15 mins of 2nd half when they scored. the rest of the time we were trying to find a way through.

we could and should have scored. but after a defeat could and should are always brought up
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 20:37:47 »

That's my point, in theory back in the day, a Wimbledon as non league could take FA Cup wins by playing anti football, get themselves into the FL and eventually win the FA Cup. Now much less of an option, therefore what should be our better players, ought to have the advantage.

You're right though there isn't much difference between non league and Div 4, which is why we shouldn't think there's any reason why we can't end up there. Certainly the set up and quality of players we have isn't much better, than Conference S.

Woking played Chippenham at Hardenhuish about a month ago and drew 2-2..... it would be interesting if the old Wilts Shield was played for still... on that evidence, it wouldn't be a given that we'd see off Chippy atm.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 20:48:33 »

Today showed just how bad Browns recruitment was in the summer, we have a side with no natural width and no forwards. Can see a big transfer window ahead, with at least 4 or 5 shipping out elsewhere and hopefully the same again coming in.
Get it right and we should be in or around the play offs come May.

You're right that it will have to be one in and one out, but it isn't always easy to move on under performers. Somebody has to want them.

As I pointed out the other day, all of Power's window dealings have led to a reduced trawl of points post Jan, relative to previous, except a slight increase in points per game when Luke took over, who said he didn't want new bodies in the window preferring to work with tight squad.

I suppose it's possible that the reduced budget Power provided Brown with, contained the possibility of augmentation in January, depending on where we are.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 20:54:20 »

Fair play to Woking. Most of their players will have to get up for work in the morning.
Ours will bimble onto the training ground . . . where ever the freck that is.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 20:59:26 »

Certainly the set up and quality of players we have isn't much better, than Conference S.

I refer to my previous post about trying not to read posts after a defeat.

Muppets like you. be back on next Saturday where we all go again.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 21:13:04 »

I refer to my previous post about trying not to read posts after a defeat.

Muppets like you. be back on next Saturday where we all go again.

So let me see if I've got this right.... the debate seemed to be that in the last recent years the evidence suggests that the gap between Div 4 and non league, has closed.  This would account for it taking 92 years for us to lose 6 games to non leaguers, then only 20 years to lose the next 6 with a recent acceleration of 4 in 6 years.

The logic of this suggests to me that if this is true it tells us that it is caused by a a closing of the gap between quality of player and structures at the clubs in question.... therefore as stated the quality of set up and player currently at STFC isn't much better than Conference S. Much, being the operative word. We're certainly closer to that level than we are to say a Championship set up.

If you disagree why not try arguing the case rather than resort to petty abuse.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 2, 2018, 21:21:45 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: