Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2021743 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3960 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 08:47:27 »

No trolling this time but its driving me mad.

The UK voted, and the 17M were the majority, true, they won the vote. But the UK Government has a duty of care to the 59 million who voted remain/couldn't or didn't vote.

May had gone for the best possible/least damaging deal while trying to stick to delivering the vote verdict.

After the refferendum voteshe was installed as PM by her own party. That's the way it works. If Gove, JRM or Boris wanted something different then they should have put their name in an headed it up. They chose not to.

So tough shit on them really.
-----------------------
I also think its madness to stick with a bad decision just because 2 years ago people thought we'd get something else by leaving.

Somehow asking the people to vote on the terms is 'undemocratic'. Bullshit. What that really means is that it may provide a different result to the one you or I want.  

If "the will of the people" is to leave with no deal, an explicit option, so be it. Ask them.

Political suicide of course thrusting us in to perpetual calls for more referendums. I get that. Can't be done.

So as I say, hard line Brexiteers. Tough shit. You had plenty chance to steer this. You decided to snipe from the sidelines and do bugger all to take control. Live with it.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3961 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:31:41 »

Could 'ol Theresa be playing a canny game.

She appears to be trying to push through a dreadful deal for the UK and, surely, she must know it wont be accepted.

Leadership election and, say, Boris or The Young Fogy become leader. Now the EU have to deal with someone who is likely to drive a hard bargain - if anything at all.

Here comes some EU concessions!
Sir red ken

« Reply #3962 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:40:41 »

No trolling this time but its driving me mad.

The UK voted, and the 17M were the majority, true, they won the vote. But the UK Government has a duty of care to the 59 million who voted remain/couldn't or didn't vote.

May had gone for the best possible/least damaging deal while trying to stick to delivering the vote verdict.

After the refferendum voteshe was installed as PM by her own party. That's the way it works. If Gove, JRM or Boris wanted something different then they should have put their name in an headed it up. They chose not to.

So tough shit on them really.

They've be stopped from getting the desired result by people who don't like democracy. Those paid by the eu and a rich elite many of whom don't want to live in the eu themselves. Remainers just fucked it up so they can say it can't be done.And now weazely little traitors turn around and say were not going to let you leave so tough shite.
See how easily democracy dies.
-----------------------
I also think its madness to stick with a bad decision just because 2 years ago people thought we'd get something else by leaving.

Somehow asking the people to vote on the terms is 'undemocratic'. Bullshit. What that really means is that it may provide a different result to the one you or I want.  

If "the will of the people" is to leave with no deal, an explicit option, so be it. Ask them.

Political suicide of course thrusting us in to perpetual calls for more referendums. I get that. Can't be done.

So as I say, hard line Brexiteers. Tough shit. You had plenty chance to steer this. You decided to snipe from the sidelines and do bugger all to take control. Live with it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3963 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:44:08 »

Sky sources: All government whips have been told to cancel any engagements today and return to London as a source close to the whip's office says a no confidence vote in the Prime Minister is now "likely"
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #3964 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:49:47 »

Could 'ol Theresa be playing a canny game.

She appears to be trying to push through a dreadful deal for the UK and, surely, she must know it wont be accepted.

Leadership election and, say, Boris or The Young Fogy become leader. Now the EU have to deal with someone who is likely to drive a hard bargain - if anything at all.

Here comes some EU concessions!
See what you're saying but I see it differently. I really do think May believes what she says. If she gets through the next few days she'll pitch it as this deal or no deal and with those two choices she'll try and get the bill though.
I can't see the EU making any concessions, particularly at this late date. I don't see why they should. Our PM has agreed it on the basis she think she can sell it. Now she's got to sell it.
The issue is whether she will be PM. I think she could well remain in power. The issue would appear to be whether a leadership challenge would work. If not, then I believe May stays for at least a year.  I think there's enough numbers to push for the challenge but people are holding back while corridor conversations are being held to make sure they know they can win. Also, you've got good old Jezza in the background.
I think the bill is a pile of steaming shit and would rather Remain than have it enacted.
Sir red ken

« Reply #3965 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:53:17 »

Sky sources: All government whips have been told to cancel any engagements today and return to London as a source close to the whip's office says a no confidence vote in the Prime Minister is now "likely"
excellent news,by the time the traitor may is desposed and a new person elected as leader it will be December and parliment will close.Then the clock will run down and the UK will leave the eu. Those who don't want to be British can up sticks and live in the eussr.
Sir red ken

« Reply #3966 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 09:56:26 »

I think the bill is a pile of steaming shit and would rather Remain than have it enacted.

It is remain by another name. She didn't want us to leave and has worked against the result.
Next thing will be a vote do want this pile of shite or remain as we were,so easy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3967 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:17:44 »

I see that Tomlinson and Buckland lined up behind May.... well that was yesterday, might change today.

It's difficult to tell with these two as Tomlinson was a Brexiteer, and Buckland a Remainer.... both seem to have changed their minds at times, which I'm sure was nothing to do with their jobs in Government, but a concern for their constituents.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3968 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:20:29 »

Gove seems to be staying.

Well done for sticking true to your principles Michael, i.e  self preservation
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3969 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:23:45 »

I think leaving is completely absurd, but if we don't just rip the plaster off, you will still have all the grumblings we have had that pushed us down this path in the first place.

Whilst I sort of agree in principle, I think this still falls into the threatening trap perpetuated by Farage etc that there is going to be civil war if the 'will of the people' is not enacted, but rather ignores the fact that there is an equal potential for strife if the 16m who voted remain (plus the 13m who didn't vote at all) see their standard of living, health etc affected by this shambolic bollocks, pro remain marches have been getting 700k+ attendance whilst the pro leave events being held are averaging about 1500 (from the pictures of the one in Bolton in the majority men in their 60's+).

As a case in point I was speaking to a mate the other week whose daughter has a chronic illness which needs daily medication (with a shit shelf life), he is a generally mild mannered bloke who is very nervous about the potential that she will struggle with regular supplies of medicine after we leave* he is fuming about things and is entirely committed to taking whatever action is necessary to protect his family if necessary - it genuinely shocked me how robust he is feeling!

*This will no doubt be dismissed as project fear, but this week I collected my monthly prescription and the pharmacist who I know well as she had been supply me for years noted that I might want to order more frequently between now and March 'just in case', now I am lucky as my meds have a decent shelf life, others don't have that option.  
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3970 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:28:51 »

The UK was always a semi detached EU member.... we'll now become semi, semi detached.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3971 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:30:15 »

Its like having diabetes and the doctor saying that if it deteriorates over the next few years you will have to have your leg amputated and the patient saying OK fine. Then two years down the line the doc saying it would need to come off now but we now have this new medication which will prevent the amputation, but you agreed then to it so I will just fetch my jigsaw!

As for democracy it was apparently fine for May to call a new election to strengthen her position to deliver hard brexit, rather going against the fixed term Act for political gain, yet apparently not OK for this even though the period between the two is actually longer now than that between the 2015 and 2017 elections.  
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3972 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:31:35 »

The UK was always a semi detached EU member.... we'll now become semi, semi detached.

So flacid then?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3973 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:44:13 »

Gove seems to be staying.

Well done for sticking true to your principles Michael, i.e  self preservation

To be fair he would have had to wait for Murdoch and Vine to tell him what to do....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3974 on: Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:48:54 »

So flacid then?

It's what gets the Brexiteers mad.... the realisation that the country has now been shown for what it is, it's like Suez all over again.  The consequences of that and the subsequent break up of Empire.... meant in order to retain some global influence we had to pool some sovereignty with fellow Europeans. We will now still pool some sovereignty, but no longer have any influence on decision making.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 264 [265] 266 267 268 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: