Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Places to visit/stay on the south coast  (Read 10659 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 00:10:23 »

I would like to call on the TEF for suggestions please.

I want to book a couple of nights somewhere on the south coast between Dartmouth and Southampton.

It needs to have at least the following....

* Attractive beach walks
* Good pubs (within walking distance)
* Historic places to visit
* Good B&B

Ta. X

justboiledover

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 00:50:14 »

At this time of year I reckon your best bet would be to start looking just west of pool harbour around the Isle of purbeck in dorset and head west from there (I know pool isn't in dorset but this is where the jurasic coast starts). The coast around swanage is lovely with features like man-o-war and durdle door. Near by you have corfe castle which is partially destroyed but enough remains to visualise the scale of what existed (and its best accessed by proper choo choo from farm where i camped late august but have forgotten name of!) You will not find too many long beach walks on any stretch of the coast that you have mentioned but you will find the coast walks absolutely stunning: The coast path goes across cliff tops with the occasional path/climb down to lovely beaches and coves.

I could carry on going west from the above but I have just remembered I have work tomorow and am jeloouse of you getting down there - you cunt!

shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 00:57:02 »

I live within shouting distance to the south coast, Bournemouth to be exact. I can highly commend the Isle of Purbeck. The village of Studland is worthy of mention, bit chilly at this time of year but Natural Trust run beach, completely unspoilt (where Coldplay shot their "Yellow" track"). Swanage just around the corner which is just delightful, and a short chain ferry journey over to Poole or Bournemouth. There is a great pub with a micro brewery in Studland called the Bankes Arms, and if you want to explore the nearby Jurrasic Coast (one of the few UN world heritage sites in the country) there's Durlston Park with it's huge stone globe and lovely cliff-side walks, and if you are the energetic type you can go beyond to Dancing Ledge and St Aldhelm's Head.

Here's a couple of links. The Square and Comnpass in Worth Matrevers often gets named ion the top 10 pubs in the country:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Purbeck

http://www.squareandcompasspub.co.uk/

http://www.bankesarms.com/

The video by Coldplay:

shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 00:58:21 »

At this time of year I reckon your best bet would be to start looking just west of pool harbour around the Isle of purbeck in dorset and head west from there (I know pool isn't in dorset but this is where the jurasic coast starts). The coast around swanage is lovely with features like man-o-war and durdle door. Near by you have corfe castle which is partially destroyed but enough remains to visualise the scale of what existed (and its best accessed by proper choo choo from farm where i camped late august but have forgotten name of!) You will not find too many long beach walks on any stretch of the coast that you have mentioned but you will find the coast walks absolutely stunning: The coast path goes across cliff tops with the occasional path/climb down to lovely beaches and coves.

I could carry on going west from the above but I have just remembered I have work tomorow and am jeloouse of you getting down there - you cunt!

You got in there first mate
Lumps

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 01:03:45 »

Easy - Lyme Regis

Good coastal paths in both directions. If you want to walk any distance on a beach mind you'll probably have to head up to Chesil Beach, but that's no hardship.

shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 01:05:43 »

Don't do Weymouth unless you want an almighty piss up
justboiledover

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 01:20:32 »

I'll add avoiding portland to that: Looks great from the coast but can't get neer sea while you're there and have to pay english heritage a fortune to get near anything interesting - just remembered(ish) swanage, brilliant for pubs (I Think!).
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 01:31:10 »

I do a lot of walking around here, and Mudeford Quay is special, best way is to park up near Hengistbury Head and walk up to the iron age hill fort with magnificent views (360 degree) over the Solent across to The Needles (Isle of Wight), Christchurch Harbour, Poole Bay - just breathtaking! You can often (though i'm not sure at this time of year) get a boat for a couple of quid over from there to Mudeford Quay after passing all the exclusive beach huts on the spit. I'll try and find a link
shady

Free the Etuhu one!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 01:37:03 »

stfcinbmth

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 07:43:53 »

At this time of year I reckon your best bet would be to start looking just west of pool harbour around the Isle of purbeck in dorset and head west from there (I know pool isn't in dorset but this is where the jurasic coast starts).

Poole is most certainly in Dorset
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 07:51:47 »

As said around Poole/Swanage is great, didn't see Brownsea island mentioned there which is good for walks after a short ferry ride. Not so much history  directly around Brighton but always a good stay none the less. And as Corfe castle was mentioned you also have Carisbrooke on the IOW, and Pevensey near Eastbourne both good examples and both more complete than Corfe, Eastbourne is also handy for Beachy head for a decent experience of vertigo.
land_of_bo

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 08:51:30 »

I often go to Swanage, do it.

Good B&B's (Town Hall Lodge is nice) - great beach, you can walk to Studland over Old Harry Rocks, do the ferry to Brownsea Island etc and also walk the other way to Durlsdon (sp) Castle.

The Red Lion is a pretty decent boozer with loads of ciders to try, there's always live music in at least one pub and there's also some decent eaterys. Do it
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 09:10:01 »

Like Lumps says, Lyme Regis is very nice. In fact, anywhere between Charmouth and Seaton and you can't go wrong. Branscombe and Beer are my favourites.

Cats are better than dogs FACT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 09:13:52 »

between dartmouth and southampton is a huge area to choose from.
you can't really go wrong in devon and dorset.
just pick a place that takes your fancy and go from there.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 09:27:23 »

You could always try Chichester - its another 25 miles east of Scummer land but good shore walks, plenty of history and close to The Southdowns, Goodwood, Arundel and Worthing.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: