Pages: 1 ... 1239 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 1245 ... 1935   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4633854 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18615 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 16:36:29 »

It's bizarre that people seem more concerned about someone democratically elected in a foreign country, than politicians doing worse in their own country, over which their vote gives them some say.

I must have missed the bit where Theresa May started violating various UN human rights rules whilst touching up various men?  Hmmm

They are also having a march in Whitney (the papers spelling not mine) that will piss off the vast majority of my social media contacts who still live there and seem broadly supportive of Trump?

I think the problem in this Country is many don't think they can actually do anything at the moment?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18616 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 16:44:36 »

I must have missed the bit where Theresa May started violating various UN human rights rules whilst touching up various men?  Hmmm

They are also having a march in Whitney (the papers spelling not mine) that will piss off the vast majority of my social media contacts who still live there and seem broadly supportive of Trump?

I think the problem in this Country is many don't think they can actually do anything at the moment?

May has already got some dodgy stuff in her locker....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/saudi-arabia-arms-sales-us-uk-theresa-may-angus-robertson-snp-a7474206.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/theresa-may-signs-100m-fighter-jet-deal-with-turkeys-erdogan

Obama oversaw the US drop 26,171 bombs on various countries in 2016. Don't recall much in the way of protest over that.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18617 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 16:57:39 »

May has already got some dodgy stuff in her locker....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/saudi-arabia-arms-sales-us-uk-theresa-may-angus-robertson-snp-a7474206.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/28/theresa-may-signs-100m-fighter-jet-deal-with-turkeys-erdogan

Obama oversaw the US drop 26,171 bombs on various countries in 2016. Don't recall much in the way of protest over that.

There has been plenty of discord/marches/petitions etc over the years about our somewhat murky relationship to the Saudi's, the deal with Erdogan last week just smelt like desperation finding something to sign to try and show that we still traded as a world leader. Trump has actually done May a favour as the palaver over his potential visit has helped to brush that deal under the carpet, I suspect once the fuss about Trumps possible visit dies down the Turkish deal and Erdogans activities may head up the agenda again.

Frankly anything that stirs the people up a bit from their present stupor has to be a good thing!
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #18618 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 17:15:14 »

What's so funny about it?
Just find peoples priorities fucking hilarious these days.What Trump is doing is wrong of course it is but what is happening to our own people lately is equally as bad. Where are the protests over our local homeless cuts and disability care. I could go on but it's got to the amusing stage now.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #18619 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 18:18:55 »

I mean, if you take the view that these protests are intended to show our rulers that we won't stand for the same type of hard-right (to put it lightly) nonsense that trump advocates, and as a public we aren't willing to be his lapdog, then I don't think it's entirely pointless exercise. I agree with you to an extent on misplaced priorities, but this has dominated the uk media - the shit happening here gets less coverage (because most of the uk media aren't too displeased with what's going on)

On a tangent, and If he isn't dead already, it would be interesting to see dossys views of recent events

Things get better but they never get good
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #18620 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 18:21:38 »

Just find peoples priorities fucking hilarious these days.What Trump is doing is wrong of course it is but what is happening to our own people lately is equally as bad. Where are the protests over our local homeless cuts and disability care. I could go on but it's got to the amusing stage now.
Yeah but protesting about homelessness and disability cuts aren't as glamourous or 'right on' as protesting about Trump.
I'm with you Dean. There are families who are having to choose between heating their homes or feeding their families, we've got one of the highest child poverty rates in Europe, the NHS is being slowly privatised, big business is getting away with paying fuck all towards our society, the rich pay less tax, the poor get shit on more... But hey, Let's all protest about some perma tanned cunt in 'merica, before we bother about any of that...

It's All Good..............
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #18621 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 19:07:46 »

If people want to protest, let them protest. Protests on U.K. affairs happen all the time and I dare say will grow in size as the months and years pass.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 30, 2017, 19:09:48 by Costanza » Logged
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #18622 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 23:18:30 »

Not directed at anyone here, but it pisses me off when people act like you can't protest against Trump unless you've done 8 million other charitable things that day, just because he was elected democratically.

You can't save everyone. People who work for the RSPCA don't dedicate their lives to saving children. It doesn't mean they look at the work children's charities do and say "well I'm not interested in that, I like kids getting beaten up."

Everyone has a right to be pissed off and protest, and it doesn't mean a) it's all they care about or b) that all they do is wave banners. Cognitive bias.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #18623 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 08:00:36 »

I've seen or heard of protests for both of those.

This is just making more media headlines.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #18624 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 08:52:32 »

I've seen or heard of protests for both of those.

This is just making more media headlines.
and that is my biggest gripe. It shouldn't get more headlines
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #18625 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 08:52:47 »

Not directed at anyone here, but it pisses me off when people act like you can't protest against Trump unless you've done 8 million other charitable things that day, just because he was elected democratically.

You can't save everyone. People who work for the RSPCA don't dedicate their lives to saving children. It doesn't mean they look at the work children's charities do and say "well I'm not interested in that, I like kids getting beaten up."

Everyone has a right to be pissed off and protest, and it doesn't mean a) it's all they care about or b) that all they do is wave banners. Cognitive bias.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that Ells. It's more the scale that is amusing/frustrating. when things happen that directly impact on the UK (And I'm not for one minute saying that Trump won't have an impact) like social care cuts, NHS cuts, etc, there seems to be less people willing to stand up.

It's All Good..............
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18626 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 10:23:36 »

and that is my biggest gripe. It shouldn't get more headlines
Well that's not the fault of the people protesting is it? That's down to the media, largely I suspect for the reasons BD said.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18627 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 10:27:46 »

I don't think anyone was suggesting that Ells. It's more the scale that is amusing/frustrating. when things happen that directly impact on the UK (And I'm not for one minute saying that Trump won't have an impact) like social care cuts, NHS cuts, etc, there seems to be less people willing to stand up.
Once Teresa bends us all over a table in her rush to seal a trade deal with the US, to make up for Brexit isolation, it will make TTIP look benign. You can kiss goodbye to the NHS once that starts to take effect. Don't expect much media focus on that either, because most of those same papers that don't cover the effects of cuts, or protests against them, have been slathering to dismantle the NHS for years.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #18628 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 11:47:23 »

Well that's not the fault of the people protesting is it? That's down to the media, largely I suspect for the reasons BD said.
Well it is really isn't,if the same numbers showed enough outrage at everything else it would be covered.let's not kid ourselves more people are protesting here because it's fashionable simple as that. Makes me laugh like i said. Guarantee half these people protesting that May won't get involved in this are the same lot who thought Obama should keep his nose out of our business last year.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #18629 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2017, 12:32:28 »

Well it is really isn't,if the same numbers showed enough outrage at everything else it would be covered.let's not kid ourselves more people are protesting here because it's fashionable simple as that. Makes me laugh like i said. Guarantee half these people protesting that May won't get involved in this are the same lot who thought Obama should keep his nose out of our business last year.
So you reckon you know the motivations of thousands of people you've never even met? Maybe there's more people responding to this because they're sufficiently outraged by what Trump had already done and the threat they feel he represents that that's motivated them to get off their butts and do something about it. Should they be just as outraged by the plight of the homeless, cuts to the disabled, child poverty, world hunger, disease, the attacks on the NHS etc etc. Yeah, probably. But you don't get to decide what motivates other people, they do. But maybe having finally been moved to respond to Trump, some of those people will also think a bit more about some of those other issues as well. And in the meantime, if you think those issues are important, then you're quite free to campaign on them and persuade others to join you (and if you are doing already, then great, more people should be doing that), but that still doesn't entitle you to sneer at what other people see as important, any more than they are entitled to sneer at your priorities.
Pages: 1 ... 1239 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 1245 ... 1935   Go Up
Print
Jump to: