Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 1254 ... 3979   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9022528 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #18750 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 13:46:00 »

Goldson to Swindon isn't exactly a step up though, I'd agree with that.
I would agree 95% but also he would be leaving a team that have only just got promoted from L2 to a team that were 90 minutes away from the Championship, that is a bit of a step up IMO.

Whether we will have another good season this year though obviously remains to be seen.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18751 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 17:05:48 »

I would agree 95% but also he would be leaving a team that have only just got promoted from L2 to a team that were 90 minutes away from the Championship, that is a bit of a step up IMO.

Whether we will have another good season this year though obviously remains to be seen.

This will depend massively on the guys we sign up. I'm happy with the loans we are targeting and trialists are no harm whatsoever but as well as these, i'm interested in the permanent signing that show real intent. Signing Connor would show the kind of ambition for another promotion push. I'm confident in 4 weeks time; Town will have a team to compete in the top 4 this season.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #18752 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 19:42:59 »

Good point, we have the cash and he's not adverse to a 50% clause, balances the risk of a player being a dud.
+ Storey to sweeten the deal a little.

As had been said, it would be a small step up for the player if he came to us. He and Shrews could hold out for better so I can't see him joining the red STFC.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #18753 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 19:52:06 »

He'd be a regular mainstay of our team armed with, no doubt, Power's promise of not standing in his way when/if the real big boys come calling.

He can always point to Luongo and Gladwin to show how quick things can happen.
Flashheart

« Reply #18754 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 19:56:27 »

It's easy to see why young players would want to join us. It's not necessarily about the 'size' of the club. Potential recruites only need to be reminded of the Luongo's, Gladwin's, Mason's, Pritchard's and so on.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #18755 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 19:58:43 »

He'd be a regular mainstay of our team armed with, no doubt, Power's promise of not standing in his way when/if the real big boys come calling.

He can always point to Luongo and Gladwin to show how quick things can happen.
You're not wrong, but it does appear as though he could potentially get a better deal - wages and length of contract - elsewhere. I suspect it could be another Alfie Mawson.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18756 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:02:41 »

Its certainly done us no harm convincing new young players to join having international players and selling players to the Championship.

That said, if he's good enough I can't see why Shrewsbury wouldn't be just as good for Goldson to put himself in the shop window.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #18757 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:03:24 »

No doubt he could.

But he could also only be a bit-part player at said club. He, hopefully, could see how the potential of him being in the shop window week in week out with us would eventually get him a shot at a 'bigger' club.

If good enough he would progress with us - and quickly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18758 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:05:38 »

Bit part? He played 44 league games for them last year. He won the supporter player of the year and players player awards too if Wiki is to be believed.

I could see it if he wanted to move this way, or thought that our style of play would see him dvelop quicker. Well sort of.

Lets see.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #18759 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:10:41 »

I meant bit part if he was enticed by more money/contract with a more 'higher profile' club than ourselves if he should leave Shrews
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #18760 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:12:29 »

Oh I see, yes sorry, I agree there.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #18761 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:31:09 »

No doubt he could.

But he could also only be a bit-part player at said club. He, hopefully, could see how the potential of him being in the shop window week in week out with us would eventually get him a shot at a 'bigger' club.

If good enough he would progress with us - and quickly.
'Could' but might not. Mawson got a three year deal at Barnsley, and I doubt he's gone there to be a bit-part player after his successful season in League 2. This Shrews guy might not be any different. Even if we offer him an acceptable wage, a three year contract, an acceptable release clause, guarantee him a place in the first 11, pay Shrewsbury an acceptable transfer fee with sell-on, etc etc, it only takes one other club to better us.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #18762 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:37:35 »

I was basing my assumptions on him going to a club such as Leeds who have made a bid (or not) but have now dropped their interest.

I doubt there would be many clubs at our level that could/would offer him a package wildly above what we would.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #18763 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 20:42:51 »

I was basing my assumptions on him going to a club such as Leeds who have made a bid (or not) but have now dropped their interest.

I doubt there would be many clubs at our level that could/would offer him a package wildly above what we would.
That's fair enough, SP. If the reports are to be believed, we're lucky that we've got a good wedge of cash to go towards a transfer fee. I think you are right in that there might not be many clubs in our division that could spend over half a mill on one player. Suppose it is down to Shrews and the player now. And any other club that may show an interest...
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #18764 on: Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 22:38:26 »

This will depend massively on the guys we sign up. I'm happy with the loans we are targeting and trialists are no harm whatsoever but as well as these, i'm interested in the permanent signing that show real intent. Signing Connor would show the kind of ambition for another promotion push. I'm confident in 4 weeks time; Town will have a team to compete in the top 4 this season.

Really?  I love your confidence but..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 1254 ... 3979   Go Up
Print
Jump to: