Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: smokers  (Read 3190 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #15 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 09:10:28 »

Quote from: "StefPol"
I've only ever had one cigarette in my life, and i dont see the reasons why many peole like smoking.  

Pretty much every one else in my family (parents, cousins, uncles, aunties) all smoke, yet both me and my brother are the only ones who dont

Smoking is one of them habits which i never understand.  Whats the big attraction from having a fag ?  Does it relieve stress ? Is it just something to put in your mouth when your bored ?

:?

That is exactly my situation aswell, I just don't get the attraction at all?
Red81

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 09:12:57 »

Quote from: "Ted"
Quote from: "StefPol"
I've only ever had one cigarette in my life, and i dont see the reasons why many peole like smoking.  

Pretty much every one else in my family (parents, cousins, uncles, aunties) all smoke, yet both me and my brother are the only ones who dont

Smoking is one of them habits which i never understand.  Whats the big attraction from having a fag ?  Does it relieve stress ? Is it just something to put in your mouth when your bored ?

:?

That is exactly my situation aswell, I just don't get the attraction at all?
It actually takes a fucking long time to start to enjoying cigarettes and becoming addicted.

So... yeah I don't understand why either. But 10 years or so have passed?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh?

Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats
STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #17 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 09:19:01 »

I'm not a smoker but the smoking ban is Wrong.

People should be given the choice In my opinion

Like gay pubs etc.

There should be smoking pubs and non smoking pubs that way you get a choice. It is discrimination really. Plus people know that there is smoke in pubs, if you don't want to be around smoke

A) Dont go in there
B) Dont work in a pub as you know there are smokers in there.
mattboyslim

« Reply #18 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 09:37:44 »

Quote from: "STFC_Loyalist"
I'm not a smoker but the smoking ban is Wrong.

People should be given the choice In my opinion

Like gay pubs etc.

There should be smoking pubs and non smoking pubs that way you get a choice. It is discrimination really. Plus people know that there is smoke in pubs, if you don't want to be around smoke

A) Dont go in there
B) Dont work in a pub as you know there are smokers in there.

I disagree, as a non smoke I guess I'm bound to but:

How do you determine how many non-smoking pubs to have?
How do you determine which they are?

It's well reported that all pus expect to loose money as a result of the ban (awaiting to be proven) so it would be a bit of a lottery making these decisions.  IMHO the pubs that will suffer are the older more traditional pubs - like many in old town, especially those wth no outside space.  Wlakabout etc will still be packed - people won;t change there saturday night plans cos of the ban.  

Also it is for the greater good of the nation- if people give up it will make people healthier - a worthwhile tax hit IMHO.  Smoking is unlike other 'bad habits' likedrinking for example, whereby someone who smokes is directly affecting those around them, and they have no choice in it.
STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #19 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 09:52:00 »

If the government thought smoking was that bad they would ban it all together but they lose the tax money and know that cigarettes and all that would go underground and that  people would just bring them in from abroad anyway.

Older traditional pubs perhaps in villages should be allowed to smoke as most people do smoke in them, larger chain pubs doing food you shouldnt be able to.

I work for a company that runs 170 pubs and clubs across the UK so I know how it will effect us as it did with Wales and Scotland.
mattboyslim

« Reply #20 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 10:01:39 »

If the government thought smoking was that bad they would ban it all together but they lose the tax money and know that cigarettes and all that would go underground and that  people would just bring them in from abroad anyway.

Older traditional pubs perhaps in villages should be allowed to smoke as most people do smoke in them, larger chain pubs doing food you shouldnt be able to.

I work for a company that runs 170 pubs and clubs across the UK so I know how it will effect us as it did with Wales and Scotland.

Smoking is as bad as drinking - in terms of health damage, it isn't however feasible to ban it altogether - they are however ensuring that smokers are only able to damage their own lungs not those of everyone else.

As for older pubs in villages etc it's impossible - if you say lived on Wroughton, there is no Weatherpspoons etc, but you should be able to go for a smoke free pint, by your rationale because you live 'in the sticks' you can't do it.  I firmly believe the only possible way of having a ban in some pubs and not other would be to organise it by a measure it by outside space available, that in itself isn't workable either as you create issues in town centres where the pubs like walkabout have no outside area.
STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #21 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 10:21:22 »

I'm probably more "for smoking" as I work in the pub industry and therefore should business drop dramatically I could lose my job. many pubs in villages and etc will close down as people would rather stay home for a smoke and have a couple of tins. It wouldnt be feaseable to keep the pub open. We already have a couple pubs in wales and scotland that we own, that are closed because its cheaper to keep them closed than open them due to smoking bans there.
Barry Scott

« Reply #22 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 10:37:57 »

Quote from: "herthab"

Putting another spin on that...

Less smokers equals less of a burden on the NHS, so would mean less tax needed to fund it.

Just rough figures i remember from somewhere, which i cannot guarantee the accuracy of, but i know they are a few years old.

£8.8 billion in tax on smokers.

£1.2 billion cost to the NHS.

I think i recall that around £1 billion of that is on helping smokers quit (patches etc). Therefore the direct result of smoking related illness is a cost of around £200m on the NHS.

This means the government make a profit of £7.6 Billion.

Now, If everyone gives up, thats a massive shortfall. We'd have £8.8 billion lost from tax, and £1.2 billion from caring for ex-smokers. We could actually remove the £200m cost of caring for the illnesses caused, as they'd supposedly dissappear. However, more would then use patches and the like from our rather overly charitable buffet like NHS.

I think it's fair to say that the £1.2 billion would more than double, but what is clear is there would be a minimum of a £9.8 billion shortfall.

There's around 12 million smokers in the UK, and 29 million tax payers, 80% of the cost of cigarettes is tax.

Anyway for the ease of maths, the £10 billion (probably more) shortfall would cost each UK tax payer an extra £344.84 per year.

Smokers were paying that, why does everyone else want to? Surely that hurts more than a bit of poxy smoke in the streets?

I'm not trying to start an argument herthab, just enlightening some!  Cool
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 11:04:38 »

i think it is fair to say that not everyone will give up. Last estimate I saw was they thought that 600, 000 will give up (source http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6196910.stm ).  

I agree the govenment will find new and exciting ways to tax us in order to make that deficit up mind. I vote for an ex-smoker tax.
Barry Scott

« Reply #24 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 11:10:35 »

Quote from: "Batch"
i think it is fair to say that not everyone will give up. Last estimate I saw was they thought that 600, 000 will give up (source http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6196910.stm ).  

I agree the govenment will find new and exciting ways to tax us in order to make that deficit up mind. I vote for an ex-smoker tax.

Cheesy I vote for fat tax.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 11:21:44 »

Quote from: "Barry Scott"

Bastard. Anyway I'm not fat I'm big...oh wait, yes I am.
Barry Scott

« Reply #26 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 11:29:56 »

Quote from: "Batch"
Quote from: "Barry Scott"

Bastard. Anyway I'm not fat I'm big...oh wait, yes I am.

Oops It wasn't directed at you.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 11:50:57 »

I wasn't offended Smiley
sonic youth

« Reply #28 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 11:53:49 »

i was  Crying
magic8ball

« Reply #29 on: Monday, July 2, 2007, 12:04:39 »

I'm probably more "for smoking" as I work in the pub industry and therefore should business drop dramatically I could lose my job. many pubs in villages and etc will close down as people would rather stay home for a smoke and have a couple of tins. It wouldnt be feaseable to keep the pub open. We already have a couple pubs in wales and scotland that we own, that are closed because its cheaper to keep them closed than open them due to smoking bans there.

People will still go to pubs, clubs and other public venues. The smoking ban won't actually reduce the amount people go out. I'm living in Wales, and haven't seen any change in the amount people go out. But when you speak to most people, they reckon its so much better now our clothes aren't stinking of smoke the next day.

The problem with ciggies is, that when they are used as directed (i.e. not abused) they will end up killing you. Alcohol isn't quite on the same level, unless its abused.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: