Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon Match Day Thread  (Read 40183 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 18:54:51 »

when is Lawrence back ?
He was being assessed today re progress, but Williams did say there be may none of the absentees available for Sat.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 20:24:14 »

Thing is with goalkeepers, is that when they they have  a "bit of a mare" it really sticks in peoples minds and everybody remembers.
A striker could miss numerous easy looking chances throughout a game but if he scores a last minute winner,he"s a hero.

So very true and how come Scunny were allowed so many shots on target?

I wasn't there but from what I have seen of Belford he probably won't cut it in the FL and would be better off gaining more playing experience in the Conference. 

We've had no 2 keepers who have had to be quite important in having to step up regularly such as Nicki Hammond and Smithy who, whilst they showed they were No. 2 for a reason, were also capable of match winning displays in their own right (well beyond Belford's one, late save at Coventry)
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 21:19:36 »

Why were so many shots allowed to be taken at his chest?  The defenders in front of him were absolutely shit yesterday - I guess a scapegoat is needed!

Yep, I phrased that very badly. My aim wasn't to scapegoat, I was instead questioning Belford's technique in the examples showed on Player. I'm not blaming Belford for the number of shots - that comes from an entire team's efforts - I am question how he tried to deal with a sample shown.

This is getting very Storey-ish in its level of polarised debate.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 07:21:39 »

Yep, I phrased that very badly. My aim wasn't to scapegoat, I was instead questioning Belford's technique in the examples showed on Player. I'm not blaming Belford for the number of shots - that comes from an entire team's efforts - I am question how he tried to deal with a sample shown.

This is getting very Storey-ish in its level of polarised debate.
Fair enough, a lot of people are blaming Belford but the sorry tale is that we had 51% possession but only 1 shot on target - perhaps we should all start to blame Ajose who failed to score seven!!!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 08:47:39 »

Fair enough, a lot of people are blaming Belford but the sorry tale is that we had 51% possession but only 1 shot on target - perhaps we should all start to blame Ajose who failed to score seven!!!

I know that was tongue in cheek... but Ajose's scoring record is sublime. He's the top goalscorer in the division despite playing considerably less and having fewer shots.

Belfords record in goal for us is pretty terrible.... I don't like scapegoating at all and I'm not blaming him entirely for the defeat but he should be doing a lot better with some of those chances. I like the guy, you can't question his commitment and he has a lot of time for the fans but is he good enough to ever be our number 1? I can't see it, and I'm sure Ty won't want to be no. 2 for his whole career.
Flashheart

« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 08:50:13 »

I've not seen the highlights, and don't think I'll bother, but it's not scapegoating if he's just not good enough. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 08:50:50 »

What is now certain is that we've a massive game on our hands on Saturday.

We need a reaction we need to see some sort of competence in performance and not to ship goals harum-scarum. Williams is a rookie manager, and if he had any self doubt about his suitability for the post, this will certainly exercise his mind.

The good thing is, a win isn't imperative, a point will do.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 08:59:11 »

Not Belford's fault we lost, it was always likely to happen with the defence we had.
The thing that concerns me is that he does seem to let in a high proportion of shots on target in.
Against Wigan at one point they had scored with 4 out of 5, and Scunthorpe was 6 out of 10.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 09:13:17 »

when is Lawrence back ?

Looking at him I am just worried that Belford may have eaten him.....
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 09:37:24 »

I've not actually seen anyone blaming the defeat on him they've just pointed out that he had a terrible game and questioned whether he is actually good enough to play league football as in the past a lot of people have claimed he should be playing ahead of Vigs. Based on evidence to date you can see why even when Vigs was making mistakes Belford never got a look in....
Stevens

« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 10:27:29 »

Belford is just your average reserve keeper, good enough maybe for Div 2.
That is a comment I would give to 50% or more of our squad.
I think they have been sucked in my opposition managers stating Swindon are good side, we are not a good side but a very average one dimensional side who can easily be blocked out.
How lucky we had that good run, would like to see us in a dog fight.
Fleetwood and Oldham are really fighting for their lives, loose these with the fixtures to follow, we will be in that fight as well, and I pretty sure we haven't got the stomach to have the fight.

The talent we had at this club last season should have won this division by April.

I'm not knocking Belford by the way, it is always easy to blame the keeper even if he is average.
Let's hope we can pick up three points from the next two games.
REDBUCK

« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 10:50:02 »

Belford is just your average reserve keeper, good enough maybe for Div 2.
That is a comment I would give to 50% or more of our squad.
I think they have been sucked in my opposition managers stating Swindon are good side, we are not a good side but a very average one dimensional side who can easily be blocked out.
How lucky we had that good run, would like to see us in a dog fight.
Fleetwood and Oldham are really fighting for their lives, loose these with the fixtures to follow, we will be in that fight as well, and I pretty sure we haven't got the stomach to have the fight.

The talent we had at this club last season should have won this division by April.

I'm not knocking Belford by the way, it is always easy to blame the keeper even if he is average.
Let's hope we can pick up three points from the next two games.

So, based on that, the talent we had last season didn't have the stomach for a promotion push.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 10:50:02 »

I've not changed my mind since January, keeping Obika and Ajose fit gives us a chance against most.  Take them away and we'd be in a right proper relegation scrap.

It may be obvious, but that's where our squad is at IMO.

That's not to say it hasn't improved over the seasons and that there isn't potential there for next. Its just not there yet.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 10:51:15 »

So, based on that, the talent we had last season didn't have the stomach for a promotion push.

I think he's just saying the league is weaker this year, which it is??

edit: oh wait, I read that as last years talent in this years league, not last years talent in last years league. So Huh??
adje

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2016, 10:56:05 »

I've not actually seen anyone blaming the defeat on him they've just pointed out that he had a terrible game and questioned whether he is actually good enough to play league football as in the past a lot of people have claimed he should be playing ahead of Vigs. Based on evidence to date you can see why even when Vigs was making mistakes Belford never got a look in....
just watched the highlights and although i bow to anyone's opinion who was actually there but how can any of those goals apart from the cross/shot be blamed on belford?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: