Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon Match Day Thread  (Read 40193 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 12:31:52 »

Belford is adequate back up but nowhere near the quality we need for our first team regular, if his confidence hasnt been totally ruined by yesterday.

He just doesn't seem to have much agility and for a somewhat bulky player a hell of a lot goes through him, perhaps because he is so large he cannot get down quickly?

Nathan.....WTF seriously get rid of him? course not....the man just needs to calm himself down at times and he is regularly going into tackles studs up and he needs to improve his timing. With a half decent defensive coach he would get that. His running with the ball is at times far better than any other L1 centre back/sweeper/RB which could be his problem, he needs to find his best position and stick to it. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is a great club servant and will get better.

Will he get better though, he is 25 now and no longer a youngster, he is very short to play at CB and I suspect he would be better at RB? I do think he gets away with a lot of his suspect tackles and needless bookings as he is 'one of us' all this youngster done well and heart on the sleeve stuff means he gets less of a battering than many and avoids being the designated scapegoat that our fans love.

No reason to get rid, but equally he needs to start to show what he is made of, having the captain at the back one would expect the defence to be organised and marshalled at least to a degree, this doesn't seem to be happening and any amount of badge kissing should not be allowed to hide that!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 12:32:34 »

some very good keepers have struggled with the high ones. Well David Seamen, oh and Peter 'best before Italia 90'  Shilton, at Italia 90.

I'll defer the rest of his performance evaluation to those that went.

while I share reservations, a jittery crowd on Saturday isn't going to be helpful, as understandable as it may be.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #227 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 12:38:17 »

Belford is hilariously bad. Like a short Fola Onion Bhaji but in goal.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 12:45:59 »

He just doesn't seem to have much agility and for a somewhat bulky player a hell of a lot goes through him, perhaps because he is so large he cannot get down quickly?

Will he get better though, he is 25 now and no longer a youngster, he is very short to play at CB and I suspect he would be better at RB? I do think he gets away with a lot of his suspect tackles and needless bookings as he is 'one of us' all this youngster done well and heart on the sleeve stuff means he gets less of a battering than many and avoids being the designated scapegoat that our fans love.

No reason to get rid, but equally he needs to start to show what he is made of, having the captain at the back one would expect the defence to be organised and marshalled at least to a degree, this doesn't seem to be happening and any amount of badge kissing should not be allowed to hide that!

Our defence is much better with him in than without. I doubt we'd have conceded 6 with him in the side yesterday.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #229 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 12:47:00 »

I agree totally. He needs to show restraint. I do think at 25 there is plenty of room to improve, look at Jamie Vardy who at 25 was playing for Fleetwood.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
REDBUCK

« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 12:59:50 »

Just made myself watch the goals from yesterday, look just as bad as they looked at the time.

Feel the same as one of the previous posters about not going again this season. I had a few games pencilled in that I wanted to go to, yesterday has put an end to those. Not wasting my money/time travelling up to see the dross that was served up yesterday.

Did I miss the announcement that today was Drama Queen day. Cheesy
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 13:16:58 »

Did I miss the announcement that today was Drama Queen day. Cheesy
No but it is im still really fucked off i made an 10 hour round trip to watch a 6-0 defeat in which they were fucking pathetic day today.  Yes
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 13:17:52 »

Just watched all the goals from the weekend.

To be fair to Belford there wasn't much he could do against Wigan... But as for yesterday, how is EVERYTHING going through him? I mean it's not as if he had much help in front of him but you expect your keeper to be able to make some saves at least!

A positive response on Saturday and all will be forgiven I expect.
Chrystovski

« Reply #233 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 13:18:00 »

Nathan Thompson is a far better RB than a CB.

His lack of positional sense and height is exposed when he plays as a CB.

Move him to RB, he's good on the ball, quick and a far better player defensively than Barry.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 13:21:30 »

No but it is im still really fucked off i made an 10 hour round trip to watch a 6-0 defeat in which they were fucking pathetic day today.  Yes

It's my ball and I'm going home.

Pleeeassee I was there at Middlesbrough (6-0), Forest (7-1), Cheltenham (5-0), Ipswich at home (6-0) and countless others and kept going. Getting the occasional drubbing is part of the fun right?  Pint
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 13:35:25 »

Pleeeassee I was there at Middlesbrough (6-0), Forest (7-1), Cheltenham (5-0), Ipswich at home (6-0) and countless others and kept going. Getting the occasional drubbing is part of the fun right?  Pint
And I was at 3 of those as well, still cba for the rest of this season though!
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 13:36:59 »

Just watching the highlights and getting angry about Belford. How many times does the ball hit him on the chest? He seems to almost pull his hands back out of the way. Really weird.
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 13:48:36 »

Fucking jinx

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 14:02:22 »

Yay, these are the sort of performances that I used to remember oh so well. I'll have to start attending again.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 14:33:36 »

Nathan Thompson is a far better RB than a CB.

His lack of positional sense and height is exposed when he plays as a CB.

Move him to RB, he's good on the ball, quick and a far better player defensively than Barry.

Nathan has played 15 league games this season we've lost 3.  He plays as a sweeper, the other 2 big units are meant to do the heading.

There's no real reason why he couldn't play in a back 4 as CB....PdC used Alan Mac there, Javier Mascarano is smaller than NT and Fabio Cannavaro no bigger.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 29, 2016, 15:02:19 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: