Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Are we the original robins?  (Read 3331 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 20:14:48 »

I'm extremely bored tonight, the Chelsea-Barca game is pretty decent but i've always wondered this and thought I'd do a little research to find out once and for all.

Wikipedia and various other pages state that we have been the robins since we switched to a lighter shade of red in 1902, which is pretty early.

Bristol City seem to have a very on-off relationship with the nickname. I can't seem to find any hard claims linking them to the nick name in an early year, just that it starting appearing on their badge in the 70's and some loose claims that they have been associated with the name for 'over 70 years'

A quick google search will tell you that Cheltenham became the robins when they moved to Whaddon Road in 1932 and changed their kits to red and white, before they were called 'the rubies' because of their deep red kit (much like their kit at the moment funnily enough)

Wrexham, who have now changed their nickname to The Dragons, were apparently named The Robins after their first manager Ted Robinson, who began managing them in 1912.

Charlton flirted with the nickname but have had several others, wikipedia states from 1931

Altrincham although founded in 1891, weren't called Altrincham until 1903 and some reports state original nickname as The Heathens or ‘The Old Heathens’

Anyone know of anything to suggest anyone else were known as the robins anywhere close to 1902?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 20:24:10 »

I wish we took The Moonrakers nickname.

I wouldn't dream of making our mascot redundant though...
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 20:24:22 »

Reg should have a field day with this one.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 20:51:45 »

I know for many years we were better known as The Railwaymen.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 20:58:16 »

Which is better than the Robins.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:08:30 »

A short while back some people romanticised the idea of nicknaming the club 'The Moonrakers' and I think I may have bought into it at the time.

Now I realise football nicknames are pointless, gimicky and completely naff so couldn't give a toss.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:12:29 »

Now I realise football nicknames are pointless, gimicky and completely naff so couldn't give a toss.

Why let the facts get in the way of a good time?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:13:00 »

I've never identified with 'the Robins'.  It isn't unique to us and neither will you ever hear it from the stands.  It's a term used only by journalists, so far as I can tell.  'The Moonrakers' would be better.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:27:37 »

I remember a Moonraker making an appearance at various promotion games in the late 1980's and early 90's. I think it would play on the original Wiltshire legend that our opponents are playing country bumpkins who actually usurp the authorities who dismiss us. No reason to not have another nickname in the way that Ipswich became known as the tractor boys
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:32:00 »

Yeah but the kids love it when Rockin Robin does his paedo dance with the girls on the pitch. Can't imagine a bloke with a straw hat, dungarees and a rake would have quite the same effect.

Remember we're a family club now.
kerry red

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:40:23 »

Fuckin' hate the nickname Robins - sounds so wussy.

ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:40:59 »

The Spartans is another lesser known nickname of the club and a fucking class one, referenced on http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk

[url width=385 height=90]http://www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk/images/Title/TitleSTFCcouk_5.jpg[/url]

We were originally 'Swindon Spartans' after all.  
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:48:36 »

Fuckin' hate the nickname Robins - sounds so wussy.

Robins are tough animals.

Very, very feisty and rather intelligent (as far as birds go)
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 21:57:21 »

I remember a Moonraker making an appearance at various promotion games in the late 1980's and early 90's.

Wasn't that David Howell's dad ?
fatbasher

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 22:00:22 »

I believe Crew are called that, so not an original one if we ever adopted it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: