Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Luton Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 43514 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:05:57 »

One of us fuckers had better win the Euro Millions pronto
Flashheart

« Reply #181 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:11:11 »

I wish Power would fuck off, it's clearly not working out. On the condition we get a better replacement, of course.

I am not buying into the conspiracy theories though, I think he's just not very good at running a football club. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:11:33 »

I'd wager it's a hell of a long time since we conceded 5 without reply in a single half. If ever. Complete embarrassment, the lack of effort to even to pretend they were trying to get the ball back when Luton were passing it round to oles from all sides of the ground should have been shaming for any professional

I've been giving this a bit of thought... prob back to the Prem season again when we shipped 7 at Newcastle, it was 2 at half time, so 5 in the 2nd half.... plenty of 4's mind.

Further thought reveals we shipped 5 in a half at Burnden Park in the late 90's... when losing 7-0

Home games may be further back.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:21:00 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:11:56 »

It certainly feels as if we are in terminal decline. But I fail to see what benefit it is to Power to get us relegated.

Does he thinks he can buy the ground, essentially finish off the club and then redevelop the CG without a club dragging him down?
You fucker! That’s just what I was thinking and going to post.

Does it seem like a coincidence that power has now made moves to purchase the GC after the Trust have made their intentions crystal clear in meeting SBC? Before the trusts involvement nothing stood between Power running the club into the ground or building a championship/premiership club. So which would be easier and or less costly?

Running the club into the ground to secure the freehold from the council (with nothing paying SBC any money each year it’s empty) does seem far fetched. Then again the rewards in doing so with no opposition or alternative viable proposition for SBC must be phenomenal.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:12:18 »

One of us fuckers had better win the Euro Millions pronto
Concur
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:15:38 »

I wish Power would fuck off, it's clearly not working out. On the condition we get a better replacement, of course.

I am not buying into the conspiracy theories though, I think he's just not very good at running a football club. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong though.

Although he's not very good at running a club, we know there are worse out there. If he does go I'd like to see the Trust step up. If a club like Exeter can keep league football run by their Trust, we should be able to.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:18:37 »

I've been giving this a bit of thought... prob back to the Prem season again when we shipped 7 at Newcastle, it was 2 at half time, so 5 in the 2nd half.... plenty of 4's mind.
Cheers Reg. But even that was away. Today could well be our worst 45 mins at home in our history?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:20:14 by pauld » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:26:14 »

Cheers Reg. But even that was away. Today could well be our worst 45 mins at home in our history?

I guess it's relative but losing 4-1 at home to Barnet earlier this season was pretty desperate... at least Luton look the best team in this Div and score big numbers.

Barnet were happily 24th a couple of weeks back after only 1 win in 13 after their trip to the CG.

I'll look into the last time we shipped 5 in a half at the CG
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:27:44 »

Flitcroft said last seasons mentality is still here.

2 players in the starting XI were here last season.

Fucking idiot
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:33:22 »

I guess it's relative but losing 4-1 at home to Barnet earlier this season was pretty desperate... at least Luton look the best team in this Div and score big numbers.

Barnet were happily 24th a couple of weeks back after only 1 win in 13 after their trip to the CG.
Yeah, in relative terms you can always argue the toss, but in terms of objective absolute worst numbers of goals conceded I don't imagine there are many sides that have conceded 5 in one half at home
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:45:42 »

Yeah, in relative terms you can always argue the toss, but in terms of objective absolute worst numbers of goals conceded I don't imagine there are many sides that have conceded 5 in one half at home

Well it's never happened in my life time.

Our first ever FL home game at the CG was v Luton we won 9-1
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 20:55:53 »

You fucker! That’s just what I was thinking and going to post.

Does it seem like a coincidence that power has now made moves to purchase the GC after the Trust have made their intentions crystal clear in meeting SBC? Before the trusts involvement nothing stood between Power running the club into the ground or building a championship/premiership club. So which would be easier and or less costly?

Running the club into the ground to secure the freehold from the council (with nothing paying SBC any money each year it’s empty) does seem far fetched. Then again the rewards in doing so with no opposition or alternative viable proposition for SBC must be phenomenal.
Would make a nice training ground for Waterford though.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #192 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:08:28 »

First half I thought we did ok. Great ball from Mullin to Woolery who overhit what should have been an easy pass for a goal. The one thing that was obvious was how well coached Luton were. You could see the training ground moves. Three times in the first half they played the ball forward to a bloke on the line who would play it back to oncoming forwards. It never worked but was cleaver.
The second half they never tried it but everything was to feet, pass and move. Sheehan's crosses were causing us problems all game whereas Taylor rarely got beyond the first man. Everyone has covered pretty much everything else.
Why the fuck was Mullin taken off? Yet again, we lacked a leader. Who do the players turn to when it goes to shit? The heads went down on the 2nd goal and they never went up again.
The one comment Flitcroft said a little while ago that worries the shit out of me is that only what happens in the boxes matters. Given Dunne and Linganzi, I think we've got to take him literally. How do you expect to control a game if you haven't got a decent midfield. You've got to have a very efficient defence and we certainly haven't got it. Preston has gone from excellent to total shite. Lancaster I've never been impressed by. Taylor is as much a defender as I am a ballerina. Despite the shit he takes and being a Scummer, Purkiss is the pick of the bunch.
One thing we had earlier is that the team were together. Thats long gone. Has anyone heard anything about a possible Gurney/ Hewlett situation which may account for it.
So what have we got left? Today was really embarrassing but I felt worse losing at home to Eastleigh last season. In isolation this result isn;t an issue, but losing at home to Newport and Colchester was fucking desperate.
Today was was a day to impress some part time fans. I can see gates in the New Year going down to 4k and with that budgets etc. This club is going to need something to get back on its uppers. Given Powers ability to pick managers, we may be better off sticking and hoping. I wouldn't be sorry to see Flitcroft go but I have no faith in the next one being any good. Please not Taylor as a cheap option.
Its not been a great day.  
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:11:22 »

What would it take for you to get back the fight? 

In Div 4 there are plenty of clubs who've had to go down to the Conference to get their mojo back... including Luton, and our old friends from Rovers and Oxford.   Personally I'll happily enjoy the fight of trying to retain league status, which under Power's ownership is far from a given.

Honestly, I just don’t know.  I suppose it’s genuinely feeling that we’ve at least got the ambition to get to the Championship at some point in the future.  At the moment, I’m struggling to even see us returning to League 1.  Aside from that it’s the complete lack of football being played.  We’ve had managers before who haven’t had us playing nice to watch football, but there’s still been a level of enjoyment.  This season I’m getting no enjoyment whatsoever.  I don’t think that will change under Flitcroft.

I don’t think Power’s out to ruin us, but he doesn’t appear to be overly interested in the club either.  I’d like to see him move on now, but that’s easier said than done.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Tuesday, December 26, 2017, 21:19:45 »

Honestly, I just don’t know.  I suppose it’s genuinely feeling that we’ve at least got the ambition to get to the Championship at some point in the future.  At the moment, I’m struggling to even see us returning to League 1.  Aside from that it’s the complete lack of football being played.  We’ve had managers before who haven’t had us playing nice to watch football, but there’s still been a level of enjoyment.  This season I’m getting no enjoyment whatsoever.  I don’t think that will change under Flitcroft.

I don’t think Power’s out to ruin us, but he doesn’t appear to be overly interested in the club either.  I’d like to see him move on now, but that’s easier said than done.

Some of the away games this season have been very entertaining, we've scored more goals on the road than even Luton, however the home form has been desperate for 2 and half seasons now. On paper at least once we've got Notts out of the way, the home fixtures look a little kinder, not that means much, other than if Flitters can find a couple of decent signings in the window, we might be able to start building some form.

We probably need a new left back and new centre back and a couple of midfield players, I'm writing off Hussey and Elsnik. If Keshi goes back we'll also need another front man.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: