Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Leeds V Swindon Matchday Thread.  (Read 27186 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #225 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:19:52 »

Out of interest, where were we in league one when Sturrock left? I can't remember how late through the season it was. It wasn't that many games was it?

I don't think looking back under Sturrock really achieves much. Did the the same players have the potential to do better a year and however long ago? Obviously. Do they still have that potential? No. Why? Who knows.

Players aren't FM lists of numbers where it's just a case of dragging out a right formation and pressing the right button at half time. For whatever reasons it's becoming pretty obvious that the potential of this squad has dropped, and I'm not sure you could bring Sturrock back now and he could change that.
santasdead

« Reply #226 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:21:15 »

The police being leeds fans were probably just fucked off because our support was amounts better than their home support, which incidently only came to life when they scored,it was like they'd won the FA Cup - for about a minute until cuntford got sent off.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:31:53 »

Out of interest, where were we in league one when Sturrock left? I can't remember how late through the season it was. It wasn't that many games was it?

I don't think looking back under Sturrock really achieves much. Did the the same players have the potential to do better a year and however long ago? Obviously. Do they still have that potential? No. Why? Who knows.

Players aren't FM lists of numbers where it's just a case of dragging out a right formation and pressing the right button at half time. For whatever reasons it's becoming pretty obvious that the potential of this squad has dropped, and I'm not sure you could bring Sturrock back now and he could change that.

Exactly!  Players like Easton, Peacock, JPM, Aljofree, Sturrock, P Smith, Brezovan, Ifil, Corr, Joyce and Allen went backwards in the time period between Sturrock and Wilson, not forgetting the quality signings of Casal, Marshall and Nalis, so why are we expecting Wilson to perform the same miracles that Sturrock performed, bearing in mind that Sturrocjk didn't even have a full season in this league with us and only just managed to get us promoted from league 2 by the skin of our teeth with virtually the same squad!

DV is either typing like a madman, having a shave or has gone to bed!  It's been far too quiet for too long!  Grin
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:33:29 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:35:36 »

I dont expect Wilson to come in and get the team getting the same results Sturrock did. On the flip side I didnt expect him to come in and get similiar results to Malpas.
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #229 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:39:45 »

Having quality coaches like Summerfield and Blackley made a big difference especially Blackley who was obviously the defensive coach, Now we have planks like Byrne, Williams and Granville, i think the coaching is part of the problem and won't be resolved until the three of them leave which i'm not convinced will happen as fitton seems very loyal to them especially Byrne.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:40:55 »

....at the fear of going over a subject that has been done to death a thousand times.

What possible reason could Mr. Fitton have to be loyal to David Byrne of all people?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:41:08 »

I din't listen to this. I've been in the pub all day and heading back soon. I take it we were shit.
Surprisingly no, we weren't. We weren't world class and nor were they and it wasn't a "classic for the neutrals" or a "great advert for lower league football" or any of the old cliches, but we held them off well and looked decent-ish on the break. We rode our luck a fair bit, and it wasn't an unfair result, but overall we didn't put in a bad shift today.

EDIT: Except for Robson Kanu. He was terrible.
I support Wilson
I support the board.
The players are mostly shit.
And this is the real reason I quoted this post. 100% agree. Just wanted to fuck with your head Smiley
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:44:12 by pauld » Logged
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:47:56 »

You don't put a new Manager in and expect results. That is what usually happens I know, but it isn't a given!  What you do expect is to put a new manager in and performances significantly improve, which they have, which in turn should improve results, which they haven't!  This is what I am trying to get across to you DV!

If DW has improved performances but the results haven't improved, is that DW fault? I'm not so sure it is.  Yes he is not immune from the blame obviously, but the players have to take some of the blame, because some games we should have taken guilt edged chances that we didn't, the board have to take some of the blame, because they could have made life a lot easier for the manager, and could have made decisions alot earlier than they have done in the past.

DW will have made mistakes no doubt, but to put this purely down to Wilson when he has not had the luxury of bringing his own players in and having a pre-season to prepare and coach the players is totally unfair IMO.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
pride_of_wilts

« Reply #233 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:49:50 »

....at the fear of going over a subject that has been done to death a thousand times.

What possible reason could Mr. Fitton have to be loyal to David Byrne of all people?

No idea but they seem to be around all the time like a bad smell that you cannot get rid of and it's about time they left as i think theres a problem with the coaching maybe thats why the players are performing like they should be.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:52:53 »

DV, we know each other, we live near each other, maybe we should just go down the local and argue the toss over a couple of pints?

Cheesy

The whole thing probably would have been quicker anyway!

Harsh Funny

Talk Talk

« Reply #235 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:53:50 »

Oooh. I'll sit and be quiet and listen if you buy me a beer.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 00:01:56 by Talk Talk » Logged
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:55:08 »

As long as you don't start any fights!

Grin

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 23:58:59 »

DV, we know each other, we live near each other, maybe we should just go down the local and argue the toss over a couple of pints?

Cheesy

The whole thing probably would have been quicker anyway!

Harsh Funny

the messengers a bit too chavy for me Smiley

I understand your point but then I dont think the performances have improved enough. We still arent picking up enough points.

If we were say mid table i'd share your opinion of Wilsons improved the performances even if we arent getting the results.

Managers are judged on results and Wilson isnt getting them. When it comes to judging Wilson very few people will be of the opinion 'well we didnt win many games under him but the performances improved'

My point has always been we havent improved enough under Wilson and personally I still think the players are better than what they are showing. Its up to the players, Wilson, Byrne, Williams and whoever else to get another 20% out of these players because we're in trouble and it really is do or die, stand up and be counted etc etc etc time.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 00:13:49 »

the messengers a bit too chavy for me Smiley

I understand your point but then I dont think the performances have improved enough. We still arent picking up enough points.

If we were say mid table i'd share your opinion of Wilsons improved the performances even if we arent getting the results.

Managers are judged on results and Wilson isnt getting them. When it comes to judging Wilson very few people will be of the opinion 'well we didnt win many games under him but the performances improved'

My point has always been we havent improved enough under Wilson and personally I still think the players are better than what they are showing. Its up to the players, Wilson, Byrne, Williams and whoever else to get another 20% out of these players because we're in trouble and it really is do or die, stand up and be counted etc etc etc time.

If you want my honest opinion, you think our squad is capable of better than it really is.  You need to bear in mind that this is the pretty much the same squad that scraped out of League 2 on the last day of the season.  Sturrock took this squad to mediocracy before fucking off to pastures new and now we are surprised that pretty much the same squad that only just managed to sustain a top end of the table league 2 finish, are struggling around the bottom of league 1 nearly 2 years later.

The squad is stale and needs a complete clear out, and if that can happen in League 1 at the end of this season then that would be brilliant because if we are talking league 2 then we could be there for a while because we will probably end up keeping players that would be going if we would have stayed up.

When the new board took over everyone though it was a new dawn!  Wrong!  The new dawn is this summer because of the contract situation!  If we are in league 1 I believe we can achieve quite a lot over the next 3-5 years.  If we are in League 2 then expect to be there for a few years at least.

This is not about the manager but more about what you believe our current squad is capable of.  At the start of the season I thought like you, that they were good enough to be minimum midtable, but this season has shown me that we only have possibly 3 or 4 players that are possibly good enough to be first team regulars, nothing to do with the managers, just the individual aspirations of the players themselves.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 00:23:31 »

regarding HRK... i've only seen him twice but it's fair to say both times he's been one of our more effective players, looks creative and works pretty hard too - although doesn't track back much. these two games were warsaw at home and Franchise at home.

yet i often read that he's useless and lazy. is he really inconsistent or have i just caught his only two good performances?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: