Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best seaside towns?  (Read 6506 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:18:47 »

I went to Morecombe on the way back from the lake district earlier this week. 

It was shit.

Never knowingly overstated.
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:19:02 »

agreed. Along the exe estuary through starcross,then along the sea wall past dawlish and teignmouth then up the teign estuary to Newton Abbot. Very nice indeed
Agree with that most definitely, love that bit on the train, something to look forward to on the 3 hour journey
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:19:25 »

I like Torquay and Bournemouth

#VivaKenBarlow!
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:38:27 »

Hi Mystical Goat

I took the little boat over from Padstow to Rock, intended to walk around the Camel Estuary to Polzeath but the weather got the better of me. Totally idyllic. Tried finding John Betjemans grave in the sand dune covered graveyard but with no luck.
We came upon St Enodocs church where Betjemans grave is by accident a couple of years ago. We were down on the beach at Daymer bay and walked through the little golf course next to the beach and the church is pretty much hidden until your almost on top of it. There's a few stories about when the church was buried in sand the vicar was forced to marry a local girl and a pirate who they lowered down through the roof to be married before the pirate escaped. Great little church and well worth a visit, the views from Brea hill close to the church are stunning too. Like the ruggedness of North Cornwall but Looe and Polperro are still two of my favourite places.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:43:39 »

If you like swimming with sanitary towels may I suggest Margate in Kent
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:49:07 »

We came upon St Enodocs church where Betjemans grave is by accident a couple of years ago. We were down on the beach at Daymer bay and walked through the little golf course next to the beach and the church is pretty much hidden until your almost on top of it. There's a few stories about when the church was buried in sand the vicar was forced to marry a local girl and a pirate who they lowered down through the roof to be married before the pirate escaped. Great little church and well worth a visit, the views from Brea hill close to the church are stunning too. Like the ruggedness of North Cornwall but Looe and Polperro are still two of my favourite places.

I walked around that golf course trying to find the grave, feeling like I was trespassing, and couldn't for the life of me locate the church. It certainly must be obscured from view!

I can highly reccomend a walk I did from Portreath to St Agnes along the coastal path, then you go up to Cornwall's highest point (St Agnes Beacon) where you can see from the north Cornish coast over to the south coast.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 00:04:40 »

I walked around that golf course trying to find the grave, feeling like I was trespassing, and couldn't for the life of me locate the church. It certainly must be obscured from view!

I can highly reccomend a walk I did from Portreath to St Agnes along the coastal path, then you go up to Cornwall's highest point (St Agnes Beacon) where you can see from the north Cornish coast over to the south coast.
Aggie, another one of my favourite places, we stay in St Agnes fairly often messing about on the body boards down in the cove. A great walk from St Agnes along to Chapel Porth passing a few of the old mines, I found a mobile phone in StAgnes back in the summer, I managed to get it back to the owner who happened to be the landlord of the hotel in the village, he was most grateful and insisted I had a few pints that evening on the house  Smiley
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 00:13:00 »

Walked past that hotel, think it's a Tribute (St Austell's) Ales establishment. Yeh, those derelict engine houses are hauntingly beautiful.

Some of the shafts are exposed at the top, although gridded over. If you drop a pebble you can hear it ricocheting off the wall and finally plop into the water about 7 seconds later, gives you a sense of how deep those mines were!
« Last Edit: Monday, January 7, 2013, 00:15:37 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 00:24:25 »

That's the one

http://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/pubs/a-z-of-pubs/254-st-agnes-hotel-st-agnes.html
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 08:08:05 »

Shit, how could I forget my Anglian roots. The less said about (Great) Yarmouth and Lowestoft the better - but Southwold is wonderful.
Having lived on the East Anglian coast (well 10 miles inland) for 14 years I concur with the Goat's thoughts.  Great Yarmouth is a total shit hole, Lowestoft slightly better (nice beaches) but Southwold will take some beating.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 09:12:02 »

Ryde is really nice. I've got a soft spot for the old (Eastern) side of hastings, the western side is a complete shithole though.
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 09:16:33 »

Having lived on the East Anglian coast (well 10 miles inland) for 14 years I concur with the Goat's thoughts.  Great Yarmouth is a total shit hole, Lowestoft slightly better (nice beaches) but Southwold will take some beating.

Wells-next-the-sea and Hunstanton (Old part) are also lovely seaside towns in that area. My favourite seaside place has to be Lulworth in Dorset although it's not really a town i guess.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 09:16:52 »

If you like swimming with sanitary towels may I suggest Margate in Kent

Along with Southend
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 09:23:17 »

Used to go to Frinton in Essex loads when I was a kid. Really nice old seaside town and seemed relatively untouched - didn't even have a pub until 10 years ago. Could walk a short distance up the beach to Walton pier as well.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 7, 2013, 09:36:53 »

Oxwich bay is nice and tranquil. Port Talbot.
Teignmouth is nice, also like Swanage
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: