Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best seaside towns?  (Read 6504 times)
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 22:40:57 »

Lyme Regis - really, really don't know why.  But I like it. Years since i've been but what are Ilfracombe and Brixham like now?
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 22:45:33 »

Cornwall is like a different country, filled my car up at a garage in Bodmin and the old biddy behind the counter started a conversation with me... I was thinking just let me pay and leave you old bitch, then when I thought about it ,it was quite a nice thing to do on her part.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 22:51:05 »

Polzeath (Cornwall) for me. Been going down there since I was 17, once lived in a tent there for 3 months of the summer whilst working in a surf shop, great fun.

I have a shameful lack of knowledge of alternatives though, been to a few other sea side places here and there but really must see more of our coastline. And the rest of these wonderful shores.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 22:56:24 »

Swanage....my favourite.

Clems Army!
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 22:57:34 »

Polzeath (Cornwall) for me. Been going down there since I was 17, once lived in a tent there for 3 months of the summer whilst working in a surf shop, great fun.

I have a shameful lack of knowledge of alternatives though, been to a few other sea side places here and there but really must see more of our coastline. And the rest of these wonderful shores.

Hi Mystical Goat

I took the little boat over from Padstow to Rock, intended to walk around the Camel Estuary to Polzeath but the weather got the better of me. Totally idyllic. Tried finding John Betjemans grave in the sand dune covered graveyard but with no luck.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:00:01 »

Swanage....my favourite.

Good shout, was privelaged enough to be there for the Red Arrows, dipping in and out of Ballard Down. Truly spectacular and rather frightening. It was purely by chance I stumbled on the occasion.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:02:31 »

I like south Devon.from dawlish to Dartmouth and all the lovely towns in between.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:03:19 »

Done that boat trip a few times myself, and the walk from Polzeath to Rock is very nice but one I've only attempted in good weather.

Good to see that Sharp's Doom Bar is in so many pubs now, always buy it when it's on.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:03:52 »

Tenby, Pembrokeshire.
Padstow, Cornwall.
Brighton, Sussex.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:05:13 »

Any seaside town north of Stratford upon avon with the excepcion of whitby and maybe one or two coastal villages  in the north east deserve to be shut down. The South West truly reigns supreme for idyllic coastal nooks and crannies.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:06:10 »

I'll go with Lyme Regis, plus Salcombe and St Ives. Although the later is over populated in the summer.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:06:59 »

I like south Devon.from dawlish to Dartmouth and all the lovely towns in between.

Arriba. adore that stretch of railway between Exeter and Dawlish, sheer on the seafront. Dartmouth is a charming place, and there's the steam railway from the little town across the estuary.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:12:05 »

Done that boat trip a few times myself, and the walk from Polzeath to Rock is very nice but one I've only attempted in good weather.

Good to see that Sharp's Doom Bar is in so many pubs now, always buy it when it's on.

Sharps Doom Bar, in The Sloop, St Ives, a particular lifetime favourite. Stay off The Cornish Rattler though. Bed wetting stuff.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:12:21 »

Arriba. adore that stretch of railway between Exeter and Dawlish, sheer on the seafront. Dartmouth is a charming place, and there's the steam railway from the little town across the estuary.
agreed. Along the exe estuary through starcross,then along the sea wall past dawlish and teignmouth then up the teign estuary to Newton Abbot. Very nice indeed
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, January 6, 2013, 23:17:43 »

Shit, how could I forget my Anglian roots. The less said about (Great) Yarmouth and Lowestoft the better - but Southwold is wonderful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: