Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Running  (Read 3846 times)
Saxondale

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 20:42:28 »

Not a fan myself.  Ive got a car and everything, why should I run.  However, due to a mid life crisis I am in the midst of trying to fight of death by not being a fat twat anymore.  Just a twat.  So Ive been running a couple of times as a change from fannying around in the gym. 

Im sure a few of you young people on here do silly fit stuff like this.  So has anyone got any tips on good apps or shite like that to help out.  Run trackers that sort of thing.  Im also half tempted to go in for a 10k run at some point so if anyone knows any decent ones let me know.

Also, one more for the middle agers, anyone who does running had a hernia and kept on running with it?

Never knowingly overstated.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 20:47:30 »

Get fitted for proper running trainers - Run Swindon in Old Town is great.
Get proper running kit - shirts, shorts, socks - it really does help
Get a Garmin watch
Get a goal - such as a 10k (training plans on Runners World website)
Get out the front door.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 20:50:03 »

I have the shorts.  And very sexy I look too.  Went out today and did 6k ish.  Might see how I feel and maybe do gym one day and run the next.  Garmin watch seem a good idea.

Ta.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 20:55:23 »

Ha, this is what happened to me in October.

Apps. Well I use I Garmin watch, but runkeeper is OK on the mobile.

For weight loss I found exercise alone none too successful. I had to control and change my diet and be strict about it - myfitnesspal was a godsend. Its essentially a calorie tracker.

When I started to exercise my weight loss slowed down! I've eased off the strictness of diet but the weight is still slowly decreasing, which is fine - just over 3 stone down now.

Running - you said you go to the gym and are talkign about a 10K, so I assume you are not a complete wreck like I was?!

Being a middle aged fucker I'm finding that its pretty easy to pick up niggling injuries (calf, Achilles, knee), so my advice is listen to your body and don't over do it. I was up to 4 runs a week but the body waived a little white flag after a while so I'm back down to 3 now Sad

On a disappointing aside, 3 miles in 25 minutes today. Injury and the hot spell stuffed me up, I was under 24 minutes before.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 20:55:31 »

I am sure you do.

Running shirts wick away sweat and are very beneficial. Socks help you not to get blisters. Shoes will help you not to get injured or knee problems.

Garmin Forerunner 110 is the best entry level watch (with or without Heart Rate Monitor) -  Garmin Connect allows you to upload your run data. HRM training is highly effective and allows you to really train easily with huge gains.
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 20:56:33 »

Batch - did you get fitted for your running shoes?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 21:02:41 by Bewster » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 21:04:04 »

Definitely get proper running shoes. Don't buy trainers off the shelf from a sports shop. The old town shop is ideal and they assess how you run. Good trainers will reduce the risk of injury.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 21:06:38 »

I started my fitness regime last September using the aforementioned my fitness pal and going to the gym.  Eating fuck loads of scrambled eggs, soup, porridge, popcorn and fruit really helped but obviously still needed the self restraint.

It worked a treat and I've gone from over 18st to 12st 6.  I did go down to under 12 at one point but I like to think that my body is changing from fat to muscle a bit more so that's why the weight changed.  I'm 6 ft 1 so I'm happy with the weight now.  Just the general fitness I want to improve.  

I've never really got running before.  But today I felt ok with it and felt it was something I could continue.  Not fast in anyway.  The run I did today was in 31 and a half minutes.  I guess that's not terrible as I don't do it much.

Ill have a look at that watch.  Thanks Bewster & Batch.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 21:09:08 »

@Bewster - Originally yes, Sweatshop did gate analysis. Must get it done again because I was diagnosed as an over pronator, but the tread wear seems to indicate supination. Then I looked that up on the internet so I'd best go get the experts.

Replaced shoes recently from some old Asics Keyano 12 to Brooks Adrenaline gts 13. Seems a lot better now I put some Sorbothane heel pads in. In truth my Achilles have bothered me for years. The calf and knee are more recent but predate the change in shoes.

Read an interesting study t'other day that claimed (expensive) padded trainers were a waste of money and cause more injury than some natural 'shoe' that kind of just covers the foot protecting it from the ground. But you'd need to change your running style from heel strike to accommodate.

edit: bugger, it was in the mail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

@Saxondale  - nice weight loss. 31 minutes for 6K sounds good to me as well, about the same pace I was running today but I was fucked at just under 5K
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 21:13:11 by Batch » Logged
Bewster

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 21:16:38 »

No worries. Its very addictive and the buzz after is great. Buy Runners World for help with nutrition, hydration and training plans.

Batch - I also pronate and went years without problems until the Big Adventure Warehouse sold me the wrong shoes and I had months of Achilles and Calf trouble. Went to Liam at Run Swindon who sold me some Saucony Omni that were superb and solved problems.

Shoes have a useful life of 12-18 months or 400 miles - so you need to replace regularly.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 23:33:12 »

I use Runtastic as my app, it works great and I've actually paid for the upgraded version that was £2 or so to get all the extras they chuck in (split times, speaking to you etc). The free version is fine though, you don't absolutely need anything on the premium.

MyFitnessPal as mentioned is great if you're also trying to control your diet.

As for pure running, having a target is generally a good idea- 10k races are very much in vogue and might be a decent starting point. Not neccessary if you have the determination to run alone, but I know I sack off hugely if I'm not building up to a race.
iffy

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 07:59:52 »

The Nike Running app is pretty good if you have an iphone, and is free compared to a Garmin. (I also have a garmin, but hardly use it now)

Also, get proper shoes. The barefoot running thing is interesting, but a pair of well judged Brooks are worth the investment.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 11:02:16 »

Also, one more for the middle agers, anyone who does running had a hernia and kept on running with it?

I had a hernia repair when I was 19. Sat in the day surgery unit were about 20 OAP gents and me.

Not sure how I got it, but I basically left it until it started to get a bit more uncomfortable, which was probably a year or two. Should've had it sorted sooner apparently, as at any moment they can interfere with the blood supply and really mess you up, so the doc told me. It was inguinal. If you've got one go and get it done!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: