Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: west ham at home 1993  (Read 4967 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:12:18 »

Quote from: "Rich"
didn't we get 32000 in the sixties sometimes?

Yes. For Arsenal I think. It's our record attendance. I expect Reg will tell you all about it, I'm sure he would have been there.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:35:30 »

I remember a game against Leeds in the early 90s at the County Ground when leeds filled the Stratton bank and IIRC we won 3-2, Gordon Strachan scoring two pens for them and I can't remember who scored for us?

This was my favourite game ever at the County Ground simply because the sheer size of the away following meant the town fans had to raise their game creating an amazing atmosphere.
Dirk Diggler

« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:38:35 »

32,000 was against Arsenal in the 1972 FA Cup. Alan Ball (and white boots) was playing for Arsenal.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 13:55:08 »

Quote from: "Cookie"
I remember a game against Leeds in the early 90s at the County Ground when leeds filled the Stratton bank and IIRC we won 3-2, Gordon Strachan scoring two pens for them and I can't remember who scored for us?

This was my favourite game ever at the County Ground simply because the sheer size of the away following meant the town fans had to raise their game creating an amazing atmosphere.

Large contingent of Leeds fans got in the TE as well for that game.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 16:25:08 »

Shrivenham Road was shut by 2pm that day as it was full. The following home match against West Ham I couldn't get in Shrivenham Road at 2 as it was already full up again; those were the days.

I think Steve White scored Swindon's first; Steve Foley got the 2nd early in the 2nd half with a header and Ross McLaren scored a screamer to win it for us.

I also think Lee Chapman got Leed's 2nd but could be wrong.

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 16:49:51 »

vinny jones played in that game and there was some good banter with him and the shriivy road.he picked up some of the turf and lobbed it into the stand.

shrivvy road was the best in them days infact my greatest memories of watching stfc are in that era
red macca

« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 16:58:32 »

Quote from: "arriba"
vinny jones played in that game and there was some good banter with him and the shriivy road.he picked up some of the turf and lobbed it into the stand.

shrivvy road was the best in them days infact my greatest memories of watching stfc are in that era
he started doing some press ups aswell didnt he??
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 17:04:27 »

Quote from: "Bedford Red"

Shrivenham Road was shut by 2pm that day as it was full. The following home match against West Ham I couldn't get in Shrivenham Road at 2 as it was already full up again; those were the days.

I think Steve White scored Swindon's first; Steve Foley got the 2nd early in the 2nd half with a header and Ross McLaren scored a screamer to win it for us.

I also think Lee Chapman got Leed's 2nd but could be wrong.

These were undoubtedly good games.....but it should be noted that the  South Side had its capacity halved by then....so in fact when officially full, there was still plenty of room, relative to when it was really rammed.

I suppose the last time this happened was for the Wolves LC semi in 80, when 26,000 were in.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 19:10:11 »

You're right there Reg.

I'm sure for the Leeds game when the gates were locked at about 2 the fans were chanting "let them in" and also at one point all the fans moved up just to show how much room there was in the stand.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 19:16:59 »

Quote from: "Bedford Red"
You're right there Reg.

I'm sure for the Leeds game when the gates were locked at about 2 the fans were chanting "let them in" and also at one point all the fans moved up just to show how much room there was in the stand.

I remember that now you mention it...I thought it woiuld have been top just to have got everybody into one half and leave the rest empty, but it was never going to happen.

Also in typical STFC style....a scaffold thing for TV was erected in the midle of the south side, right in front of where me and few others had been congregating after the TE became pointless because of the fences etc.

It was set up there because its previous hanging spot in the eaves of the stand had been condemned.

I seem to recall it made a decent climbing frame though at that Leeds game, when Ross McClaren  smacked in the winner.
lumpimynci

« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 20:29:51 »

Quote from: "kaufman"
my god

2 MAY West Ham United Home 1-3 17,004 Hazard

i know it was pre nationwide but fuck me good attendence

we got 18,000 ish against man u in the premiership but what was our biggest gate since the nationwide was built

weird to think it was not built in the premiership season

I think I remember that game - dog end of the season, we're in the play-offs but no real hope of an automatic spot. Hammers are going for it with a better chance than us. Dicks took the piss out of the right back, Buzzer?, all game, scored (twice?) and was a the heart of everything good about their play.

Pity he was such a fat Bristolian chav git
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 20:41:22 »

That game upset Pompey mightily, because a win for us would have seen them to the Prem, and they felt we didn't try properly......think Jim Smith may have been their manager, who would have thought at the time he'd be the man responsible for seeing O*frod to their rightful place in the non-league sector.
lumpimynci

« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 21:12:51 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
That game upset Pompey mightily, because a win for us would have seen them to the Prem, and they felt we didn't try properly......think Jim Smith may have been their manager, who would have thought at the time he'd be the man responsible for seeing O*frod to their rightful place in the non-league sector.

Shit yeah I forgot that! That was the year they missed out on auto promotion and finished 3rd but miles ahead on points of the rest of the play off teams. Then pissed it away in the semis.

Smith moaned about the unfairness of it all for months.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 21:48:19 »

Best atmosphere for me was either Brighton or City in the PO season. Having not seen many successful campaigns my good experiences of the CG are limited!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 23:18:10 »

I was lucky enough to have stood in the shrivenham road stand.

Not that I remember it very well at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: