Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: west ham at home 1993  (Read 4963 times)
kaufman

« on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 21:48:40 »

my god

2 MAY West Ham United Home 1-3 17,004 Hazard

i know it was pre nationwide but fuck me good attendence

we got 18,000 ish against man u in the premiership but what was our biggest gate since the nationwide was built

weird to think it was not built in the premiership season
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:05:49 »

i was there for that  Soapy Tit Wank  i was 9 and there with the cubs, went for a tour around the ground beforehand, went into the home and away changing rooms, cant remember much about it. i do believe that was my first ever match!

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:17:17 »

Without looking I'd guess the Bolton Semi Final in the first season might manage it?  I'm sure that game was down for our record gate receipts at the time and may still be.

edit: 15341 for that Bolton game which is the biggest since the Nationwide was developed.

I'm clearly wrong on the gate receipts, because we had over 14000 against Brighton, and as a non league game and with our prices it must beat the Bolton one, as prob the Coventry game a few seasons back in the FA Cup did, another 14000+
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, August 10, 2006, 22:57:55 »

I was there for that game too.

There was 17,574 for the Newcastle game that season. That was a good game; 1-0 down at half time and with Viveash and Paul Hunt in the side due to injuries and came back to win 2-1.  Cool
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 08:59:51 »

I was at both the Newcastle and West Ham game, great atmosphere.

The Stratton bank was crammed full and so was the Shrivenham Road terrace.
fatbury

« Reply #5 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 09:01:26 »

Brilliant matches .. I was in the graveyard Arkells in those days when I actually had a season ticket Smiley
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 09:04:42 »

And hair.
fatbury

« Reply #7 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 09:19:28 »

thats actually very true!  
land_of_bo

« Reply #8 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 09:23:00 »

Season ticket in Shrivvy road - got chucked out by the coppers after both goals against newcastle, I'd sneaked back in after getting thrown out for the first goal! The good old days when everyone near the pig pen steamed down the terrace when we scored, you lost shoes and everything!
Spencer_White

« Reply #9 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 11:57:04 »

I wasnt at either of those two 1993 games, but Ive heard people (who were there) say that the Brighton PO 1st leg atmosphere was easily as good.

Just thought id stick one in the eye of terracing nostalgia for a change.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:03:24 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
I wasnt at either of those two 1993 games, but Ive heard people (who were there) say that the Brighton PO 1st leg atmosphere was easily as good.

Just thought id stick one in the eye of terracing nostalgia for a change.

It's all a matter of opinion I guess, but I would say the atmosphere for that Newcastle game was the best I have ever experienced - It was absolutely electric (cliche I know, but true nonetheless) I would say the home play off game v Tranmere also beats the Brighton game in that respect.

It was definitely the best atmosphere in 'modern' times though no doubt.
land_of_bo

« Reply #11 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:06:32 »

Yeah I was at all those games...Newcastle and Tranmere were the best - probably Newcastle because of the endless shit hurled at Andy Cole  
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:09:10 »

didn't we get 32000 in the sixties sometimes?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:10:38 »

Quote from: "land_of_bo"
Yeah I was at all those games...Newcastle and Tranmere were the best - probably Newcastle because of the endless shit hurled at Andy Cole  

It was quite a good game as well which helped:shock:

I've just remembered something - On the bench that day for Newcastle was some shit hot full back they had paid a shed load of money to Barnsley for - a certain Mark Robinson. Yes that Mark Robinson who we then paid 600k for!

Why??? :?
Doore

« Reply #14 on: Friday, August 11, 2006, 12:12:18 »

Yeah, but thats a different era, all crowds were bigger back in the 60s (in general, I'm sure there are exceptions.)  To me, the best atmosphere I have experienced since my first game in 1991 (home to Blackburn) was the Tranmere Playoff First Leg.  I'm sure that this was aided by the cracking start in that game though!  Happy memories.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: