Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How about this for a fixture pile up  (Read 7961 times)
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:10:32 »

You may have heard of Guernsey FC. They formed a team a couple of years' back and in their inaugural season in the English Pyramid they charged to the Combined Counties League Division One title. Last week they lost at home in the 1st leg of their FA Vase semi final against Spennymoor 3-1 infront of 4,290 at a packed Footes Lane Stadium. The secomd leg is this Saturday in the north east. I understand that they pay all the travel expenses of their visitors, who mainly hail from the hinterlands of London and the Surrey area (I guess the proximity of Heathrow was essential in the football league deciding which league they would be assigned to).

Anyhow, getting to the point. As a result of their FA Trophy commitments, and to a much greater degree the apalling state of their pitch through these unseasonal conditions, they've suffered a whole host of postponements. Check out their fixture schedule for the remainder of the season!!!

http://www.guernseyfc.com/matches-fixtures-and-results

« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:12:43 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:15:05 »

Similar to Bridgwater Town FC who I saw on Points West last week discussing their situation... http://www.bridgwatertownfc-1984.co.uk/view_event.php?pid=18

#VivaKenBarlow!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:27:57 »

They've got excellent home support, 1000+ for almost every home game is unbelievable for that level. There are teams in the Conference who would love that sort of support.
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:40:30 »

Similar to Bridgwater Town FC who I saw on Points West last week discussing their situation... http://www.bridgwatertownfc-1984.co.uk/view_event.php?pid=18

Think of all the days off these part time players are going to have to take as well. They're going to need very understanding employers! I think the Football Association are loathe to extend the length of the season however exceptional the circumstances.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:52:38 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:51:13 »

They've got excellent home support, 1000+ for almost every home game is unbelievable for that level. There are teams in the Conference who would love that sort of support.

Guernsey FC are clearly a team going places. Wouldn't be surprised that with the financial backing they're enjoying if they experience successive promotions right the way up to the Conference. This ridiculous fixture schedule has the immediate potential to put a spanner in the works though.

http://www.combinedcountiesleague.co.uk/premtable.htm

Preview of FA Trophy (final at Wembley is the carrot dangling for the winners) on Late Kick-Off North East (Spennymoor's boss neglects to mention that all his team's expenses will be covered by Guernsey (flights and two nights' accomodation).

« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 15:21:55 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 14:57:17 »

The team in 7th sound fun.

Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 18:31:40 »

Breaking news. Matt Le Tissier to resurrect career at Guernsey FC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22052801

Since this thread started they lost the FA Vase semi over two legs to a very strong Spennymoor side, who now face the mighty Tunbridge Wells at Wembley. Won their opening three games in this almightily congested April fixture schedule, including 2-0 against South Park yesterday.

http://www.guernseyfc.com/matches-fixtures-and-results
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 18:37:57 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 19:03:02 »

For some reason I want Guernsey to win that league! 20 points behind with 9 games in hand on the top team...Do'able!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 19:53:19 »

Promotion can only be gained from the division by the title winners so it's imperative for them that they do indeed  maximise on these games in hand. I would like to see them make the football league in a few years time - and with average crowds of around 1,000, when most crowds at that level do well to scrape 50, there's clearly been a real groundswell behind the Island's new footballing entity. It will become the most exotic domestic away day. Can you imagine the piss-up on the ferry over from Weymouth  Pint
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 20:10:03 »

I believe they will be permitted to enter the FA Cup next season.

Now that would be a proper away draw if they could get to the first round Smiley

PS.  They are currently drawing 1-1 with Cove (after 60mins) who are the team just above them in the league
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 20:22:55 »

Seems like another Truro City to me. Weren't they supposed to have loads of backing to get to the FL? Whatever happened to them? I guess Guernsey are getting the crowds which is the big factor in any potential rise. That's what saw AFCW rise through the leagues.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 20:46:47 »

Seems like another Truro City to me. Weren't they supposed to have loads of backing to get to the FL? Whatever happened to them? I guess Guernsey are getting the crowds which is the big factor in any potential rise. That's what saw AFCW rise through the leagues.
Their backer (Truro) left and took over Plymouth - sound familiar?  Banbury>Swindon!!!
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 20:48:46 »

Truro got relegated last weekend from the Blue Square South, in some part due to a hefty points deduction. I think what did for them was that Kevin Heany - their multi millionaire sugar daddy - was declared bankrupt after his property empire across Cornwall collapsed. I think at best their average crowds were hovering around 500, and despite being the best prospect Cornwall has ever had of boasting a Conference level standard or beyond team, the local interest never materialised.

I believe Guernsey FC's venture is being generously backed by Sporting Bet, who are based on the Island for tax purposes. I suppose that has its dangers, especially when you consider that only this week betting firm Blue Square have been rescued by Betfair after posting massive losses. That said, with crowds averaging 1,000, and a phenomenal 4,200 in attendence at Footes Lane against Spennymoor in the FA Trophy semi-final (a sign of the voracious appetite of the local populace for a good pedigree of football), they're well capable of covering visiting teams' expenses - air fares and accomodation etc.

This is a team to watch. And when it happens, just remember, Dosser knew  Cool
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 20:57:22 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 20:58:48 »

Lost 2-1 tonight, and their unbeaten home record this season...they get a chance to bounceback tomorrow though, home game at 1.30!!!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 21:11:30 »

Eek They can't afford to be dropping points like this, particularly as top of the table Egham thumped Farnham 4-0 this afternoon. It's all coming crashing down Crying

BTW, how did you know the score in-running?
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 21:14:59 by Dostoyevsky » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: