Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Angry Music  (Read 4943 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:08:53 »

Oh no, kill me now. I just found my Marilyn Manson album.

:|
flammableBen

« Reply #16 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:14:27 »

We've all got bad musical tastes from our teenage years which trouble us to this day.

I went through a stage of liking.... err shit I've forgotten their name... proper I'm depressed American rock. Fucking woefull anyway it was. But I was young you have to forgive yourself.

It's when you hit 18+ and you're still listening to that shit you have to worry. No offence to Fred and his love of Nickleback. Although I suppose you can forgive people who are 35+ for their bad taste in music. Your brain stops working after 30. It's only a matter of time before the decay properly sets in.

I remember the first time that I met Reg he seemed to like the more crazy bits of Luna-Loop (possibly what they were called, I can't remember) playing the Beehive. They were quite fun.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:17:14 »

The only stuff from my teenage years that I really still listen to regularly is Nirvana.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:23:54 »

alanis morrisette
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:24:52 »

Are you taking the piss arriba?  Cheesy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:25:47 »

she's ace imo.well at least she was
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:27:13 »

slash slash slash those wrists
flammableBen

« Reply #22 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:33:20 »

I went through the classic teenage phase of loving Nirvana, I think everybody does. I can understand why people continue to listen to them, but for me it's something I completely associate with being about 14/15/16. It might be a case of overlistening, I'm not sure. But I haven't listened to any Nirvana on purpose for at least 5 or 6 years.

I think I've just moved on in my musical appreciation. Music was pretty bleak in England between around 1998 and 2003/04, which is also why I forgive myself for grasping at crappy American bands. Brit-pop hand died, Oasis had turned shit and there was fuck all else which was easily accessible.

We're getting towards a similar point now. We had a sort of revival of the same sort of thing as the britpop era in late 03/ early 04. Although it was called indie and with bands like Franz Ferdinand (=pulp), Kaiser Chiefs (=Oasis/Blur) and Kasabian (=Blur/Stoneroses). Although that's all gone to shit over the last few years, all the bands started to sound the same becasue the record companies play it safe. So everybody gets bored.

I suppose it runs in cycles. We had the whole manchester scene in the late 80's early 90's, then mid-late nineties Oasis, Blur, Pulp etc turned up. Then we had the aforementioned indie revival.

What with the interweb and the ease it brings to distributing music, all those things should break down. I suppose it has it's plus points in that it takes some power away from the record labels who inevitably want to play it safe for their shareholders. But it also means that bands are losing a platform to get themselves heard by people other than the ones they're aiming at. I suppose it's now the job of the media, particularly radio, to make sure that the best bands/groups/rappers/Dj's/etc. get showcased to people who wouldn't normally go out of their way to listen to that sort of music.

I've been rambling again haven't I?
STFC Village

« Reply #23 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 21:33:25 »

Anything by System Of A Down, with a side helping of Gallows
sonic youth

« Reply #24 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 22:32:24 »

suicide file, killwhitneydead, nine inch nails.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #25 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 22:59:05 »

I read your ramble Ben. I've been reading Guitarist magazine over the last 2 days and they seem to recommend a few bands who play more classic rock rather than the same old indie stuff we've been plagued with recently. I'll have to investigate further and find out if any of these bands are any good.
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 23:00:04 »

I've mellowed down a bit, I'm listening to some Foo Fighters at the moment.
flammableBen

« Reply #27 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 23:10:06 »

No offence Sam, it's not really your fault, but the Foo Fighters are fucking shit. I know that several others will be offended, I remember having this discussion with Village back in the day a few years ago. When we used to stay up and watch knightmare together. That was ace Village, and I want you to know that I miss you.xxx

Anyhoo. The Foo Fighters are like if you get a colouring book, and the colouring in was the music. Dull.
STFC Village

« Reply #28 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 23:12:21 »

:kisskiss:
flammableBen

« Reply #29 on: Friday, April 11, 2008, 23:22:52 »

Quote from: "STFC Village"
:kisskiss:

I've been downloading loads of knightmare recently. I think I managed nearly 30 episodes in a day and a half. Fucking ace stuff. I've got as far as series 3 now. I've seen two wins.

I don't think there are any wins in series 3, but they mix the dungeon up a bit so it's still interesting.

Series 4+ has quite a lot of wins which ruins it a bit. The joy of the early series is that it's exciting if anybody gets anywhere.

Eitherhoo, Knightmare is fucking ace.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: