Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Mansfield pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 37945 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:19:18 »

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that. Tense even game and Mansfield looked good.
Second half tactical master class from Garner and suddenly some spaces started to appear.
The goal simply superb counter attacking football with a sublime cross from Williams and a bullet finish from Simpson. The instant roar not heard for a long time. Decent crowd again.

Could have thrown that away with repetitive unnecessary fouls, played into the refs hands.
Cracking result which makes the weekend. On to Stevenage now.
Finally, made up for Simpson. Reed and Conroy immense with Wollacott once again so reliable.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:20:31 »

Is it down to me to complain about the ref again?  Free kick if a Mansfield player had his feelings hurt.  Wrestle us to the ground, go through the back of us, elbow and headbutt our player again and again - play on.  Somehow 7 minutes of stoppage time.

In short I was not impressed with him.

But then again the Mansfield fans probably were not either.
I thought the ref had a good game for the first 60.  He was letting a fair bit go, but consistently for both sides.

But I shared your view for the remaining 30 - or 37 rather! - when he continued to let a fair bit go from Mansfield including even wrestling but then chose to blow up every scrappy tussle or borderline-late-ish foot in initiated by us.  I wondered if he was feeling guilty about the mistake over the goal (which to be fair was a shocker even if mainly the assistant ref's fault)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:23:29 »

They see it at pitch level. I can see why they’d miss it.
Lino would have Crichlow & the Mansfield player in his eye line. Whilst trying to also watch the lines for offside...

VAR would have given it

VAR didn’t give it thus irrelevant.
Not seen any evidence to say it crossed the line. Unless somebody can prove otherwise the officials clearly thought they had called it right and that’s what counts.
Tense affair and another team played that will be in the top half of the table.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:29:41 »

Is it me but I wasn't especially impressed by Mansfield.  They set up well and pressured us bringing the ball out.  Admirable tactics and resolve.  Clough clearly edged Garner imo.  But they had plenty of attacking opportunities and made very little of it.  They were however missing players, and I suspect that with VAR and average luck they would have emerged victorious.  So I agree top half is a fair bet.

Loved the spirit in Town and, as some have observed, it wasn't a poor defensive performance at all.  Wollacott does give th defence a degree of confidence.  My player of the season thus far.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:31:41 »

Another very enjoyable day out.  Mansfield's followers will no doubt feel that they woz robbed.

Nothing to see here
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:32:24 »

VAR didn’t give it thus irrelevant.
Not seen any evidence to say it crossed the line. Unless somebody can prove otherwise the officials clearly thought they had called it right and that’s what counts.
Tense affair and another team played that will be in the top half of the table.

I saw it cross the line.

Is it me but I wasn't especially impressed by Mansfield.  They set up well and pressured us bringing the ball out.  Admirable tactics and resolve.  Clough clearly edged Garner imo.  But they had plenty of attacking opportunities and made very little of it.  They were however missing players, and I suspect that with VAR and average luck they would have emerged victorious.  So I agree top half is a fair bet.

Loved the spirit in Town and, as some have observed, it wasn't a poor defensive performance at all.  Wollacott does give th defence a degree of confidence.  My player of the season thus far.

I felt we played ourselves into trouble more than Mansfield carved us open.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:39:33 »

Mansfield will moan about whether a goal should have been given but they missed a 2 on 1 in the second half and that cost them the point or maybe 3.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:48:08 »

What was the attendance? Didn’t hear it in the DRS.

The DRS p.a was worse than ever today. Surely it can’t be that difficult to fix?!

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:53:32 »

Sitting in the DRS offered an interesting change from the TEF. It was very quiet though (as it was around the rest of the CG this week).

Nothing to see here
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 18:56:35 »

The DRS p.a was worse than ever today. Surely it can’t be that difficult to fix?!

Ironically, the only thing I heard from the PA today was when they said they were doing the roll call again because people in the DRS didn’t hear it last week.
Then didn’t hear if they did or not.  Doh
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 19:01:29 »

Ok another note, Grant was very poor today wasn’t he?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 19:04:31 »

Most of today's attendances Oxfords is laughable and Huddersfields unbelievable😀

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fixtures/_/date/20210828

So, give no fucks
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 19:05:02 »

I like the way we play the ball out of the back.  But Mansfield closed us down hard from the get go.  When we were bringing it out.  Slowly.  And then again in the middle of the park.  I don't think we need to abandon our approach against sides like Mansfield but we need the flexibility to be able to mix it up.  Continue as planned, because we believe in it - but also short spells where Wollacott or Conroy simply play long to Simpson with the likes of Payne and AN Otherspeeding up behind for any misplaced defensive headers or loose balls resulting from Simpson tussling with defenders.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 19:15:55 »

If we’re going 4231 there is lots of competition for those 3 attacking midfield slots.
Payne, KKH, Gladwin, McKirdy, Williams, Iandolo(?)

On current form Gladwin is definitely not in the top 3.

We've played 343/5221 last 2 games.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Saturday, August 28, 2021, 19:29:23 »

FT 1-0!

great ugly win.

They and Salford can form a support group.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 ... 28   Go Up
Print
Jump to: