Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Official Exeter vs. Swindon Matchday Thread  (Read 26202 times)
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 09:38:29 »

This is the only aspect of Fittons reign that doesn't impress me.

They took over and generated great excitement. Quashed instantaneously by dithering then appointing Malpas.

Malpas unfortunately wasn't up to it and got the chop. We drifted until Wilson was appointed. In my book this was still a great appointment. Last seasons memories will stay with me until I die/get dementia.

Then for reasons I don't understand Wilson was chopped after the transfer window slammed shut. Now I would not have sacked Wilson either, so I'm not being critical of that. But the timing was bloody off. And on the face of it Paul Hart has a great record at short term survival. But his hands were tied as there was no time to get into the transfer market.

From here it becomes more of a personal opinion. I don't think Hart is the man for division 4. You could argue that we can't judge him on 6 games. True but it is his style of play that worries me.

And so do we trust Mr F to get it right if we assume it isn't Hart?

Which ever manager we get its no guarantee we'll come back. My opinion is we need a buzz, a united front to lead us to battle next year. We can achieve this with

a: A big name like the Wise/Poyet combo or a player/manager.
b. A proven experienced manager like Paul Sturrock. Good football no. Effective football yes. Obviously we need to see who is available/poachable.

But as Reg pointed out before, finances may dictate otherwise. I know deep down we must never allow ourselves to spend money we haven't got in an unsustainable way. Which is why I fear we'll end up with Paul Trollope. And he won't unite the fans, create the buzz or get the players we need.

Fitton is a good business man without question and I suspect he has had to pay a reasonable sum for Paul Hart, who it is reported is only signed until end of season. Presumably as we are now heading out of the division this will be reviewed. Fitton next choice has to 100% right otherwise we will be down for a while....there will be a choice of managers available for sure. If it were me I would go for someone who`s connections with clubs in leagues above us are sound...IF we can get off to a reasonable start then fans will return. Biggest problem by far is to somehow stop this dismal run... just cant see a win coming....

Bathtime
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:13:20 »

If it were me I would go for someone who`s connections with clubs in leagues above us are sound

Don't see the point in that, i dont want us getting in a few youngsters on loan for a league 2 campaign they wont have the bottle.  I want a manager who has been there and done that in League 2, who knows the type of players to success in that league, namely old school style players who are nothing flash but have plenty of games under their belt at that level.  We need to turn into any ugly no nonsense team who dont take any shit every week.  Effective but not pretty.

Last night was concerning for me in that i wasnt that bothered we lost, i think i gave up realistic hope a month or so ago.  Lets just get the season over. 

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:27:13 »

the fact that trollope is watching our games regularly tells us what we need to know regarding the next manager.
at least he will have had a look at the squad in preparation.
the only way it wont be him is if dismal season ticket sales,or a change of heart(no not hart)on fittons part sees him look elsewhere.
Dirk Diggler

« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:28:43 »

I want a manager who has been there and done that in League 2, who knows the type of players to success in that league, namely old school style players who are nothing flash but have plenty of games under their belt at that level.    

What you are asking for there is Martin Allen, who I certainly would have advocated. And yes I am aware that he is now at Barnet
Abrahammer

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:33:09 »

What you are asking for there is Martin Allen, who I certainly would have advocated. And yes I am aware that he is now at Barnet

Yea he might be a dick but you would imagine he won't tollerate anything but 100% out of his players week in week out.  Dont know how long his contract is at Barnet but i wouldnt have any problem with him either.

Ignore
« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:35:34 »

martin allen was my choice weeks ago.
if he keeps barnet up then he will have proved his worth.
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:36:22 »

The whole Paul Trollope thing is slightly concerning for me not necessarily because of his managerial ability but because like others have said it just wouldn't inspire the fans at all and in order to get off to a good start in league 2 next year it'll help massivley to have a fully enthused fan-base.
That begs the question what would be the best option....

Big name retiring Prem player in the mould of Macari, Hoddle, Ardiles, McMahon etc?
A former 'hero' returning ... Calderwood, Taylor, Nijholt(?) etc?
Try to poach a successful lower league boss, someone like Tisdale from Exeter?
Stick with Hart / McParland as is?
Make McParland boss and move Hart to 'Director of Football'?
Abrahammer

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:41:58 »

If we succeeded in poaching Tisdall for example, I’d seriously question his mental state based of the ludicrous decision to leave Exeter to drop down a league to manage us.
Panda Paws

« Reply #263 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:48:35 »

Andy Scott for me
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:50:24 »

Paul Buckle?
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:54:36 »

Paul Buckle?

If they don't go up he'd be a good shout. Decent young manager imagine he'd jump at the chance to prove himself at a different club with more resources.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:56:23 »

I'd like to see Richard Money in charge.

Did a good job with Walsall getting them promoted from league 2.  He resigned the following season when the club could no longer make the playoffs in league 1.  They were doing pretty well untill January when they sold a couple of their best players to Coventry.  

He did a good job at Luton too.  Fair enough some may argue Luton are the biggest club in conference and should win the league by a mile, but the financial shit they were in, and 2 sucessive relegations must have had a big impact on the team.

Hes got a good track record in the lower leagues, and if we put a bit of money behind him, i reckon he could get us promoted from league 2 and then top 10 finish in league 1 the year after.
Dirk Diggler

« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:59:06 »

If we succeeded in poaching Tisdall for example, I’d seriously question his mental state based of the ludicrous decision to leave Exeter to drop down a league to manage us.

Ditto Colin Calderwood
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:59:20 »

The whole Paul Trollope thing is slightly concerning for me not necessarily because of his managerial ability but because like others have said it just wouldn't inspire the fans at all and in order to get off to a good start in league 2 next year it'll help massivley to have a fully enthused fan-base.

Big name retiring Prem player in the mould of Macari, Hoddle, Ardiles, McMahon etc?

Tisdale would not come, I agree.  But I do like the idea of attracting a young manager with a track record in League 2.  Probably represents our most realistic hope of bouncing back quickly.

Graham Westley (Stevenage) or Paul Buckle (Torquay) would be near the top of my list.

Edit: didn't see that Buckle had already been mentioned above.  Seems a popular choice!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 12:32:12 »

I would imagine that Trollope is here watching the game, he is a local lad and has history to the club and is probably just coming to watch the games with no hidden agenda, he is not really the type of manager we'd need for next season
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: