Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 29   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crewe Alexandra v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 12569 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 17:02:51 »

Let’s not let any exciting transfer news get in the way of a uninspiring league fixture.

Crewe Alexandra 3 Swindon Town 1 att: 4,278 (350 orange hats)

So, give no fucks
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 17:40:37 »

2-0 Crewe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 17:57:41 »

Still feeling utterly "meh" about the club currently, a good result against a form team and maybe that would help me get back into all things STFC again.

They looked a decent unit earlier in the season at home and they won at Mansfield last week and sit in 5th place in the table unbeaten in the last 3 games. They have 3 players on 9 goals apeice in Nevitt, Long and Baker Richardson and ex Town target Demetriou on 7 goals from his CB position.

We have just 7 wins from 23 games played at Gresty Road, and just 1 win and 4 defeats in the last 5 meetings there (3 wins from the last 14).

They have ex Town loanee Charlie Colkett there.

Crewe Alexandra 2 Swindon Town 0 att: 4,289 (315 bored Town fans there)

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 18:08:19 »

Quote from: Crewe Fan pre match write up
Well, I've read lots of people's opinions and it seems we're guaranteed a win against Swindon. After all, they've just lost the scorers of the vast majority of their goals, haven't they? However, people need to remember how tired and dilapidated the Alex are at the moment.

Consensus seems to suggest that Leigh won't be starting and so it will be the same people who struggled valiantly to win in the last two games. Now, a fantastic team spirit is one thing but the body can only take so much and pretty soon some of those bodies are going to start breaking down, perhaps into longer-term injuries.

At least, for this match, there will be 2 'new' bodies on the bench - both midfielders, in Leigh and Colkett so, perhaps, someone can have a rest after 60 or 70 minutes.

What formation will we play? It has been suggested we revert to 4-3-3 with Offord continuing to push into the midfield. If that was the case, who would the front 3 be? Obviously, if fit, Long is an automatic starter. But then we have two either/ors, Tracey or Rowe and CBR or Nev.

In terms of the former pair, it has to be said that Tracey has been a deadweight recently. He's lost either inclination or confidence, possibly both to beat his man. However, the only way to get those things back is by putting him into the team with a firm instruction to beat the fullback. Rowe, on the other hand, rarely does the job of an outright winger and sometimes 'disappears' further back. Yet Rowe, when he tries it, has got a shot on him and could score.

As for the other pair, CBR has been brilliant recently, but at the other end of the pitch. He has been carrying out his defensive duties like a natural. Unfortunately the same can't be said up front. He must be having a few restless nights about his striking performance against Mansfield having wasted 3 good chances including one sitter.
Nev, in contrast, is a workhorse all over the pitch, who, while technically not outstanding, always puts in a shift.

So, for Swindon, against my gut feeling, I would start with Tracey with instructions to pressure their (obviously weak) defence from the off. As I don't expect the pressures of the Bradford and Mansfield games on our defence, I would start with Nev.

Score? Well, I don't expect to get back to our scoring rhythm of earlier in the season but I do hope we can manage a couple. I don't expect a clean sheet though.

So a 2-1 win.
Crewe preview with better spacing so you can read it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 18:22:08 »

1-1 draw with Glatzel scoring off the bench, which at long last should look much stronger. Caveat - assumes paperwork on signings completed in time and FBT/RHM fit to return

Team: (352) Ward Hutton Dokes Brewitt FBT Kakolo Kinsella Khan Devoy Shade Austin
Subs: Bycroft Genesini Minturn McEachran Cain RHM Glatzel
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 18:39:29 »

4-1 the minor railway town.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 18:54:48 »

With everyone(?) fit and new signing boost, I can't see past a win

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 20:37:32 »

I’m going tomorrow. Fully expect a loss but should be a good day out with Wobbly Bob et al.  Pint
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 20:43:55 »

I’m going tomorrow. Fully expect a loss but should be a good day out with Wobbly Bob et al.  Pint

See you there for another Chapter of relentless misery.
🍺⚽️
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 12, 2024, 22:35:18 »

Both back on the grass

* IMG_0298.jpeg (284.86 KB, 1213x921 - viewed 138 times.)
cdakev

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 13, 2024, 07:48:28 »

Crewe 2 Swindon 3.

The revolution starts today.

COYR
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 13, 2024, 09:12:15 »

It's come to my attention (I read the club Tweet) that Gresty Road is now called the 'Mornflake Stadium' which is one of the best-worst stadium names I've seen. I'm now imagining a stadium entirely filled with organic cornflakes.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 13, 2024, 09:19:18 »

I always liked Kit Kat Crescent at York City
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 13, 2024, 09:25:54 »

Easy win for Crewe, 3-0
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 13, 2024, 10:08:55 »

See you there for another Chapter of relentless misery.
🍺⚽️
Yes see you there pal!
It's come to my attention (I read the club Tweet) that Gresty Road is now called the 'Mornflake Stadium' which is one of the best-worst stadium names I've seen. I'm now imagining a stadium entirely filled with organic cornflakes.
I agree this is a shocker. “Flake” is one of those words that’s just got unpleasant connotations a bit like “crust” and similar words. Wouldn’t be overly happy to have those words as an addendum to the County Ground name.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 29   Go Up
Print
Jump to: