Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kembrey Inn, Swindon  (Read 8299 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 3, 2016, 22:58:32 »

It's the question that only gets asked once. "have you been to nando's before?" No one with any sense hears it a second time.
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 07:14:01 »

It might just be me, but just about every chain pub I know of had gone down the pan in terms of food; it always seems to be reheated rubbish that takes an hour or more to arrive. It's reached the point that I won't go to a chain pub for good.

I have family who work in the pub trade and I'm told that even gastropubs are struggling to recruit chefs. These things are probably related.

"Absolute Calamity!"
02hodgsol

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 14:17:34 »

I work in the hospitality industry, and it really pisses me off this kind of stuff.
All these chain places are basically corporate factory lines with big bosses thinking they know the best way to make a quick buck (by buying in cheap reheat-able food) and not giving too hoots about the guests that they get money from.
It embarrasses me that the industry is going this way.

There are plenty of nice restaurants out there, but they are generally the privately owned ones, with no restrictions on menu's, suppliers and other factors.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 15:00:07 »

Problem is that a lot of chain places, like harvester, are very child friendly. Nowadays it's very difficult to find child friendly pubs and restaurants.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 15:20:34 »

Problem is that a lot of chain places, like harvester, are very child friendly. Nowadays it's very difficult to find child friendly pubs and restaurants.
Have never been there but I am told that the new place past Aldi and David Lloyd at the - Robins Farm - has a separate area for adults only and one for children so you have a choice.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #20 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 15:24:16 »

White Hart in Stratton is child friendly and decent
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 15:35:25 »

Chain pub with reasonable service? Toby Carvery. Problem with the wait for your dinner? Should have got off of your arse and up to the counter sooner Cheesy
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 15:42:13 »

Surely there are more child friendly pubs than ever before?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 15:55:05 »

White Hart in Stratton is child friendly and decent

Yep. I used to drink in there when I was a kid at school, decent cheese and onion rolls at lunchtime.
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #24 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 17:36:57 »

When we're in town the wife drops me off for the football i tend to meet her afterwards for a few ales and food at the Dockle Farmhouse. Only ever had one or two unpleasant visits but on the whole find it ok.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 18:29:39 »

Yep. I used to drink in there when I was a kid at school, decent cheese and onion rolls at lunchtime.
It may have changed a little since then. There's whole countries that no longer exist since then!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 18:35:30 »

It may have changed a little since then. There's whole countries that no longer exist since then!

Bizarrely, I suppose tbf 10 years ago now, I had a nice divorcee who lived in Covingham, she wasn't very adventurous, but was happy to go to her localish pub, The White Hart. I swear it had changed little in 40 odd year, apart from serving food rather than pickled eggs, and the dart board was not to be found.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 19:59:01 »

Surely there are more child friendly pubs than ever before?

A lot do provide a child's menu but not necisarily friendly. For example, crayons and paper can be a life saver for keeping them occupied. Luckily, ours are well behaved but if we go out with other families it is quite frustrating.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 20:06:00 »

A lot do provide a child's menu but not necisarily friendly. For example, crayons and paper can be a life saver for keeping them occupied. Luckily, ours are well behaved but if we go out with other families it is quite frustrating.

I don't understand why people don't bring their own? My parents used to take me out to our local a fair bit when I was a kid but wouldn't dream of doing it without giving me something to keep me quiet. Expecting others to provide it for you seems kind of shitty.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, April 4, 2016, 20:22:43 »

If it's a child friendly place you would expect the establishment to like having kids?

A prime example on how to do it well is Pizza Express. They provide colouring and stickers.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: