Poll
Question: Which Way Are You Voting
In - 91 (62.8%)
Out - 44 (30.3%)
Shake It All About - 10 (6.9%)
Total Voters: 131

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 70999 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 00:40:32 »

Like understanding how to use an apostrophe. Index's? What?

I think we need to feel the love over the coming days Ells. Falling out over the odd misplaced apostrophe isn't going to help.
Amir

« Reply #331 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 01:52:12 »

Chalkie's Shorts has said pretty much exactly how I feel about it. I wanted remain to win because of the immediate effect on the pound, purely for selfish reasons, but I would have voted leave if I lived in England. I also would have preferred to reform the EU from the inside, if I thought that was at all possible. I think we may have done the rest of the EU a massive favour today in reigning in overzealous expansionism.

The reaction to people who voted leave has made me feel stronger about it since the result. Both sides have acted terribly the whole way through, but it winds me up that it can't be seen as a considered opinion or about anything other than immigration. Now certainly isn't the time to bicker, we need to forge ahead and see what we can make out of our future. I think it's great that people voted for the unknown rather than being scared off, and I really believe it can be made to work.
Amir

« Reply #332 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 01:57:49 »

I do however feel truly sorry for anyone who is effected by where they I chosen to live, or with whom. I hope that the issue of movement is sorted quickly, and that there isn't too much nose cutting off by the EU to try and dissuade others from leaving.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 03:03:55 »

People in many other countries in the EU would vote the same way given the choice - it's not just us 'little Englanders'.

I voted out because I believe in the country and its people to stand on its own 2 feet - I voted not to join in the 70s and haven't changed my opinion since.

The alternative, apart from not voting at all, was to vote for something I didn't believe in - which, if most of the remain voters were honest, neither do they.

michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 05:29:11 »

Interesting that Boris is now in no rush to trigger the irreversible mechanics of the 'Brexit'. Why would that be?

He said early on in the campaign that we should vote to leave, to then negotiate a better deal.

He has also, as recently as February, been quoted as basically being a fan of the EU.

🤔
REDBUCK

« Reply #335 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 06:41:45 »

Whose up for another vote in 2-5 years time once all the main negotiations are done and it's presented to the
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 06:53:36 »

Quote from: Reg Smeeton
Like understanding how to use an apostrophe. Index's? What?
I think we need to feel the love over the coming days Ells. Falling out over the odd misplaced apostrophe isn't going to help.

agreed, I think there is a fairly high number of graduates on here, most obtained before Blair turned your local Tesco one stop into a university too...

I've heard many a stupid argument from people in the area for voting remain. My own mother for a start.

But none of that matters. It's done. Reasons only become relevant if voting out didn't ultimately achieve what the people ego voted out want it to.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 06:54:09 »

Quote from: REDBUCK
Whose up for another vote in 2-5 years time once all the main negotiations are done and it's presented to the

well yes, not going to happen though.
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #338 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 07:01:31 »

"BUT THEY ARENT ELECTED"

is among the stupidest fucking arguments for leaving. But whatever floats your boat, you're going to lose.
No it isn't,  far from it.
They may be elected in their country but the corrupt EU hierarchy who elect between themselves isn't democratic. The EU stinks of corruption,  it's as crooked as FIFA
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 07:53:01 »

I just have a strong feeling that EU exit is still not a done deal.  I hear all the calls to 'accept the result' and move on, but it's difficult to do that with the margin so close and the vote so split geographically and demographically (in terms of voter age).

My strong feeling is that this still has some way to run.  Could play out in any number of ways.  When the penny starts to drop...and the reality of (for example) a Johnson/Gove 'dream team' sets in, the prospect of refugee camps moving across the water to the Kent coast etc., and the now very real prospect of the UK fragmenting all together.  All it would take is for a movement to build - supported by one of the existing political parties or not - and the course of action will start not to look as clear cut as it does now.

I am torn.  I do accept the democratic validity of the vote, but also think that the foundations the majority for Brexit were built on are shaky and that we could find support for exit dipping back below 50% before too long.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 08:06:04 »

I just have a strong feeling that EU exit is still not a done deal.  I hear all the calls to 'accept the result' and move on, but it's difficult to do that with the margin so close and the vote so split geographically and demographically (in terms of voter age).

My strong feeling is that this still has some way to run.  Could play out in any number of ways.  When the penny starts to drop...and the reality of (for example) a Johnson/Gove 'dream team' sets in, the prospect of refugee camps moving across the water to the Kent coast etc., and the now very real prospect of the UK fragmenting all together.  All it would take is for a movement to build - supported by one of the existing political parties or not - and the course of action will start not to look as clear cut as it does now.

I am torn.  I do accept the democratic validity of the vote, but also think that the foundations the majority for Brexit were built on are shaky and that we could find support for exit dipping back below 50% before too long.

Distinctly possible. It didn't take long yesterday for the word "If" to start cropping up in interviews. There are a lot of twists turns and backtracks to come over the following months.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 08:21:32 »

But how are you going to judge whether the support has dipped below 50% without another referendum.

The pollsters, yet again, were fucking useless. Why do they bother and why does anybody take any notice of them.

What's done now is done. The EU want to start divorce proceedings straight away
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 08:53:16 »

The pollsters, yet again, were fucking useless. Why do they bother and why does anybody take any notice of them.
Correct, mid-morning on Thursday No. 10 were actually briefing friendly news outlets and the cabinet that their polls indicated that Remain had won - so much for their pollsters!!  Cameron and Osborne fought a terrible campaign, Project Fear didn't quite work out for them!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 09:06:00 »

Had the margin been in say the 10's of thousands then yes...but the die is cast. 

The immediate danger aside from recession, is a clunking lurch to the right, as there will be a lot of leavers who'll feel betrayed when they realise immigration won't be noticably different.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 09:16:48 »

Yep to all that.

We're at a critical junction.  My biggest concern is that I simply do not trust Johnson, Gove et al to take the best decisions in the near future.

I feel like I belong somewhere else at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: