Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 50096 times)
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:10:13 »

Yes Chalkie they are honouring their contracts - who wouldn't on the sort of wages they are on - but they do not want to be at the club, so why play them?  Caddis priced himself out of a move to Blackpool and we haven't exactly been knocked over with takers for the other two, probably due to the massive contracts they were given by Wray and co.

So another alternative might be that they are offered new contracts that we can afford to replace their existing (allegedly) too expensive contracts. Then at least we'd have the option of playing them if it suited us.

PS. Listening on crappy break up player yesterday we sounded unlucky not to get a point. Match related comment to pre-empt complaints.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:12:06 by wheretherealredsare » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:17:14 »

Looking forward to seeing the team Tuesday. Definitely don't see Williams as a lone striker, although with the attacking support he has in midfield I think we'll do ok against most teams we'll face.

Tuesday, is an important game...it'll be good for the kids to get a bit of a feel for the CG, in a competitive match, without too much pressure...
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:19:05 »

So another alternative might be that they are offered new contracts that we can afford to replace their existing (allegedly) too expensive contracts. Then at least we'd have the option of playing them if it suited us.
That of course is a possibility but if they are unhappy anyway what is the point of upsetting a dressing room just to play a player who wants away.  Adam Rooney was offered a new contract - allegedly - but chose to ply his trade elsewhere, a decision that will eventually cost us another court case I fear!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:21:13 »

http://standingontheglebe.co.uk/blog/a-winning-start-peterborough-united-1-0-swindon-town

A good and fair account.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #229 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:35:38 »

Tuesday, is an important game...it'll be good for the kids to get a bit of a feel for the CG, in a competitive match, without too much pressure...
Some of their fans are extremely confident that they will beat us it would appear.

http://torquayfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6095&sid=265989a2829a5b686dd75cf776c6345e

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:43:55 »

I think it'll work in some games, and from the commentary it sounded as though we were on top in the latter stages yesterday so can see why we may not have changed.

Its just that I've not seen us play anything else over pre-season. But maybe they were just trying to re-enforce the preferred starting line-up.

Only an utter imbecile would stick to one rigid formation that wasn't working, be it 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 4-1-2-2-1 or whatever other formation we pull out.

edit: thanks MR Trinder

Depends what you mean by "On Top"
We didn't score.
So if loading the midfield and playing one striker means we dominate posession and don't score, then we ain't going to win much.

http://www.footyformation.com/

Smiley

Sir Pissalot

« Reply #231 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:51:24 »

Some of their fans are extremely confident that they will beat us it would appear.

http://torquayfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6095&sid=265989a2829a5b686dd75cf776c6345e

Shaw Rosso's Austrian distant cousin perhaps?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:54:50 »

Sorry to get back on topic but can anyone tell me who played in what role? I didn't get to listen to the game.

I presume Thompson and Smith played RB and LB respectively but what about the midfield? How did they line up? Two deep, one advanced and two wingers? Pritchard on the left or right? Aren't Reis and Pritchard both left-footed? Luongo, Harley and Mason are all more attacking midfielders so did we even use a holding midfielder?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:55:24 »

Not read that yet but they drew at home thanks to a last minute goal at home to afc Wimbledon who are cannon fodder in that league.

Torquay are mince and not being able to beat them would be a shock.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 11:15:09 »

Sorry to get back on topic but can anyone tell me who played in what role? I didn't get to listen to the game.

I presume Thompson and Smith played RB and LB respectively but what about the midfield? How did they line up? Two deep, one advanced and two wingers? Pritchard on the left or right? Aren't Reis and Pritchard both left-footed? Luongo, Harley and Mason are all more attacking midfielders so did we even use a holding midfielder?

One deeper midfielder was Luongo, Harley and Mason slightly ahead of him. Reis is left footed and started on the right, Pritchard right footed and started on the left. They did swap during the game though.

When Kasim came on for Harley he sat deep and Mason and Luongo were ahead of him. It also seemed that Pritchard went central behind 2 strikers who were Williams and Reis until Storey replaced Reis.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 11:18:36 »

One deeper midfielder was Luongo, Harley and Mason slightly ahead of him. Reis is left footed and started on the right, Pritchard right footed and started on the left. They did swap during the game though.

When Kasim came on for Harley he sat deep and Mason and Luongo were ahead of him. It also seemed that Pritchard went central behind 2 strikers who were Williams and Reis until Storey replaced Reis.
Thanks.

I think I'll call it a 4-1-2-1 and a 1/2-1 and a 1/2.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #236 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 11:29:32 »

Yes Chalkie they are honouring their contracts - who wouldn't on the sort of wages they are on - but they do not want to be at the club, so why play them?  Caddis priced himself out of a move to Blackpool and we haven't exactly been knocked over with takers for the other two, probably due to the massive contracts they were given by Wray and co.
Where have you read that Benson, Rooney or Navarro want out of the club. i'll give you Caddis but it looks to me as though you are making the same assumptions on possibly less evidence than those of the naysayers you like to point out the lack of evidence to.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 11:48:36 »

^

Benson's agent told Jed in May that he wanted out.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 11:50:23 »

not surprising seeing as he hasn't even been on the bench since last November
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 11:59:06 »

Of those out in the cold, Caddis is the only one I think would warrant a place.  For as good as Benson was for us in the 2011/12 run in, last season was probably evidence that he's probably coming to a point of needing to consider dropping down the levels or moving into another career.  Might be useful to have just in case if he can't find another club.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: