Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peterborough United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 50093 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 02:17:35 »

Totally agree and if I'm honest, why hasn't it been addressed during the summer if this is the system we were going to play?  We've brought enough players in for other positions, but not the key one?

It's a trendy thing having one man up front...big clubs shell out 30/40/50 million Euro for such a player and even then they struggle..PdC knew this and generally played 2 up front. So to find a player costing nothing or even on loan who can do the job is asking a lot....if Tisdale had been installed he'd have wanted to sign SSP, and presumably told he couldn't.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 08:16:29 »

Precisely.  No point in people keep saying that these players should be in the squad, we can't afford to put them in the squad because of the ludicrous wages and bonuses the previous manager/chairman handed out.

Apart from Caddis who wants out (as long as the club is right, is in the right division and is paying at least what he is on now) I can see the rest seeing out their contracts, none of them are going to get as much anywhere else.
Just watched an interview with Harry at QPR where he said he has four players who don't want to be at Loftus Road, it is the same scenario at SN1, we have three players who - for whatever reasons - do not want to be there and if they don't want to be there why should they be considered for a starting place.  Caddis could have played at Donny yesterday for Blackpool but got too greedy!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 08:18:12 »

It's a trendy thing having one man up front...big clubs shell out 30/40/50 million Euro for such a player and even then they struggle..PdC knew this and generally played 2 up front. So to find a player costing nothing or even on loan who can do the job is asking a lot....

That's how I see it Reg, exactly like after Euro '96 when 3 at the back along with wing backs was the fashion de jour.

I think we are stuck with it, but I hope we see sense that in some games when we are chasing a goal we can always stick 2 up top and worry the opposition defence a bit more at the expense of losing a few % points on the all important optima stats.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 08:29:56 »

Looking forward to seeing the team Tuesday. Definitely don't see Williams as a lone striker, although with the attacking support he has in midfield I think we'll do ok against most teams we'll face.

It's All Good..............
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 08:32:55 »

I think we are stuck with it, but I hope we see sense that in some games when we are chasing a goal we can always stick 2 up top and worry the opposition defence a bit more at the expense of losing a few % points on the all important optima stats.

This.  Who wants to see Williams struggling up front game after game on his own?  It'll be crap for the player, the supporters will start to get pissed off and get on his back and surely it will affect our ability to get goals unless the midfield push forward more?

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 08:45:40 »

I think it'll work in some games, and from the commentary it sounded as though we were on top in the latter stages yesterday so can see why we may not have changed.

Its just that I've not seen us play anything else over pre-season. But maybe they were just trying to re-enforce the preferred starting line-up.

Only an utter imbecile would stick to one rigid formation that wasn't working, be it 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 4-1-2-2-1 or whatever other formation we pull out.

edit: thanks MR Trinder

http://www.footyformation.com/

Smiley

« Last Edit: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 08:50:55 by Batch » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:00:24 »

How did we line up exactly?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #217 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:00:44 »

Just watched an interview with Harry at QPR where he said he has four players who don't want to be at Loftus Road, it is the same scenario at SN1, we have three players who - for whatever reasons - do not want to be there and if they don't want to be there why should they be considered for a starting place.  Caddis could have played at Donny yesterday for Blackpool but got too greedy!!
Or the alternative view is that you have players wanting to play for Swindon who are honouring the contract they and the club willingly went into but unable to do so. They keep themselves fit, are professional but can't ply their trade at the club they have a contract with..  
Flashheart

« Reply #218 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:04:24 »

There's plenty of other threads to moan in other then the match day threads. I for one just want to hear about the actual football.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:09:16 »

There's plenty of other threads to moan in other then the match day threads. I for one just want to hear about the actual football.

Formations and personnel discussions are part of the actual football. You want a match reports thread.

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:35:33 »

you've been around here long enough to know that rarely happens. So stop moaning about it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:38:10 by arriba » Logged
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:54:14 »

As we're looking for a no.9, I wonder if they might be having a look at Gary Alexander? I know he played for Crawley yesterday but it was his first start since January apparently and then it was only because Billy Clarke was unavailable because his missus was on labour.

Could be the man to 'plough the lone furrow' up front perhaps?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 09:59:21 »

Or the alternative view is that you have players wanting to play for Swindon who are honouring the contract they and the club willingly went into but unable to do so. They keep themselves fit, are professional but can't ply their trade at the club they have a contract with.. 
Yes Chalkie they are honouring their contracts - who wouldn't on the sort of wages they are on - but they do not want to be at the club, so why play them?  Caddis priced himself out of a move to Blackpool and we haven't exactly been knocked over with takers for the other two, probably due to the massive contracts they were given by Wray and co.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #223 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:05:08 »

Yes Chalkie they are honouring their contracts - who wouldn't on the sort of wages they are on - but they do not want to be at the club, so why play them?  Caddis priced himself out of a move to Blackpool and we haven't exactly been knocked over with takers for the other two, probably due to the massive contracts they were given by Wray and co.
I agree, if they wont give 100% then there is no point playing them.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:09:22 »

Wouldn't you want out of a club if you'd been cast aside?
It's also not the players faults for the contracts they are on and there is no evidence to show that they wouldn't give 100%
if you believe Jed it is because they don't fit the style of play anyway.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 10:11:35 by arriba » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: