Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Birds.  (Read 9550 times)
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 10:15:17 »

Just returned from the Isle of Canna where we had a very close encounter with a Golden Eagle...came round a  corner and there he was, sitting on a crag about 6ft away from us. When we and he had recovered from our surprise, he took off and flew right across my shoulder! Amazing sight and once seen never ever confused again.

Amazing.
Puts my Nuthatch on my bird table this morning to shame Smiley
Mind you we had 15 gold finches on the seeds for breakfast this morning.

Just also for the bird lovers. This is the month when you get less Starlings in the garden as they "gorge" on the ripe elderberries in the Countryside. This allows more food and better viewing of smaller song birds to enter the garden in search of food.
A big month for birds to build up before the winter sets in particularly this years young.

Swallows are a little late leaving the UK this year and with a mild weekend could see some stragglers leaving into October.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 10:30:52 »

Scotland is where you all need to head to.

In recent years I've seen:

- A short-eared owl sitting on a fence post about 8 feet away just looking at me (on Orkney)
- Buzzards / Red Kites by the dozen all across the highlands
- White tailed sea eagles on Skye - Which are HUUUUUUGE!

..never go back.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 17:11:17 »

Just also for the bird lovers. This is the month when you get less Starlings in the garden as they "gorge" on the ripe elderberries in the Countryside. This allows more food and better viewing of smaller song birds to enter the garden in search of food.
Judging by the number I saw earlier today they're all on Ladygrove estate in Didcot.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 19:19:10 »

Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 21:52:45 »

Saw two Kingfishers darting only about a foot above the Monmouth and Breknockshire canal this afternoon. A very pleasant afternoon (highly recommended) on the towpath was capped by sighting a heron, which only took flight when we were about 10 metres from it. Didn't even know we have herons in these isles. Impressive wingspan. Must be quite something to cop one of those on your windscreen!

Rare sightings, right?
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 21:56:01 »

I will be in the Lea Valley Country Park near Cheshunt next week. Looking at the Google aerial view i'm in for a treat!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 22:12:01 »

Herons aren't exactly as common as muck, but they're not exactly rare. See 'em all the time. Long as you're anywhere near a pond or body of fresh water, you're likely to get one.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, October 6, 2013, 22:22:20 »

Saw two Kingfishers darting only about a foot above the Monmouth and Breknockshire canal this afternoon. A very pleasant afternoon (highly recommended) on the towpath was capped by sighting a heron, which only took flight when we were about 10 metres from it. Didn't even know we have herons in these isles. Impressive wingspan. Must be quite something to cop one of those on your windscreen!

Rare sightings, right?
not really, no
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 09:01:59 »

Ok, not strictly a bird, but you twitching types (I'm looking at you Smeeton) are most likely to know the answer.

I'm currently staying in rural Burgundy, and this morning a huge, bright green grasshopper thing flew in the window. About 8cm long. We don't have locusts in this part of the world do we?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 09:06:41 »

You sure it isn't a preying Mantis?. they're quite common in Europe. I saw some big ones in Greece.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 09:11:14 »

One of these perhaps?

http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/great-green-bush-cricket
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 09:19:39 »

The migratory locust is pretty much planet wide, apart from Antarctica. Not so common in Europe, but not unknown...

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 09:24:27 »

fuck that
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 09:55:59 »

Could be, been very hot. Don't sleep naked...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, July 7, 2015, 12:32:53 »

Could be, been very hot. Don't sleep naked...

I did. What'll happen to me?

Looked a bit more like the bush cricket, green all over, but if they only grow to 7cm, then I'm crap at estimating size. And no man will admit to that.

fuck that

Is that intended as advice?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: