Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Salford v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 54915 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 11:15:31 »

Both Salford pens were nonsense.

Glad it didn't cost us
scribblemilk

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 11:29:22 »

They have a lot of money.

They can have as much money as they like but with only 3500 gates max they are gonna struggle to fit any other players within the FFP cap.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 11:30:25 »

We’ve now beaten all 91 other current league clubs according to the adver journo, the only team to have done so. Which maybe isn’t as impressive as it sounds (I doubt arsenal have much opportunities to beat Salford and Forest Green for instance) but is a nice feather in the cap nonetheless

It should be clarified that we've beaten all the others, but not necessarily in league games there's a few like ManU, Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool, only in cup games.

The stat was true last season, further we'd lost to all the others, as of last season, losing to Rochdale recently fucked us over on that.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 11:35:40 »

They can have as much money as they like but with only 3500 gates max they are gonna struggle to fit any other players within the FFP cap.
Like Bournemouth you mean?  Cool
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 11:45:24 »

It should be clarified that we've beaten all the others, but not necessarily in league games there's a few like ManU, Everton, Chelsea, Liverpool, only in cup games.

The stat was true last season, further we'd lost to all the others, as of last season, losing to Rochdale recently fucked us over on that.

It was true when we beat Fleetwood a few years ago.  I posted about it then ( I can't be arsed to find the post). A damn fine achievement.  If Bradford beat Salford they'll join us in the 91 club (maybe 90 for this year).

Edit: first posted about it 5 years ago.
http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=55379.0
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 11:53:40 by donkey » Logged

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:03:15 »

From what I understand wages are a maximum of 50% of turnover - which is why Bradford will struggle to recall Doyle on his full wages.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:03:21 »

It was true when we beat Fleetwood a few years ago.  I posted about it then ( I can't be arsed to find the post). A damn fine achievement.  If Bradford beat Salford they'll join us in the 91 club (maybe 90 for this year).

Edit: first posted about it 5 years ago.
http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=55379.0

Of those 90/91, the only ones I've not seen in person, apart from Salford, are ManU and Everton. ManU have never won at the CG.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #217 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:31:01 »

From what I understand wages are a maximum of 50% of turnover - which is why Bradford will struggle to recall Doyle on his full wages.
55% in L2 and 60% in L1. But bear in mind that Bradford have an average crowd of almost double ours.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:34:00 »

Paying half the price for a ticket. The reason they offloaded Doyle in the first place was to free up wages to bring in other players.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:35:21 »

yeah, £150 for a season ticket. good numbers even so, but not the advantage you'd think
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 12:59:20 »

Most players take the money rather than the proposition.

Rooney from Aberdeen to non league Salford a great example.

True to an extent but not one of their players would get into our 1st XI so they clearly aren’t as attractive to the higher quality players as people thought. An older player looking for a pay day will probably be interested but to a more ambitious player playing in front of 1000 home fans probably isn’t that appealing.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #221 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 13:24:07 »

True to an extent but not one of their players would get into our 1st XI so they clearly aren’t as attractive to the higher quality players as people thought. An older player looking for a pay day will probably be interested but to a more ambitious player playing in front of 1000 home fans probably isn’t that appealing.
I thought Salford were pretty poor, not good at passing, lots of hoofball and they couldnt cope with Woolerys pace at the back. Rooney looks poor and Jervis a real donkey, as you say not one of that team would be near our starting line up.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #222 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 13:25:11 »

A few comments from the Salford forum, TBF there are only a few comments on there!

I have seen much better referees than this character today.  I also understand that an unfortunate slip led to their equaliser and the penalty decision seemed harsh.  Yes I also feel their 3rd was just unlucky that we couldn;t clear it but....

Can't understand why we can't buy a win at home while away we play attractive passing football

these are better players than we have ever had but the entertainment factor is just not there

I really don't think we can complain too much about our 2-3 defeat as Swindon looked the more composed side of the two with their acurate slick passing and aerial dominance frustrating us throughout large parts of the afternoon. Adam Rooney gave us the perfect start with a successful penalty kick only for Swindon to capitalise on our hesitancy at the back with an equaliser just minutes later. I really can't remember us making any serious threat on the visitors goal for the remainder of the half as they appeared to grow in confidence. An encouraging start to the second half soon evaporated as we reverted back to hoofing the ball forwards, playing too many over hit passes and failing to take any advantage of any number of free kicks into the Swindon 18 yard box. A spell of some pressure came and went without any reward and while the visitors looked less threatening than they did in the first half two quick breaks saw them take the lead from the penalty spot after Liam Hogan - I think it was - was adjudged to have handled a cross in the area followed by the killer third after Chris Neal had made a double save only for it to be smashed in from point blank range. It was no more than the visitors deserved although Adam Rooney still found time to net a second penalty conversion on the stroke of full time after Brandon Asante had been adjudged to have been brought down after he had missed a great opportunity just two minutes earlier by firing wide when well placed. No complaints then about the result as the better team definitely won but I felt we didn't do ourselves any favours in the way we lumped the ball high and wide too many times and didn't win enough one on one battles where it mattered.

I’m happy to be a league 2 team, but I don’t see any evidence that we’re learning anything. Backing off all the time and this awful hoofball. I’d rather lose trying to play football than hoofing the ball

It was very dispiriting today to see another awful, pedestrian performance full of the long ball garbage.

currently the football is boring the pants off me.

They are a good team (Swindon). No doubt about it. They ran the midfield.

Swindon are clearly a very good side but I thought we could have approached the game much better

Swindon were faster, sharper and more creative. They could always find an unmarked man in acres of space. BUT, apart from Doughty, our players should be as good as theirs.

Their fans were excellent, best this season.

We had far too many players yesterday standing and watching, maybe in awe, at the Swindon players. That’s not about being outclassed, it’s about players just not doing their jobs.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 13:32:15 »

55% in L2 and 60% in L1. But bear in mind that Bradford have an average crowd of almost double ours.
The other point to bear in mind is that they are already maxed out to the 55% wage limit - the fact their turnover is bigger than ours means nothing as they have already spent it.

They need to increase turnover to recall Doyle. That could be by winning their 2 FA Cup games and getting a plum 3rd round tie or their owner gifting the club the money - loaning money doesn’t count towards turnover. As the rules for an owner gifting money is, I think £1.81 to the pound lent, then the approximate cost of a returning Doyle would be roughly writing off £130,000 of the owner’s money.

By all accounts we are already paying the bulk of his wages so maybe paying them fully plus a nominal fee would secure him - plus us offering him a 2.5 year contract.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #224 on: Sunday, November 17, 2019, 13:50:06 »

I hear that a fee as low as £50k to £100k has been mentioned to sign him but it means us covering his whole wage, with some transfer wangling or Clems money coming in then that could in theory cover that.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: