Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Should we sign berlin up?  (Read 7096 times)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:02:46 »

maybe we have deals for loans lined up but we are looking at trialists in case they turn out to be ok.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:03:46 »

Macklin I'd agree with, the couple of times I've seen him he looked more like a striker than a midfielder anyway.

But not Marshall, McNamee or any of the other midfielders - they have never scored enough goals.

So I think my point stands, when you've only got 2 strikers and need 4 (or 3 at a push) how can a trialist be better than nothing? Fine if Wilson says they are shit, but saying they aren't better than what we've got is bollocks.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:05:53 »

Dont be fucking daft jonny.we could have 100 strikers and one coming in could be worse
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:10:27 »

or they are not better than paynter?

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:12:49 »

yeah.the numbers are irrelivant.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:21:30 »

maybe we have deals for loans lined up but we are looking at trialists in case they turn out to be ok.

this is what i suspect as well.

i'm glad wilson isn't panic buying or offering contracts to anyone half decent - look what we ended up with last year... we're short of strikers but i'd rather we were patient and found the right man than wasted wages on another casal
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:40:47 »

Quite right SY. I think we're looking for one permanent signing and a season-long loan to provide competition up front and like DRS said, I don't think the trialists are being looked at for either of those slots, more as a fourth back-up once we do have Paynter + two as the three main strikers. And in that context, it's pointless making a panic signing for the sake of it, if they're not much better than Macklin or Marshall.

I'm not panicking yet and won't be even if we start the season without the +two, although I'll probably be prepared to confess to some tremblings if we go into the last week of August without them.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:44:02 »

Dont be fucking daft jonny.we could have 100 strikers and one coming in could be worse

But we've only got one recognised striker. What if Paynter gets injured or suspended?

Unless Wilson is saying that Berlin is worse than Marshall / McNamee / WhoEver playing out of position, and worse than the youth team players we've got. I didn't see Berlin play but is he really that shit.

Again my main point stands, saying a striker isn't better than not having a striker is just bollocks.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 15:48:08 »

Again my main point stands, saying a striker isn't better than not having a striker is just bollocks.
As is signing someone who you don't think is good enough because you're flapping about the season starting in a couple of weeks
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 16:08:17 »

I don't think we should sign anyone in panic but maybe it's time to re-think our strategy.

There's quite a few games to win in August and it will be difficult with someone who isn't a recognised striker up front.

I guess my general feeling is that people have been saying the same thing for weeks (give it time) and I include myself in that group, however we need to learn a lesson from the Malpas/appointing a new manager saga.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 16:23:31 »

I don't think we should sign anyone in panic but maybe it's time to re-think our strategy.

There's quite a few games to win in August and it will be difficult with someone who isn't a recognised striker up front.

I guess my general feeling is that people have been saying the same thing for weeks (give it time) and I include myself in that group, however we need to learn a lesson from the Malpas/appointing a new manager saga.
See what you're saying and part of me agrees but the new manager saga cuts both ways doesn't it? As that dragged on, there was increasing pressure to just get anyone in (some even advocated Martin Allen!) but the club waited and got the right man.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 16:27:50 »

Beat you by 1 minute on the reminiscing! Wink I think it was Andy King that got rid of him though but you could well be right that it was muckmarn, I remember whoever it was as manager stating that he didn't think he could compete with stronger English players on a wet Wednesday away at Barnsley or something.

Another good striker we had on trial was a huge french/african that went to Tranmere and did well also, can't remember his name though.

I had forgot about Basille Boli, he was not bad, short and chubby.
I'm sure McMahon wanted Bernard Tchoutang to sign, but the player was an Cameroon International and wanted huge wages at the time.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Spencer_White

« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 19:04:18 »

I think we can pull a good striker out of the bag on deadline day, when clubs are more tempted by the £££. 

Need to start pestering the top clubs for a Jimmy Davis loan type though.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 19:30:09 »

Last night Wilson was quoted as saying Berlin did ok and that he will have another look and will let him know by the weekend. By lunchtime he has released him. Am i reading too much into it by thinking we have made progress with another target for him to change his mind in 12 hours
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, July 29, 2009, 19:34:40 »

Either that or he did a Gurney.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: