Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jon Stewart  (Read 7311 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:01:36 »

dean ashton. born here but slipped under our nose

Things get better but they never get good
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:04:17 »

Sorry Rich...Carrick and Milner were loan players fom prem clubs and we never had any chance of getting them.....Akinfenwa and Henderson were available and my whole point is we let them go,i didnt like Cureton but hes a good striker.....whats flawed about that?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:05:14 »

dean ashton. born here but slipped under our nose

That ol' chestnut.

Micky Channon, John Atyeo, Darren Eadie(!).... - all Wiltshire born, shame on us.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:08:19 »

i dont think we could have kept cureton even if we had wanted him too.

We didnt get henderson because gillingham raised their price stupidly high to try instigate a bidding war, which we sensibly withdrew from

We didnt sign akinfenwa because he had a broken leg ffs! And sturrock didnt have a crystal ball available to him to help decide how good he'd be again when fully fit

Things get better but they never get good
Rich Pullen

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:09:04 »

Sorry Rich...Carrick and Milner were loan players fom prem clubs and we never had any chance of getting them.....Akinfenwa and Henderson were available and my whole point is we let them go,i didnt like Cureton but hes a good striker.....whats flawed about that?

The Milner and Carrick comment was a joke.

Cureton didn't want to play for us.
There was no guarentee that Akinfenwa would regain adequate fitness - he failed a medical - we had no money to pay fit players let alone injured.

We all know what happened with Henderson-Gillingham-agent-£££ saga.

None of those were a case of "stupid Swindon" in my opinion.

Basically what Dave said Cheesy
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:09:17 »

Also a certain young man at Arsenal who we let go to Southampton for a grande....though i do accept that he was only 14 at the time so wouldnt put him in the list.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:13:04 »

Also a certain young man at Arsenal who we let go to Southampton for a grande....though i do accept that he was only 14 at the time so wouldnt put him in the list.

Yep and again, that wasn't a case of us being foolish.

In recent years there are very few players who have left us and gone on to truly amazing things. Brian Howard in the FA Cup is probably the best but, again, he wasn't doing the business for us (and that cup run was somewhat freakish)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:14:45 »

I reckon we release more players which go from dross to absolute toss, than players that go on to better things.
JPC82

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:15:51 »

haha he didn't try to set fire to the changing rooms
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:17:13 »

Ben Thatcher was born in Swindon.  He would have been 17 when we won promotion under Hoddle, but I'm not sure whether he still had any connection with the town by that point.  I'm sure Reg will know.

The other 'old chestnut' that used to be mentioned when this subject was being discussed was Roy Wegerle, who was loaned to us in 1988.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:20:00 »

The other 'old chestnut' that used to be mentioned when this subject was being discussed was Roy Wegerle, who was loaned to us in 1988.

He has to rank with the likes of Given, Carrick, Milner, Davis et al in the 'providing experience' category surely?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:20:09 »

Fact is, throughout our history there have been very few players who we've seriously missed out on....Dudley Tyler, maybe, and Walcott although there was nothing we could could do to stop him going, we maybe could have got more compensation.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:21:38 »

Had we kept Walcott and sold him, we'd have got a lot less money and it would have only gone in to certain people's bank accounts.

Chill.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:25:23 »

Agreed to a point Reg....me saying littered was a bit optimistic.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, August 28, 2008, 19:25:49 »

Ben Thatcher was born in Swindon.  He would have been 17 when we won promotion under Hoddle, but I'm not sure whether he still had any connection with the town by that point.  I'm sure Reg will know.

Hoddle didn't fancy Thatcher as he thought him a bit thuggish and not enough of a footballer.

Wegerle we could have bought, but Macari didn't fancy him because he troed to play too much football in dangerous areas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: