Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fishmongers  (Read 10191 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 22:41:23 »

Brum being the furthest (72 miles)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, April 26, 2013, 23:07:50 »

I worked in a fishmongers in the summer holidays as a youngster, was never short of cockles in my house  Eat
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 01:29:25 »

I thought the last one was a fishmomgers / grocer on Groundwell Rd ? (also good), plus the newsagents opposite the Wheatsheaf on Newport St has a decent selection os sweeties !!!

Fair point, I never really thought of it as a fishmonger, as I used to buy game from there. Earle's has the sweeties, I'm sure if you're a sweet eater it caters to your every need.
fatbasher

« Reply #33 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 07:26:12 »

Being a knight of the road I get to travel to lots of plaices where there are decent fishmongers. The best one though not inexpensive, or local is down on the front at Ventnor on the IOW. I always make that my last sales call on the last day and bring home something tasty as a treat.

There is a fishmongers at the Cobbs farm shop at Hungerford, open from Wednesday I think. Maybe worth a punt.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 29, 2013, 20:45:53 by fatbasher » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 07:46:24 »

Try Three Trees Farm shop at Chiseldon. Or Cobbs Farmshop at Hungerford if you are EITHERpassing or live within easy traveling distance for meat. Real gems in an oasis of poor quality.
butts farm is pricey but usually decent too ( just off 419 near cerney), also millets on the way to ox*ford has a farm shop and a corn maize and some animals to look at with the kids if you are out that way.

Neither do fish. Obviously bibury trout farm do trout. You can club your own fish to death if you like. No I'm not joking.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 09:47:38 »

Popped in Three Trees this morning. Nice place, bought a joint of beef for tomorrow.
Quite an expensive place though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 10:46:02 »

Popped in Three Trees this morning. Nice place, bought a joint of beef for tomorrow.

I walked past there yesterday, on the old railway, doing a loop from Swindon, up to Barbury and back. Thought about nipping in, but decided against, due to the fact, if I did buy something I'd have to carry it for about 6 miles.

Expensive doesn't sound good..
fatbasher

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 14:28:15 »

The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of the lowest price is forgotten. You'll come on here after lunch tomorrow and tell everyone how nice it was, unless you murder it when cooking.

We have over decades now become consumers of larger portions of lower priced tasteless mass produced products, myself included. I reckon we could all survive on smaller amounts thus giving us more money to pay for better quality.

I had my Christmas turkey at Easter, It's a long story suffice to say there was a mix up with Vowley Farm and I left it in their freezer till Easter. I ended up buying a fresh turkey from Sainsburys, it was OK, however,@ £27.00 I think was probably £7.00 more than it was worth. My Easter/Christmas turkey from Vowley Farm was effing sublime, moist, tenter full of flavour, slightly gamey as a turkey should be. Took it to my brothers house as we had a big family gathering with a joint of loin of pork from the same people. Ok it was more expensive probably no more than 15-20% tops though. There was nothing left on the carcass and only rib bones from the pork.

You pay your money and take the chance. For me, pay a bit more, get a bit less a fair exchange IMHO.     
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 14:31:02 »

I had my Christmas turkey at Easter, It's a long story suffice to say there was a mix up with Vowley Farm and I left it in their freezer till Easter. I ended up buying a fresh turkey from Sainsburys, it was OK, however,@ £27.00 I think was probably £7.00 more than it was worth. My Easter/Christmas turkey from Vowley Farm was effing sublime, moist, tenter full of flavour, slightly gamey as a turkey should be. Took it to my brothers house as we had a big family gathering with a joint of loin of pork from the same people. Ok it was more expensive probably no more than 15-20% tops though. There was nothing left on the carcass and only rib bones from the pork.
[url width=500 height=400]http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Dv5e5.gif[/url]
fatbasher

« Reply #39 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 14:32:56 »

[url width=500 height=400]http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Dv5e5.gif[/url]

Thank you SY, if I was a cynical fcuker I'd say you were taking the piss.  Wink
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 14:56:33 »

A little bit.

I agree with you though, I used to save money by using soya mince, lentils and pulses in stuff like curry, tacos or lasagne so that I could afford to buy some good meat from the butchers a couple of times a week.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 15:21:50 »

I'll happily pay more for decent cuts of meat every now and then.
Farm shops in general tend to be more expensive than butchers, that was my point.

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Saturday, April 27, 2013, 15:41:56 »

I bought some so say better sausages from millets farm that were pricey and they we're fucking horrible.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:04:08 »

Is it just one left down there? Used to be several when i lived there.

Yeah afraid so Sutton, still two butchers and a greengrocers though so not doing too bad compared to the rest of Britain.

Free delivery too although as i said prices aren't cheap.

http://www.thesmellyalleyfishcompany.co.uk/
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, April 29, 2013, 15:15:33 »

Anyone remember 'The Little Shop' in the parade in Marlborough.  Now that was a proper sweet shop.  Closed down 20 odd years ago, but plenty of childhood memories spent there.  My dentist has done ok out of me too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: