Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: P/O Semi Final 1st leg Swindon Town V Charlton Athletic Official matchday thread  (Read 43632 times)
NW6Red

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 00:24:39 »

Well that was great - even the pissed Charlton fans pulling the emergency cord on the train back to London couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Great atmosphere, and we played brilliantly, especially going forward - good to see us back to form. I thought we looked a bit shaky at the back at the start of the second half, but as we scored 2 goals then I'm not complaining  Grin

I was a bit worried when I heard that Paynter wasn't playing, but Ward was absolutely brilliant tonight. I'd love to have him in the team next year whichever division we're in, but I can't see Bolton letting him go, unfortunately.

Can't wait till Monday. You reds!
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 00:32:20 »

How can I feel slightly disappointed when we won tonight?  Really we could have had Charlton dead and buried.  For any other team the Pericard chance would have hit the back of the keeper and rolled in, but we don't get that type of luck do we?  Disappointed to have let in such a soft goal, especially after dealing with the succession of corners that Charlton threw at us! A goal advantage is slim, but the pressure is on Charlton.  If we score again, they need to score 3 times! 
Austin looked sharp again tonight and good to see him score, he needed that.  Have been told by friends who watched in the pub that he should have buried one of the headers - haven't seen it again yet, so can't comment?  We were at our best when we played the ball on the ground, why Greer and Sheehan kept feeling the need to hoof it forward is beyond me?  Apparently Manks had a late fitness test, so not sure whether he was struggling late on.  Hope he can play on Monday, as he gave another attacking option.  To be fair, nobody really had a bad game.  We are capable of beating anyone when we play proper football!  Pericard looked as good as has been in a Town shirt and like others, I've not been his biggest fan.  Maybe shoud have been brough on earlier?  Intersting that even with Billy out Nouble didn't start - has Danny realised he's shit?
On the Paynter front, if he wasn't injured, would he have had the balls to do the interview on the radio saying how gutted he was?  I'd like to think not?
Having wanted to go to the away leg from the outset, but having nobody to go with, my dad has now decided that he can't bear not to be there.  He's never seen Swindon lose in a play off game when he's actually been there.  Surely a good omen, just need to get tickets tomorrow now!
On the Paynter front, if he wasn't injured, would he have had the balls to do the interview on the radio saying how gutted he was?  I'd like to think not?
WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Panda Paws

« Reply #287 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 00:36:56 »

Charlie has looked out of sorts for a couple of weeks and done nothing 'wall. Nouble will be used to the big atmosphere and it could bring out the best in him. Kev defo at RB, just so much better at going forward.

Yeah, I was wrong
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 00:48:36 »

Paynter is definatly injured no idea whythat nob earlier in the thread is trying to say otherwise. Anyway On  monday even if Paynter is fit, i'd  be tempted to start with Ward up front, he made their experienced centre back look a right mug with his "rolling him" trick, it worked every single time.
Panda Paws

« Reply #289 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 00:58:59 »

Wardy was fucking brilliant tonight...by far and away MOM. I had a neutralish mate with me tonight, and he was so impressed with us going forward and the firepower we've got. Wardy, Austin, Pericard was superb for 10 mins, obviously BP and Frank is a good young player despite not getting a proper go down here - thats an incredible strikeforce for L1 and the one thing that scares the shit out of defences like Charltons is pace....
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 01:04:02 »

Well that was great - even the pissed Charlton fans pulling the emergency cord on the train back to London couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Great atmosphere, and we played brilliantly, especially going forward - good to see us back to form. I thought we looked a bit shaky at the back at the start of the second half, but as we scored 2 goals then I'm not complaining  Grin

I was a bit worried when I heard that Paynter wasn't playing, but Ward was absolutely brilliant tonight. I'd love to have him in the team next year whichever division we're in, but I can't see Bolton letting him go, unfortunately.

Can't wait till Monday. You reds!

Sure it was Charlton fans? Most of the london reds will of been on that train, and they are hardcore*

* Not really, although petswinsprizes will have been juiced and maybe used it as a handrail
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 01:07:24 »

Paynter is definatly injured no idea whythat nob earlier in the thread is trying to say otherwise. Anyway On  monday even if Paynter is fit, i'd  be tempted to start with Ward up front, he made their experienced centre back look a right mug with his "rolling him" trick, it worked every single time.

I tend to agree, Charlton must have had a game plan to deal with Paynter and Austin and when Paynter wasn't playing, it must have been WTF Ward and Austin, and WTF O'Brien.  Even if Paynter is injured just having him on the bench pretending he's fit might spook them a little.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 07:38:40 »

Charlton fans talk some shit.

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=34470&page=1

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 07:49:54 »

Ha ha moaning about not making any noise because they were on the Bank. That's why you were put there numbnuts! We'll take any advantage we can, we want to win the tie and get to wembley, not hold a singoff.

They think the Valley will be intimidating. Well I'm sure if we can cope at Elland Road and St Marys it won't be the cause of a downfall should we have one.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 07:50:45 »

Apparently we were weak in defence and no real threats going forward?!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 07:52:40 »

Apparently we were weak in defence and no real threats going forward?!

Well, apart from the 8 good chances and 2 goals we held no threat whatsoever. Meh, let them think we are shit. All works in our favour.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 08:01:45 »

they are also raving on about the atmosphere they will create monday, think they will raise the roof etc etc.
Lets not forget that there will be twice as many town fans in the jimmy seed as there were in the TE last night...think about that!
An early goal and it will be very quiet from 3 sides methinks....
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 08:03:50 »

I absolutly shat myself last night, had to sit down in the second half was so scared.

Not looking forward to monday, going to need some new underware...  Doh

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 08:14:35 »

They have some right fucking mongs (as do we it must be said) But moaning about the town, when half of them live in Kidbrooke and Poplar is ironic, and as for moaning about the clappers, they bought a shitty drum, the worst crime against football ffs.  Kick Bailey early and they dont have anyone else to cause problems Monday, decent enough side, but pretty toothless up front on that showing.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #299 on: Saturday, May 15, 2010, 08:49:51 »

Thought O Brien had a decent game, first half was ok but second half they couldn't hold him when he got on a run with the ball, his pace caused problems, I suspect that he will not be fit enough for monday though if Ward is up front again, so perhaps it maybe worthwhile putting Lex into midfield as we don't really have another decent left sided player and using O Brien as an impact sub late on when legs are getting tired 
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 ... 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: