Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brian Howard vs. Lee Holmes  (Read 1553 times)
walrus

Ignore
« on: Saturday, February 19, 2005, 11:26:49 »

The signing of Lee Holmes confused me somewhat, as for me our left wing was not a problem.  We have a perfectly capable left winger who is one of the team's best players in my opinion, although he seems to have an odd fetish for playing in the middle where he is rather impotent defensively.

Yes Lee Holmes brought a great spark to our team, but is it really valuable playing Derby's left winger for a couple of months rather than giving Howard more experience and making him a better player - afterall he is our long-term left midfielder and by far not the weakest player in the team.  Were Holmes to replace Igoe and play down the right, I would say fair game, but I do not think it is fair to drop Howard.  Don't forget the switch to 4-4-2 and the introduction of Howard to the first team was the catalyst to our run from mid-table obscurity to comfortable playoff position, before a dip at the end of the season.
kaufman

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 19, 2005, 11:36:18 »

im afraid although i see your point lee holmes attitude,commitment,crossing,work rate and team work ethic is far Superior to howards, but i do think bringing holmes to the club and with smith now on form is exactly what howard needs to up his game! all these jokes about him being overweight have got a bit thin now (ha !) but he is overweight and it has affected his game and cost us many goals when he has been in the team! i lost count the amount of times i have seen him out of position and then struggling of get back. im sure he will come good but if he is still with us next season lets hope harford comes in as assistant and makes him lose those pounds!
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 19, 2005, 11:50:19 »

I think Howard preferred playing in front of Nicholas.  Duke goes forward more than Nicholas, which means Howard has to be more defensively aware.  I believe it is rubbish about him being overweight, the lad is clearly very fit and were he overweight I am hopeful Swindon Town Football Club are professional enough to help him shift it.  I do not think he costs us goals, and instead is a prolific midfielder by Swindon standards, with only Smith having scored more goals.

Thank God for Smith's rise in form or we'd have an unfit Migs or an out of position Howard in that position, but I do think he deserves a crack today at Torquay, as King himself said Holmes is a better player at home than away.
kaufman

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 19, 2005, 13:48:06 »

ok this is a joke right? :Ride On Fatbury's Lovestick  howard is clearly overweight you only have to look at the guy at half time in his training kit!
ahh it's all bollocks anyway basically howard needs to pull his finger out as he has the talent to become a great player but i fear he will go to waste! prove me wrong kid prove me wrong!
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 19, 2005, 14:22:10 »

I saw him after the Torquay home match (I was lucky enough to have VIP tickets) and he looked geniunely upset and embarrassed at being man of the match for such a performance.  I don't think his attitude is truly in question.  I think people have gained the wrong impression and hyped it up beyond all proportion.  Don't want to turn this into a girlie chat, but the lad isn't overweight - I was pretty sure it was a six pack and not six neat rolls of flab under his shirt?!  Wink
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 20, 2005, 21:54:53 »

Howard vs Holmes in a fight: Howard would sit on Holmes and win.

Just kidding. Holmes for me is the btter player. If you were at Torquay you will have seen how much width he gives the team and he always looks dangerous.

Holmes wins for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: