Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Holiday reading  (Read 9221 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 09:45:20 »

Yes

Other than referring to Lampard as Lamps, in total agreement.

I imagine evil psychopaths bent on world domination, having a pool for great white sharks and piranha, and a chamber for having to read the autobiographies of John Terry, Phil Neville and Rio Ferdinand.

Agree Juddie.  Up at Easter Road on Saturday and I bought "Bobby Johnstone - The passing of an age".  For those that don't know Bobby was a member of the Hibernian Famous Five, a brilliant footballer who dazzled the Scottish league, until he left for Man City. 

I real nice guy from Selkirk, I was lucky enough to meet him in his final years when visiting my uncle up in Selkirk.  He must have been 80 odd, playing the fruit machines, but he came over and we had a long chat about his life and career, he died in 2001, and when I saw he book I couldn't resist.  Read a fair bit of it already and it really makes you think of what a special age of football the 1950's were.  Today's lot don't compare.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 09:46:08 »

I'll need something to do when she can't take any more.

Surely it should be The Joy of Sex in preparation for round 2. Though if the Beardy Man is still in it then maybe not, he looks like a geography teacher but still gets laid. As if.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 09:58:14 »

already mentioned but david peace-damned utd is superb.
fictional, but told as if its brian clough speaking the words.
sam, you will love this book.
genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 10:09:19 »

i'll agree with damned united, its very good indeed
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 10:37:45 »

Modern day footballers have nothing of interest to say. 'Look at me earning a million more than you all'. 'Look at me with the eloquence of a small child'. 'Look at me with my celebrity mates'. 'Look at me all disappointed because they wouldn't pay me £120,000 a week'. 'Look at me failing to do anything with England.'

whatever.

genf_stfc

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:26:39 »

Modern day footballers have nothing of interest to say. 'Look at me earning a million more than you all'. 'Look at me with the eloquence of a small child'. 'Look at me with my celebrity mates'. 'Look at me all disappointed because they wouldn't pay me £120,000 a week'. 'Look at me failing to do anything with England.'

whatever.

are you joey barton's slightly more educated alter-ego ?!
Gazza's Fat Mate
Morality Robocop

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:36:01 »

East of Eden - John Stenibeck brillaint book bit long but excellent!

Anniaml Farm - Geogre Orewall - will make you think. It not very long a quick read but good never the less.

Anything by Irvine Walsh my fav is Mallibu Storke really werid. I have all of his books and plays the plays are rubbish to read but the books are brillinat Flith is great, one of the characters is a worm in a chaps bowl really funny.

1984 -  Geogre Orewall - bit depressing but will get you thinking.

I could go on and on but really can't be arsed.

Ash - "GFM Mate your like like Marmite you Love it or Hate it"
Christian Roberts " I fucking hate Marmite"
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:41:54 »

Its George ORWELL!!!Not a difficult name to spell really,and to spell it wrong twice Doh

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:45:49 »

George Orewall!!  Class.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 11:51:11 »

Its George ORWELL!!!Not a difficult name to spell really,and to spell it wrong twice Doh

Steady on Larwood....it's quite tricky to spell if you're dyslexic. I think GFM's contribution towards raising the intellectual tone of the forum should be encouraged.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:02:28 »

The best book I have read in ages was 'The Shadow of the Wind' cannot remember who it is by though. I would agree that Orwell is very good, and also Hemingway. Have just finished The End of Mr Y, (it was cheap in Waterstones) and whilst it is very good it made my bloody head hurt!

I am getting a bit sick at the moment of reading books where you get to the end and bugger all has happened!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:18:14 »

The Stand by Stephen King
Decipher by Stel Pavlou

These are very long engrossing books, will take you a while to read both of these so I'd say they are perfect.
flammableBen

« Reply #27 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:20:37 »

I read this ace Mystery/thriller/adventure which not only had an exciting twisty plot, but some heavy themes like difficult family relationships and class divides. Was pretty mental.

Just a sec. I'll found out what it was called.
flammableBen

« Reply #28 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:23:40 »

I read this ace Mystery/thriller/adventure which not only had an exciting twisty plot, but some heavy themes like difficult family relationships and class divides. Was pretty mental.

Just a sec. I'll found out what it was called.

Found it....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/Famousfive3.jpg
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, August 4, 2008, 12:26:51 »

kiterunner
the swansea terminal.

i agree with DRS, reading on a honeymoon??

officially blacker than the night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: