Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Rugby  (Read 12478 times)
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 07:34:04 »

Quote from: "Lumps"
Quote from: "STFC Village"
The game used to involve players called backs running with the ball and passing and stuff but that's something only the "naive" south sea islands players bother with now because it's all a bit too exciting and entertaining to be considered proper professional rugby.
That's why it's called "test" rugby, it's meant to be a challenge.

You don't play 7's rugby in test matches, much the same as you don't play "hit & giggle" 20/20 in test matches in cricket.

The voice of someone who only noticed the game existed when England started winning the 5 nations and consequently thinks that's the way the game should be and has always been played.
Oh, my apologies, i didn't realise being young made me automatically wrong

Hey you don't have to be old to be aware that Rugby was being played before the mid '90's and didn't always look like a somebody had absent mindedly thrown an odd shaped ball into a sumo wrestlers gang bang.

They still show the odd old game on the Sky every now and again, and the DVD's are available everywhere. Fuck me you can't have failed to notice that even the presenters off the games on TV and radio (who are paid to pretend that this shit is the most exciting STUFF EVER!) preface almost every review with the phrase "well it wasn't  a classic".  They know that a bunch of 22-28 stone blokes shoving each other up and down a pitch for 80 minutes punctuated only by the kicking of penalties or for touch into the corners isn't a hugely entertaining spectacle.

Test matches DIDN'T always get played like that, and I defy anyone to argue that it's some kind of fucking improvement. England winning the World Cup four years ago was a fucking disaster for the game. It's as if Egil Olsten's Norway won the football world cup, and all the leading sides in the world suddenly thought "Oh shit, a fucking tedious long ball game based on a tight defence and well drilled set pieces is the way to win at this game" and started trying to emulate it.

Fuck me England have even managed to get France playing like a bunch of cunts.

Go back to readng your daily mail . You play to your strengths and at this moment  in time England do not have enough talent in the backs to start throwing the ball around.The forwards decide who wins the game, the backs decide by how many points.

Sad to say, i must be on my way
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 08:07:59 »

Quote from: "Iffy's Onion Bhaji"
England v South Africa it is then. It won't be 36-0 this time (well maybe in our favour  Soapy Tit Wank )

Bryan Habana is the man to keep and eye on.

Lightening quick and an expert on capitalising on mistakes.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 08:16:12 »

Should be a good final, personally I hope South Africa win, as I prefer the style of rugby they play, and no I'm not being anti english, I just feel the Springboks deserve the Webb Ellis Trophy this time around.  They've played some good stuff during this tournament without getting up themselves like certain other countries **cough** all blacks.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 08:20:17 »

Id say South Africa deserved it as well however Englands passion/self belief and unity as a team in these latter stages IMO deems them worthy of winning it.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #94 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 08:25:37 »

That Habana was fucking ace last night. His 2nd try on like 76 mins and he ran the length of the pitch close to the speed of light.

Can't see us beating them to be honest. But then again, the bandwagon's last stop is this saturday, so might as well enjoy it while it lasts.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 08:26:33 »

Fair play to england for giving themselves a chance of winning the thing, I'd agree with that.  But for england's achievements in this rugby world cup, read west germany's achievements in Mexico 86.  

Workmanlike, ordinary and in the end out of their depth.  Thank God for Diego and co seeing off the hun in the final, we could have had the worst world champions ever in 86.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:14:29 »

Did Lumps actually watch Jason Robinson run straight through 4 or 5 tackles the other night? Or was it not worth it because he didn't take on another three players and score a try before doing a triple somersault and pole vaulting through the posts? I suppose it was a pretty pathetic attempt.

I'm not trying to say England play the most entertaining rugby in the world, but Italy weren't all that in the last footy World Cup. It's not about who plays with falir, otherwise you would have judges in sport rather than scoring points/goals
spacey

« Reply #97 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:17:46 »

Quote from: "Fogster"
The game used to involve players called backs running with the ball and passing and stuff but that's something only the "naive" south sea islands players bother with now because it's all a bit too exciting and entertaining to be considered proper professional rugby.

You don't play 7's rugby in test matches, much the same as you don't play "hit & giggle" 20/20 in test matches in cricket.

The voice of someone who only noticed the game existed when England started winning the 5 nations and consequently thinks that's the way the game should be and has always been played.

Hey you don't have to be old to be aware that Rugby was being played before the mid '90's and didn't always look like a somebody had absent mindedly thrown an odd shaped ball into a sumo wrestlers gang bang.

They still show the odd old game on the Sky every now and again, and the DVD's are available everywhere. Fuck me you can't have failed to notice that even the presenters off the games on TV and radio (who are paid to pretend that this shit is the most exciting STUFF EVER!) preface almost every review with the phrase "well it wasn't  a classic".  They know that a bunch of 22-28 stone blokes shoving each other up and down a pitch for 80 minutes punctuated only by the kicking of penalties or for touch into the corners isn't a hugely entertaining spectacle.

Test matches DIDN'T always get played like that, and I defy anyone to argue that it's some kind of fucking improvement. England winning the World Cup four years ago was a fucking disaster for the game. It's as if Egil Olsten's Norway won the football world cup, and all the leading sides in the world suddenly thought "Oh shit, a fucking tedious long ball game based on a tight defence and well drilled set pieces is the way to win at this game" and started trying to emulate it.

Go back to readng your daily mail . You play to your strengths and at this moment  in time England do not have enough talent in the backs to start throwing the ball around.The forwards decide who wins the game, the backs decide by how many points.

What an odd thing to say. If Lumps had said that rugby players claim benefits that they aren't entitled to and eat babies, then I'd be able to see where you're coming from. If Lumps had said that he'd seen a medical report saying that a recent study proved that rugby players give you cancer, then fair enough.I've read Lumps' post and I'm sure I've not seen any mention of how rugby effects house prices. Anyway I'm fairly certain that your average Daily Mail reader will have the collars of their rugby shirts pointing upwards with pride this morning.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:18:09 »

It's as per my example.  When another country gets through to a final using workmanlike tactics you hate it, if it's your own country that benefits from it you love it.  Simple as that really.

For the neutrals seeing a country like Holland do well in the 70's and 88 is great because they do so well playing the game in a way that's easy on the eye.
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:21:39 »

[/quote]

What an odd thing to say. If Lumps had said that rugby players claim benefits that they aren't entitled to and eat babies, then I'd be able to see where you're coming from. If Lumps had said that he'd seen a medical report saying that a recent study proved that rugby players give you cancer, then fair enough.I've read Lumps' post and I'm sure I've not seen any mention of how rugby effects house prices. Anyway I'm fairly certain that your average Daily Mail reader will have the collars of their rugby shirts pointing upwards with pride this morning.[/quote]

Nah, im more interested in kicking out the immigrants who take our houses and take our benefits  Cheesy

spacey

« Reply #100 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:22:40 »

It's fucking scum landlords that take all the houses.
Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:33:27 »

Quote from: "spacey"

What an odd thing to say. If Lumps had said that rugby players claim benefits that they aren't entitled to and eat babies, then I'd be able to see where you're coming from. If Lumps had said that he'd seen a medical report saying that a recent study proved that rugby players give you cancer, then fair enough.I've read Lumps' post and I'm sure I've not seen any mention of how rugby effects house prices. Anyway I'm fairly certain that your average Daily Mail reader will have the collars of their rugby shirts pointing upwards with pride this morning.

Ahhh but i happen to know that lumps is indeed an avid daily mail reader so my point is valid.

Foggy

Ketchup wanker

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:34:04 »

Quote from: "spacey"
It's fucking scum landlords that take all the houses.

And all the good cheese in waitrose

spacey

« Reply #103 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 09:36:25 »

Ahhh but i happen to know that lumps is indeed an avid daily mail reader so my point is valid.

This saddens me.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, October 15, 2007, 10:03:18 »

I happen to like watching a forward dominated game with the odd clean break or wide move.  I think it makes the game tense and keeps it very seperate to watching football.  It's also a way of playing that I have great respect for in so far as the sods put their bodies on the line over and over again.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: