Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Rugby  (Read 12470 times)
STFC Village

« Reply #75 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 15:14:45 »

Quote from: "Lumps"
Quote from: "STFC Village"
The game used to involve players called backs running with the ball and passing and stuff but that's something only the "naive" south sea islands players bother with now because it's all a bit too exciting and entertaining to be considered proper professional rugby.
That's why it's called "test" rugby, it's meant to be a challenge.

You don't play 7's rugby in test matches, much the same as you don't play "hit & giggle" 20/20 in test matches in cricket.

The voice of someone who only noticed the game existed when England started winning the 5 nations and consequently thinks that's the way the game should be and has always been played.
Oh, my apologies, i didn't realise being young made me automatically wrong
sonic youth

« Reply #76 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 15:15:17 »

of course it does, now become older immediately!
Lumps

« Reply #77 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 16:01:39 »

The game used to involve players called backs running with the ball and passing and stuff but that's something only the "naive" south sea islands players bother with now because it's all a bit too exciting and entertaining to be considered proper professional rugby.
That's why it's called "test" rugby, it's meant to be a challenge.

You don't play 7's rugby in test matches, much the same as you don't play "hit & giggle" 20/20 in test matches in cricket.

The voice of someone who only noticed the game existed when England started winning the 5 nations and consequently thinks that's the way the game should be and has always been played.
Oh, my apologies, i didn't realise being young made me automatically wrong

Hey you don't have to be old to be aware that Rugby was being played before the mid '90's and didn't always look like a somebody had absent mindedly thrown an odd shaped ball into a sumo wrestlers gang bang.

They still show the odd old game on the Sky every now and again, and the DVD's are available everywhere. Fuck me you can't have failed to notice that even the presenters off the games on TV and radio (who are paid to pretend that this shit is the most exciting STUFF EVER!) preface almost every review with the phrase "well it wasn't  a classic".  They know that a bunch of 22-28 stone blokes shoving each other up and down a pitch for 80 minutes punctuated only by the kicking of penalties or for touch into the corners isn't a hugely entertaining spectacle.

Test matches DIDN'T always get played like that, and I defy anyone to argue that it's some kind of fucking improvement. England winning the World Cup four years ago was a fucking disaster for the game. It's as if Egil Olsten's Norway won the football world cup, and all the leading sides in the world suddenly thought "Oh shit, a fucking tedious long ball game based on a tight defence and well drilled set pieces is the way to win at this game" and started trying to emulate it.

Fuck me England have even managed to get France playing like a bunch of cunts.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #78 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 17:04:35 »

I have a hunch Lumps doesn't like English rugby.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 17:13:59 »

I think they will win it now

I come from a land down-under
Reeves for King

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 17:54:54 »

Rugby fans sing shit, slow songs. Especially chanting at the telly. Not upper class that, what what.

here's the man himself when you need him?
Lumps

« Reply #81 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 18:13:34 »

Quote from: "Si Pie"
I have a hunch Lumps doesn't like English rugby.

Now where would you get an idea like that from Cheesy

To be fair, I didn't have any more of an issue with the England side than I did with any other of the home international rivals until Clive "the professor" Woodward turned them into a turgid rucking and mauling machine.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 18:14:53 »

I don't care if we play ugly rugby. The fact is we are in the final and the Argies are in the semis for it as well. It wins games.
Gelbfüßler

Was gücksch?

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 19:45:27 »

Rugby's excellent, it was shit during the 6 nations but now it's excellent  Cool

Pretty much as good as bandwagons and getting one over the convicts and napolean.

Wir lassen uns unsere Liebe nicht nehmen
Nicht von den Bullen und nicht vom DFB
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 20:15:44 »

meh, you play to your strengths in any sport.

If england football won the world cup playing long ball hoofball i doubt many people would mind.

Things get better but they never get good
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 20:16:37 »

SA in the final then unless the argies can do something miraculous.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 21:04:07 »

England v South Africa it is then. It won't be 36-0 this time (well maybe in our favour  Soapy Tit Wank )
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #87 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 21:17:57 »

Quote from: "Iffy's Onion Bhaji"
England v South Africa it is then. It won't be 36-0 this time (well maybe in our favour  Soapy Tit Wank )

41-0 to them?
STFC Village

« Reply #88 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 22:29:31 »

Fuck me England have even managed to get France playing like a bunch of cunts.
Maybe so, but us bandwagon jumpers couldn't give a monkeys Beers
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, October 14, 2007, 23:27:25 »

Quote from: "STFC dave"
meh, you play to your strengths in any sport.

If england football won the world cup playing long ball hoofball i doubt many people would mind.

he's right. winning is everything. Especially for a nation of "gallant losers" like us
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: