Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC V Newport County FC  (Read 48060 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:10:23 »

Well done. You need backup to make them feel isolated though.
tbf, they're not bad blokes, they've been going for years and despite bamboo's blanket characterisation that "they're not fans",they are loyal fans. Just chose to express their opinion in an unhelpful (IMO) way today. Wouldn't want to make them feel isolated, just maybe have a think about when/how to express an opinion they're quite entitled to hold
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:12:30 »

AMARANTH STAG - A heads up. His surname is Iandolo not Landolo.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Flashheart

« Reply #227 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:15:00 »

tbf, they're not bad blokes, they've been going for years and despite bamboo's blanket characterisation that "they're not fans",they are loyal fans.

It's known as a 'No true Scotsman fallacy'.

HTH
REDBUCK

« Reply #228 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:15:41 »

Iandolo looks good when we are in control, on the front foot and he has a wicked cross on him.  He looks a bit at sea when the pressure comes on and loses his starting position quite frequently.  You'd say he would improve with a run of games, so we should probably stick with him, but that is exactly where you want either a central defender or the holding midfielder to talk him through it more often.  I don;t see that happening much.  Hopefully we continue to press on other teams and we get more of the good than the bad.

Taylor did exactly this when Landolo threw a poor throw-in back towards Nelson which put us under pressure. Dunne did it but in a more bad cop way.

I wouldn't expect our two CH's to be able to do it when they are still learning the game as well, especially when they apparently are giving a going over.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:21:08 »

tbf, they're not bad blokes, they've been going for years and despite bamboo's blanket characterisation that "they're not fans",they are loyal fans. Just chose to express their opinion in an unhelpful (IMO) way today. Wouldn't want to make them feel isolated, just maybe have a think about when/how to express an opinion they're quite entitled to hold

I don’t think the old “entitled to their opinion” defence should apply to anyone booing their own player before he’s come on. Some things are indefensible. 

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:23:17 »

That old chestnut. I guess that makes it all ok then? I'm not averse to booing but booing a player coming on for a 5min cameo, to sure up the defence is fucking odd. Couldn't care less if it was their first game or their 1000th. In fact it would be even worse behaviour from those who should know better. Too many scoops of piss water pre-match, likely.

"We've been fucking these young boys in the church for years!"

"Yes but it's not acceptable any more."

"Well i'm going to do it anyway - I've been a loyal servant to the church for years!"

As you were  Soapy Tit Wank

'Incessant Nonsense'

Flashheart

« Reply #231 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:26:06 »

That old chestnut. I guess that makes it all ok then?

And that's a strawman fallacy.

He didn't say it makes it OK.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:27:37 »

It's known as a 'No true Scotsman fallacy'.

HTH

No true Town fan would do such a thing...

'Incessant Nonsense'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:32:48 »

That old chestnut. I guess that makes it all ok then? I'm not averse to booing but booing a player coming on for a 5min cameo, to sure up the defence is fucking odd. Couldn't care less if it was their first game or their 1000th. In fact it would be even worse behaviour from those who should know better. Too many scoops of piss water pre-match, likely.
TLDR - you don't get to judge whether they're "proper fans" or not. And it's "shore up".
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:33:24 »

And that's a strawman fallacy.

He didn't say it makes it OK.

Of course but his writing manner was in a defensive tone, countering my response. Maybe we can say he implied that they are good blokes purely because "they've been going for years" when this doesn't necessarily mean that they are.

'Incessant Nonsense'

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:34:37 »

I don’t think the old “entitled to their opinion” defence should apply to anyone booing their own player before he’s come on. Some things are indefensible.  
Agree which is why I gave them a mouthful. I phrased that badly, tbf, just trying to explain why I wouldn't want them to feel isolated. Isolated in thinking that was acceptable maybe
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:37:26 »

Of course but his writing manner was in a defensive tone, countering my response. Maybe we can say he implied that they are good blokes purely because "they've been going for years" when this doesn't necessarily mean that they are.
No, they're alright blokes because they are. And they have been going for years, because they have no more sense than I have. That doesn't entitle them to be arseholes but it does mean I'll cut them quite a lot of slack.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:48:10 »

No, they're alright blokes because they are. And they have been going for years, because they have no more sense than I have. That doesn't entitle them to be arseholes but it does mean I'll cut them quite a lot of slack.

*Devil's Advocate

They are alright blokes, in your opinion. Which of course I respect. Totally understand the no more sense and going for years part - it is something many of us are/will be guilty of doing. It's one of the mysteries of life!

As for shore up or sure up;

I was sure that I could use either. Pretty certain one is to support and the other is to secure?

'Incessant Nonsense'

RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:48:14 »

Just add my tuppence worth.

Assuming he will become fit again before season's virtualy over, I would think 'toums should be kept on.  For a foot in, holding player he has that touch of class that I feel could be a vital option at season's end, especially if we were in the play offs.

And Woolery.  His finish today (and running off the ball for Doughty after setting Doughty up for a driving run forward and return) reminded me of the Don.  Like his goal against Exeter last season.

Do that half a dozen times again this season and I'll be feeling a manlove inappropriate fpor my age.  He does need players to spot his runs and Doughty could be that man.  As a lovely thread for Price's second showed against Stevenage.

Can we keep those two fit though?
Flashheart

« Reply #239 on: Saturday, December 8, 2018, 19:53:08 »

Wellens said something about looking for a holding midfielder in January, which surprised me.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: